Springfield is teasing something

Chucktshoes

26 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

What I really want to see out of them is something that nobody else has done before.

A light rail. 

Not sure how I feel about that. But all the purists (me included) about rails on a 1911. So I guess I could get used to it.

• Like 1

What I want to see is for Springfield to do a lightweight Detective Model. I'd buy that at twice the price. 🙏

But if the SA-35 is half as successful as I think its gonna be, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Springfield make versions nobody ever dreamed of before. 😉

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TGO David said:

Is the OEM barrel sub-par?  I have read various reports talking about how good it is.

I may be more than just a bit prejudiced against SA OEM barrels. My first 1911 was a SA & it had a two-piece barrel, which left a lot to be desired. I swapped in a Wilson NM barrel & groups dropped to less than half. XD's that I have shot were also less than impressive in accuracy, at least to my standards. 

I admit to using an extremely high standard here. I'm basing my standards on the guns I own: Baers, Night Hawks, CZ Custom Shop, target pistols like Walther, Beretta, Hammerli, etc. I also admit that might be an unfair comparison. All of those guns cost about twice (or more) than what the new HP will cost. About like putting a Pontiac against a BMW or something. 

On the lighter side, I've done a couple of things for this gun that I've never done before. I've bought extra mags, I've ordered grip screws & will be ordering new grips this weekend. All this I've not even held the gun in my hand yet.  😆

Were I the Devil, I would get a copy of the HP sales numbers & fax them to Browning's head offices. Sign it with a big fat "thanks!" at the bottom of it. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bobsguns said:

I may be more than just a bit prejudiced against SA OEM barrels. My first 1911 was a SA & it had a two-piece barrel, which left a lot to be desired. I swapped in a Wilson NM barrel & groups dropped to less than half. XD's that I have shot were also less than impressive in accuracy, at least to my standards. 

I admit to using an extremely high standard here. I'm basing my standards on the guns I own: Baers, Night Hawks, CZ Custom Shop, target pistols like Walther, Beretta, Hammerli, etc. I also admit that might be an unfair comparison. All of those guns cost about twice (or more) than what the new HP will cost. About like putting a Pontiac against a BMW or something. 

On the lighter side, I've done a couple of things for this gun that I've never done before. I've bought extra mags, I've ordered grip screws & will be ordering new grips this weekend. All this I've not even held the gun in my hand yet.  😆

Were I the Devil, I would get a copy of the HP sales numbers & fax them to Browning's head offices. Sign it with a big fat "thanks!" at the bottom of it. 

If you do decide to replace the barrel, I highly suggest checking out the match barrels from BHSpringSolutions. They’re the go to folks for upgrades and aftermarket parts for the BHP. While you’re there, give their trigger for the BHP a gander. It’s got a different design that makes it much more closely resemble Browning’s original design and gives it more of a straight rearwaRd pull as is standard in a Browning handgun design. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

If you do decide to replace the barrel, I highly suggest checking out the match barrels from BHSpringSolutions

They do offer nice aftermarket part options, IMO. 

Their barrels are $279 & up. I can get a Bar-Sto barrel for $249 AND Bar-Sto will fit it for me. I haven't looked at Nolin or Kart options yet. 

I'm going to go on the wild assumption that the maker of a top tier 1911 barrel is also going to make a top tier HP barrel as well. 

• Administrator
On 11/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, Whisper said:

My magazines arrived today.  Both the packaging and the mags themselves say "Made in Italy."

Now I need to find one of the guns.  But until then, I guess these mags will work fine in my FEG....

You know how you say "Browning Hi-Power Magazines" in Italian?

With both hands. 🤌 🤌

• Haha 2

Same here. I keep asking what the High Power will do that my Glock, Xd or M&P won’t do ?  But that probably won’t stop me from getting one when the prices come down.

I wonder if anyone at Browning is thinking they should have got the Croations to make the pistol for them?

1 hour ago, gary_boom said:

Same here. I keep asking what the High Power will do that my Glock, Xd or M&P won’t do ?  

Make you smile when you shoot it? Make you think about that at one time the HP was THE most mil issued handgun in the world? Restore some of your soul with shooting an all-metal gun over a polymer one?  😉

I wonder if anyone at Browning is thinking they should have got the Croations to make the pistol for them?

I've never known Browning to be a company who listens & responds to their customers. I could be wrong on this, but that's coming from a huge Browning fan (me). They currently make nothing larger in caliber than .380acp, which is sad. 

With just a few tweaks (mag capacity for starters), they could've kept the HP in play & in production with any of the full-sized pistols, IMO. They could've gone the route blazed by Sig with their P-226, a full-sized pistol which is still selling nicely with models such as their Tac Ops. 

Many shooters, including myself, believe the HP is THE best looking pistol ever made. With a good barrel, they were also among THE most accurate. Yet Browning managed to piss all of that away somehow. They must've hired some former Remington exec's or something? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Make you smile when you shoot it? Make you think about that at one time the HP was THE most mil issued handgun in the world? Restore some of your soul with shooting an all-metal gun over a polymer one?  😉

I've never known Browning to be a company who listens & responds to their customers. I could be wrong on this, but that's coming from a huge Browning fan (me). They currently make nothing larger in caliber than .380acp, which is sad. 

With just a few tweaks (mag capacity for starters), they could've kept the HP in play & in production with any of the full-sized pistols, IMO. They could've gone the route blazed by Sig with their P-226, a full-sized pistol which is still selling nicely with models such as their Tac Ops. 

Many shooters, including myself, believe the HP is THE best looking pistol ever made. With a good barrel, they were also among THE most accurate. Yet Browning managed to piss all of that away somehow. They must've hired some former Remington exec's or something? 

I think they definitely the most comfortable shooting 9mm!

10 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Then don't buy one. Just leaves one more out there for the rest of us. 😆

Funny, but i do feel the same. No pistols should ever be sold with one magazine. Ruger is notorious for this. It rankles me, but not enough to not buy one. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

You can be wrong, I'm okay with it. 

I’m not, but that’s OK.

Not everything that needs to be illuminated, needs to be muzzled. But sometimes you need to illuminate something that does need to be muzzled, and you still need your other hand free as well.

A weapon light doesn’t replace a handheld, but it does compliment it.