LAPD chooses FN for new service pistol

bobsguns

Didn't see this posted.

LAPD has chosen the FN 509 MRD-LE as their new handgun of choice. I believe they went with the non-optic mounted version but they do have the optic plate on the slide.

Pic below.

As a FN fan myself, I'm happy for them to beat out Glock. 

FN 509 MRD-LE.jpg

Edited by bobsguns
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

And yet the citizens of California can’t purchase one as it is not on the roster of handguns considered to be safe for the public to own. 

Only because FN wouldn't buckle under & pay the blackmail to have it approved. That whole roster thing is nothing but a money grabbing scam. Big surprise there, IMO. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Only because FN wouldn't buckle under & pay the blackmail to have it approved. That whole roster thing is nothing but a money grabbing scam. Big surprise there, IMO. 

Well, not everyone has the stones AND the scruples to tell the onliest ones like CA government agencies to piss off like Ronnie Barrett did. 

• Like 5
17 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

I wish more companies were like Barrett.  Ronnie refused to sell his rifles to LAPD because civilians could not own them.

Actually he went further than that.

LAPD sent him a rifle for repair/refurbishment. He had it in his possession. Once the new gun laws passed, he not only refused to repair it, he refused to SHIP it back to them. He MADE them come & get the thing themselves. So one (or two) deputies flew in from CA, retrieved the rifle & then flew back to CA with it, unrepaired. 

Cheers for Mr. Barrett, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm really curious if the trigger is different than the 509 I handled. It had the worst trigger I've ever dry fired. It was so bad I made a comment and the gun store employee shook his head and agreed. Actually shockingly bad. 

Possibly that one was a defective model or had manufacturing debris inside of it.  The FN 509s that I have owned all had pretty good triggers out of the box.  Good enough that I didn't see much need in the Apex trigger that I bought, installed and summarily removed.

The trigger pull on the 509 does run a but heavy at first, but the more you fire it the better it gets.  Like most guns, I suppose.

I'd like to have another 509MRD.  Maybe I'll pick one up one of these days.  Other than having a pretty complicated sear design, the gun is really what most Glock 19 fans want out of a Glock 19 but can't get without customization or without going to a Glock-pattern gun from someone else.

• Like 1

Many believe the Goock Mdl 19 Gen 5 is the best pistol ever off the shelf. Me, I am with SW MP 9 C fans for my plastic pistols. Looked at a gen 5 mdl 19, at Barret's in Murfreesboro, a couple days ago, for 469.00 + tax. Have a gen 3 that spits hot brass back into my face/neck every now and then. I guess I should send it back to Glock and have the ejector repaired. Carry the M P 9 C insted. Seems everyone likes to hate on  Glocks.   

• Like 1

I went down that S&W rabbit hole with a Gen 1 M&P C .45ACP.  Hated it.  Traded it for a Springfield XDs .45acp and never regretted it at all.  Worst trigger I ever pulled.  Gritty, with a hard stack.  And the grip reminded me of a a thick broom handle.  Just nothing I liked about that pistol.

Picked up a FNH FNS9 and instantly fell in love with it.  Retired my Glock 17.  The FNS is my serious CCP now.  That's to say if I know I'm going into what could be a dangerous situation, then that's the pistol I'm taking with me.  It fits my hand, perfectly and I shoot it very well.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, Chucktshoes said:

And yet the citizens of California can’t purchase one as it is not on the roster of handguns considered to be safe for the public to own. 

Do as we say....NOT as we do.

I dont miss that place in the least!

On 10/21/2021 at 9:21 PM, bobsguns said:

Actually its more of a defacto ban in that they added a requirement that for new roster adds to have microstamping of cases (for most pistols), the exorbitant testing fee was more smoke and mirrors to detract from what was really going on.  Adding a tech they knew did not exist and their advisors told them (at the time) would not really be feasible anytime in the near future. Ca typical and obvious long game march to ban all firearms eventually, like the AW ban. Though instead of no longer allowing a gun to pass hands and dying with the owner, they relied on manufacturers to stop making legacy models in the hope one day the entire roster would not be in production.

CA loved companies like Glock. Glock just said, no, we can keep cranking out the Gen 3 along with whatever Gen we are on. We love those CA dollars.

Great to see some move for the FN. I like my 509 quite a bit.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I had a 509 that I didn't shoot well at all.  I have an FNX-9 that I like and find really interesting...it has a safety-lever that you move one way to use as a safety, and the other way to use as a decocker.  I also have a bunch of Hi Powers that I've done different things with.

7 hours ago, Steves2 said:

I had a 509 that I didn't shoot well at all. 

That surprises me. I've never had a FN gun that wasn't accurate. 

I too have a FNX-9 & it rivals my H&K USP's for accuracy. That's the highest compliment I can give a pistol, IMO. 

If FN would get off their butt & do some better marketing, people would discover how well built they are. They're an excellent buy for the price, IMO.