John Wayne Revolver

Luckyforward

I know there's a lot of people that live & breathe this kinda stuff, but I've never been into hero worship. I like John Wayne, watch his movies many times, but wouldn't pay that kind of money ( even if I had it ), for something he owned. Never made sense to me to stand in line for something with their signature on it, unless it's a good check.

To each his/her own, but count me out. JMHO

• Like 2

According to those who keep up with this sort of stuff, there's only two commemoratives in pistols that held their value or increased. These are the Franklin Mint-type of guns whose ads we see in the NRA magazines. The two they claim are the Texas Sequential models & the John Wayne models. Disagree or agree, that's what they say.

I think the fact that True Grit is thought by many to be a Top 5 (or even Top 3) western is what drove the value of this sale. Obviously the gun used by Glen Campbell wouldn't have drawn that much, Wayne's legend drove it as well. But *I* doubt a gun from some other Wayne movie would've brought this sort of price, IMO.

I wonder who the buyer was/is? And will he shoot it?聽聽馃

42 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm a long time fan of John Wayne. But I just can't see that kind of money just because he owned it.聽

OTOH: I have been known to pay too much for something just because I wanted it.聽馃檮

I'm sure we all have. but not approaching that figure.

17 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

I know there's a lot of people that live & breathe this kinda stuff, but I've never been into hero worship. I like John Wayne, watch his movies many times, but wouldn't pay that kind of money ( even if I had it ), for something he owned. Never made sense to me to stand in line for something with their signature on it, unless it's a good check.

To each his/her own, but count me out. JMHO

I feel the same way.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

IF I were some eccentric that collected these kinds of things and money were no object id much rather invest in firearms from real individuals than Hollywood props. But thats me 馃槒

Those were all working, shooting firearms. No fakes with filled barrels in order to shoot blanks.

Last *I* looked, John Wayne was pretty real.聽

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Those were all working, shooting firearms. No fakes with filled barrels in order to shoot blanks.

Last *I* looked, John Wayne was pretty real.聽

Lmao that wasn't even his real name 馃ぃ.

Capone Hitler Patton York Murphy Hickok Earp the list can go on but those were real people using real guns for real purposes.聽

On 10/21/2021 at 3:09 PM, bobsguns said:

Yes, that's been well known for decades. I don't know of any actors of that era who used their real birth names, ....

Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, too many more to mention. Matter of fact, seems most of the male top stars of the 30s-60's went by their birth names.

- OS

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Henry Fonda, Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, too many more to mention. Matter of fact, seems most of the male top stars of the 30s-60's went by their birth names.

Could very well be, I don't know. I know studios had no hesitation on changing someone's name for PR purposes.聽