RIP Colin Powell

Swamp ash

Sad. He was a good man. Didn't care for some things he had said in the last few years, but overall seemed a true partiot who worked for the betterment of his country.

My condolences for his family.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 5
20 minutes ago, hipower said:

Sad. He was a good man. Didn't care for some things he had said in the last few years, but overall seemed a true partiot who worked for the betterment of his country.

My condolences for his family.

I agree.  I read his book and it was obvious he was a little bit more political while in the Army, but still, a good man.

• Like 3

Story had it that Powell was the one that stopped the 101st Airborne from advancing on into Bagdad after Saddam when they were in striking distance. Stupid move. You know what happened later. We went back again after Saddam & his weapons of mass destruction.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He had cancer and parkinson's and was 84.   Even a lesser case was enough.

Dunno how long he'd had the multiple myeloma, but it's basically a  6ish year death sentence, with plenty of misery on the journey -- and yes both the disease and the treatment make you uber vulnerable to all types of infections that most folks even of the same age would just shrug off.

(My dad died of it, and actually lasted about 8 years from diagnosis).

- OS

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I can’t be the only one here who sees they are simply making this chit up as they go along. Cancer rendered the vaccine useless? That’s a new one.

Do explain how the vaccine could not have been rendered useless by the cancer, Dr. Greg.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Why the hell was it administered to him if it were useless? Think for yourself my good man! Don’t allow others to dictate what you believe. Especially those who have political or financial motivations.

The most obvious question is: Do you think that they knew the vaccine would be useless at the time of administration?

Do you think there's a possibility that they figured the risk versus reward warranted the vaccine? Did he get the less effective vaccine which would have been weakened further by his condition?

There are numerous variables to consider which is why a discussion with your doctor is recommended rather than a discussion with some unknown chump/quack on the Internet.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, E4 No More said:

The most obvious question is: Do you think that they knew the vaccine would be useless at the time of administration?

Do you think there's a possibility that they figured the risk versus reward warranted the vaccine? Did he get the less effective vaccine which would have been weakened further by his condition?

There are numerous variables to consider which is why a discussion with your doctor is recommended rather than a discussion with some unknown chump/quack on the Internet.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
16 hours ago, gregintenn said:

No idea. It does lend credence to my statement, however, that they are just making it up as they go along.

You'd be far ahead discussing these things with your doctor than with someone like me. I fully agree. I'd also say you'd be better off not listening to politicians and talking heads on the news for medical advice.

I think @E4 No More is a physician himself so I imagine he is quite used to seeking medical research for giving patients advice.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Multiple myeloma is a blood cancer that specifically affects the bodies B cells.  Those B cells are the "memory" that remember how to produce antibodies that the body needs to fight off infections. Without effective B cell response - your body is going to have a tough time fighting off the virus.

So, yes.  Covid was the disease that killed him. He had a condition that made him more susceptible to all infections - many of which might have done it. SARS-CoV-2 was just the virus that jumped to the front of the line.

Vaccines help the body form antibodies that remembered by the body's T cells and B cells. So, someone with a condition like Secretary Powell's would still get some benefit from the vaccine - but any infection could be deadly.  

We're looking forward to some of the nasal spray vaccines that will help to mitigate respiratory viruses closer to the infection point.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I believe you are correct. He isn't the only one reading these posts, however.

You mean the 5 posts of anti-vax propaganda you rudely inserted into a thread commemorating the passing of a military leader and former Secretary of State?

To parse it terms you applied to the UT fans at the Ole Miss game, "That was a trashy, despicable display".

An entire thread is dedicated to COVID. You ought to confine your wild, unsubstantiated ideas on that topic, there.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

You mean the 5 posts of anti-vax propaganda you rudely inserted into a thread commemorating the passing of a military leader and former Secretary of State?

To parse it terms you applied to the UT fans at the Ole Miss game, "That was a trashy, despicable display".

An entire thread is dedicated to COVID. You ought to confine your wild, unsubstantiated ideas on that topic, there.

Sorry I poo pooed on your thread.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1