What's your muzzleloader setup this season?

17 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Would the revolver qualify as a “muzzleloader” for the purpose of     deer hunting?

It is a muzzle loader, just like a cap and ball pistol, but with a long barrel and a stock.

I am not that experienced with black powder or muzzle loaders so a quick question for those of you that are. 

With a modern muzzle loader like a CVA Optima or similar, 209 primers, and Triple 7 pellets (100 gr) what is the maximum safe effective range you would feel is appropriate for a humane/effective kill on a Tennessee size whitetail buck (8 to 10 point)?

I am not asking for myself but as general knowledge. This came up with a conversation I had with a coworker about what sounded like an unethical shot that wounded a decent size buck. It sounded like he hit low and forward (not enough hold over for the distance) and possibly lost the energy needed to do the internal damage needed to bring it down. They saw hit, buck, and kick. They trailed it and even found some blood but not what looked like a critical amount. They looked for several hours apparently but had no luck finding the animal or more blood trail. 

I know not every shot goes according to plan and if you hunt a good bit it may happen but it sounds like this particular hunter should have had more patients and tried to get the buck in closer or passed on the shot. 

Side note, I have an old 45 cal H&R break action muzzle loader I acquired. I may get it out this Thursday or Friday to see if I can get some meat for the dehydrator and freezer. 

Edited by OldIronFan
3 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

I am not that experienced with black powder or muzzle loaders so a quick question for those of you that are. 

With a modern muzzle loader like a CVA Optima or similar, 209 primers, and Triple 7 pellets (100 gr) what is the maximum safe effective range you would feel is appropriate for a humane/effective kill on a Tennessee size whitetail buck (8 to 10 point)?

I am not asking for myself but as general knowledge. This came up with a conversation I had with a coworker about what sounded like an unethical shot that wounded a decent size buck. It sounded like he hit low and forward (not enough hold over for the distance) and possibly lost the energy needed to do the internal damage needed to bring it down. They saw hit, buck, and kick. They trailed it and even found some blood but not what looked like a critical amount. They looked for several hours apparently but had no luck finding the animal or more blood trail. 

I know not every shot goes according to plan and if you hunt a good bit it may happen but it sounds like this particular hunter should have had more patients and tried to get the buck in closer or passed on the shot. 

Side note, I have an old 45 cal H&R break action muzzle loader I acquired. I may get it out this Thursday or Friday to see if I can get some meat for the dehydrator and freezer. 

It depends on what you consider a modern muzzleloader. I'm running a 275 arrowhead bullet at 2850. I zero at 200 yards. My MZ is not your normal muzzleloader though. 

DSC-0861.jpg

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Modern inline muzzle loaders are very capable out to 200 yards.  For 200 yards I would be shooting 150 grains of powder.  For 100 gr I would keep my shots to 100 yards just because of the drop past 100.

That is inline with what I was thinking. His stated his shot was about 243 yards on his laser range finder. He claimed he took a wide 6 pointer at 270 yards a few years ago with the same muzzle loader. 

I am guessing he did not get the drop right this time and had lost enough energy/velocity that anything less than ideal shot placement was going to be ineffective at that range. 

On 11/8/2021 at 5:14 AM, RED333 said:

It is a muzzle loader, just like a cap and ball pistol, but with a long barrel and a stock.

Technically, it is not a muzzleloader, as you do not load it from the muzzle, but from the front of the cylinder. I'm not trying to be obstinate, but have always wondered about that. I once saw a guy shoot a deer with a Colt Navy replica. I didn't figure it was legal, bur never knew for sure.

• Like 1
On 11/8/2021 at 6:07 PM, Alleycat72 said:

It depends on what you consider a modern muzzleloader. I'm running a 275 arrowhead bullet at 2850. I zero at 200 yards. My MZ is not your normal muzzleloader though. 

DSC-0861.jpg

My father has built some smokeless muzzleoaders. From what I've seen, I'd say the sky is the limit as long as the shooter is capable.

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

My father has built some smokeless muzzleoaders. From what I've seen, I'd say the sky is the limit as long as the shooter is capable.

I used to work in a machine shop with a guy that built them on Remington and Savage actions with Pac-Nor barrels. He said they would knock you d--- in the dirt. 😮

33 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I used to work in a machine shop with a guy that built them on Remington and Savage actions with Pac-Nor barrels. He said they would knock you d--- in the dirt. 😮

They can. They also give you coke can size holes on the off side. You have to realize that they have more horsepower than a 338 Lapua. They do not have the BC of the 338 though. 

• Like 3