Deer hunting with a Glock 20.

Having recently picked up a Glock 20 for hunting purposes, I’m now trying to gather some info from those of you who may have used one for hunting (or any handgun for that matter).  

I’ve ordered a set of suppressor height sights as well as a Holosun 407C but am now second guessing the decision. I won’t really have any shots over 50 yards if that far in my designated  hunting spot and am thinking I may be happier with a nice set of irons.  I’m also concerned with the durability of the dots on a 10MM that will eventually shoot the hotter loads. Unfortunately I can’t really test it out without having the slide milled but I did have some experience with my Sig P365XL and the micro dots.   I didn’t really care for the smaller window.  On a hunting gun with a larger optic though I doubt that will matter much.  Hoping ya’ll can share some experiences and possibly offer some advice.

I had a Glock 40 MOS with a RMR.  The 40 is basically the same gun but with a  6" barrel.  

I would shoot some pretty stout Underwood ammo hunting rounds thru it and the RMR had no problem handling the recoil.

I preferred the RMR over irons sights for hunting.  Made for quick shooting when I was stalking through thickets.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I had a Glock 40 MOS with a RMR.  The 40 is basically the same gun but with a  6" barrel.  

I would shoot some pretty stout Underwood ammo hunting rounds thru it and the RMR had no problem handling the recoil.

I preferred the RMR over irons sights for hunting.  Made for quick shooting when I was stalking through thickets.

Did you ever take any game with it?

I would like to say yes but this damn cedar tree jumped right in front of my bullet.   I have taken some does with a 10mm 1911.  The 10mm does a great job on deer.  None of my shots were over 60-65 yards and all the deer went less than 50 yards before pilling up.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I would like to say yes but this damn cedar tree jumped right in front of my bullet.   I have taken some does with a 10mm 1911.  The 10mm does a great job on deer.  None of my shots were over 60-65 yards and all the deer went less than 50 yards before pilling up.

I just went out and tried it at 50 yards with the factory sights. I can manage an 8-10” group which isn’t great but should bode well for a dot.  I’d like to stick with the robustness and simplicity of irons but I won’t be trekking through the wilderness. I’m just tired of toting an 8lb rifle and want to try something new and cool. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
14 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

The challenge now will be to find someone who can mill the slide by Nov 6. I’d love to find someone local but  coming up empty. I have an email out to Battlewerx to see what their lead times are. Worst case I can just carry a rifle. 

I think Royal Range offers slide milling.  I know Nashville is a bit of a haul for you but maybe shipping is an option for them and you.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
31 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

The challenge now will be to find someone who can mill the slide by Nov 6. I’d love to find someone local but  coming up empty. I have an email out to Battlewerx to see what their lead times are. Worst case I can just carry a rifle. 

Check with John at Cypress Creek Outdoors in Dyersburg. He milled the slide on my CD HiPower and has done a lot of other Smith work for me. If you explain to him the time constraints I don’t see it being much of an issue. 

• Like 2
On 10/16/2021 at 7:00 PM, maroonandwhite said:

Check with Ken Mays he is local.  He has done a lot of work for many Memphis shooters.  He is also a member of TGO and his forum name is Ken Mays.

• Like 1

I’ve actually changed course a bit. I’m considering going with a set of Dawson Precision adjustable sights in place of an optic. I have all of it coming in the mail and am going to try to mock up and compare. I’ll keep the iron sights  either way so I’ll probably try them out at distance this weekend and see how it goes. If I’m not satisfied with the groupings at 50 then I may just purchase a replacement slide that’s already cut. Im just not crazy about milling the stock slide the more I think about it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Decided to keep this in the same thread… does anyone ever use a chest holster when hunting, hiking around property, etc? I decided to go ahead and get the slide milled and run a dot. (I’m wish washy I know) I’m thinking that an already large gun sticking off of my hip may end up grabbing every branch I walk past. 

A lot of people online recommend the Gunfighters Inc. Kenai chest rig but for $150 I’d have to really love it 😂. It does seem like it would be handy for maneuvering through the woods but also in the side by side, the tractor, deer stands etc. 

No specific experience, but I do have a friend (don’t we all) who used a Hill People Gear kit bag when in bear country hiking around. He loved it and the fact it was more versatile than a typical chest rig. It carried comfortably over or under a jacket. Will definitely keep the brush out of the way. Not sure what it would be like with an orange vest during hunting season. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, darsk20 said:

No specific experience, but I do have a friend (don’t we all) who used a Hill People Gear kit bag when in bear country hiking around. He loved it and the fact it was more versatile than a typical chest rig. It carried comfortably over or under a jacket. Will definitely keep the brush out of the way. Not sure what it would be like with an orange vest during hunting season. 

Those were on the radar as well. May actually be more valuable in a hunting situation but less so in a “ work around the house/property situation.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, KahrMan said:

For hunting, Uncle mikes makes some decent, inexpensive chest rigs.  Don't have a suggestions for wearing on the hip while working around the property.

Your recommendation led me down the nylon rabbit hole and I landed on the Diamond D Denali. Seems like it’s be way more comfortable, half the price and should fit more guns if needed.

I can’t wait to get this whole rig set up. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well here is the final product. I’m very happen with how it turned out and feel much more confident with the red dot. I’ll admit that while I didn’t care for the 507K on the smaller guns, I’m a fan of the slightly larger dots.   This Diamond D Denali chest holster is very comfortable as well. I wore it around the woods for about and hour and barely noticed it. 

I was planning to add the new Timney Glock trigger but was told by Timney that it’s still in the prototype phase for the large frame Glocks.

I neglected to take a picture of the job Battlewerx did but it was about as good as you could expect. The fit was PERFECT with no movement in any direction. They also had it milled and sent back within one day of receipt (no coating applied).

5E6B36A9-3831-481C-BDAF-8FE5D974A1D5.jpeg

DE3A18FC-9C09-4496-870F-25E907C45127.jpeg

• Like 3