Baldwin shoots two on movie set, accidental misfire???

Don't remember his exact words but he suggested he let go of hammer after slowly pulling it back a little  under direction from someone. 

Just saw a clip on YouTube of that and him sort of crying. Don't know what difference hammer release vs trigger squeeze would make in his case so maybe there's truth to his story.  Even though he came across as fake in my opinion.

I think he knows more about guns than he's letting on but still believe an average ignorant actor in this situation would get off.

His involvement in the production side should go against him if things were fair though.

6 minutes ago, ac3boyz said:

Baldwin stated "I would never point a gun at a person and pull the trigger".

Pretty sure the rule is, "we don't ever point a gun at a person". Period.

This would suggest that he had prior  knowledge and training with gun safety.....did he just throw away his "ignorant actor" get out of jail for free card?? 

8 hours ago, RED333 said:

Just thing about all the people that will use the line as a defense in a trial, but the gun fired all by it self.

Exactly my point.

If he gets off on the charge with this excuse, it sets a legal precedent and will be referenced ad nauseum. Nobody will be responsible any longer. Sounds about right for libtards. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Guns don't just 'go off'.

Actually, they can.

Any gun with a hammer & sear combo can have the hammer fall due to the sear not doing its job. If a gun is old, for example, it may have a well-worn sear.

Another example is the 1911 hammer/sear kits that so many owners use in building their own 1911. They keep stoning the sear, trying to get it as smooth & light as possible. Eventually, they simply remove too much metal. George Patton almost had his military career ruined over this. As a butterball 2nd Lt he performed a "trigger job" on his 1911. He then took it to the range to test fire it & the thing ran full auto! Somehow he dodged a court martial, probably intervention by a higher up.

Short story long, a modern, well-kept handgun that's not been monkeyed with will in no way "fire on its own". Any half-assed DA should have the gun tested as well as examined by a top notch gunsmith to ensure it's functioning as it should.

Baldwin is nothing more than a #### weasel liar. Always has been, for that matter. 

• Thanks 1

Even if the sear did slip, the half cock notch should have caught the hammer if the trigger was at rest. That notch is much bigger than the sear and designed to stop the hammer fall unless the trigger is pulled. 

I, too, would very much like to have a competent gunsmith examine the gun and see what his report is. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Actually, they can.

I respectfully disagree (though we may be debating semantics)....

Lying on the table, it is an inert chunk of metal. It will not spontaneously throw a bullet.

Someone had to handle the inert metal object, insert at least one round into it, and hold/handle/manipulate said loaded metal chunk, thereby causing the above sequence of events with the hammer/sear.

If it sat there on the table unmolested, I would be my life it will not spontaneously 'go off'.

Human actions had to take place for that bullet to fire. That is the guilty party IMO. Basic gun safety rules were violated. 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

If it sat there on the table unmolested, I would be my life it will not spontaneously 'go off'.

All true. I would also add it could fire were it cocked & fell off of said table onto a hard surface, enough for it to jar the sear loose. Obviously it would have to be cocked given the hammer.

Baldwin thinks everyone is going to be enamored enough of his fame to give him a pass & believe his BS. He'll soon learn he's not in NYC nor LA. People in fly-over country don't give a fat furry rat's behind about either his fame nor his lies. 

I hope he ends up bankrupt, convicted & has nightmares every night for the rest of his life. He is the epitome of what's wrong with Hollyweird & a poster child for liberal eliteness. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, bobsguns said:

I would also add it could fire were it cocked & fell off of said table onto a hard surface, enough for it to jar the sear loose. Obviously it would have to be cocked given the hammer.

Nope. I keep telling you that the half cock notch would catch the hammer if the trigger is in the forward position. The trigger has to be pulled. Now if it were to fall off that table and land directly on the hammer with enough force to break parts, then it might fire. But that's highly improbable. 

The old, well known problem of a Colt SA going off if dropped is based on the hammer being fully forward. In that case the firing pin only has to travel a very short distance (maybe 1/4")  for it to contact the primer and there's nothing to get in the way. 

For Baldwin's gun to go off, the trigger had to have been pulled OR the gun had very serious mechanical problems. Surely one of you guys has a Colt style single action. Try it and back me up here. 

9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

For Baldwin's gun to go off, the trigger had to have been pulled OR the gun had very serious mechanical problems. Surely one of you guys has a Colt style single action. Try it and back me up here. 

I've owned Colt SA gun myself, I get what you're saying. But even a half-cock position will possibly allow a primer firing should it let go.

Besides, Baldwin says he didn't do it. Isn't that enough? (Yes, sarcasm) 

Lots of SA YouTubers posting the extreme improbability of no trigger discharge. They have the actual firearms and demonstrate on camera the 4 click positions.

Actor George Clooney weighing in doesn't give Baldwin any grace. Basically a seasoned actor that has had gun scenes before should have known to check and have the expert armorer check the gun with him prior to using it. Pretty damning interview. 

Baldwin's interview, what I've seen of it makes him look like an ass.

Add it all up and I'm tending to agree with the majority here that Baldwin the actor is guilty as well as Baldwin the producer.

• Like 3

I don't know all of the facts. I didn't watch the "interview". I neither like nor dislike Alec Baldwin. BUT

If ignorance is bliss Alec Baldwin thinks we are blissfully ignorant of the fact that he committed criminally negligent homicide.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Story

Mitchell claimed in a lawsuit filed in November that Baldwin should have checked the Colt .45 revolver he was holding to make sure it did not include live ammunition. Baldwin has said the assistant director told him the gun was “cold,” or safe to use and that he did not pull the trigger. Mitchell, who said she was in the line of fire, alleges assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and deliberate infliction of harm and is seeking unspecified damages in the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

"did not pull the trigger"

Well, now we know what defense he's going to try to use. 

If this scene was filmed, I would think it would show if his finger is or is not on the trigger. As gun owners ourselves, we all know guns don't "just go off". 

I hope when this is all over & done with, Baldwin is both in prison & bankrupted. 🤬

• Like 1

My guess is that Baldwin, or more likely the insurance carrier who provided coverage for the production company, will ultimately be out quite a bit for damages in related civil suits.  I'll be shocked if he is ever charged, let alone convicted in any criminal complaint ...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This jackass is going to get away with it............................. 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

Story

Meanwhile, Santa Fe’s district attorney, Mary Carmack-Altwies — who has worked as a public defender and later in a private capacity — spoke with Vanity Fair and told the publication that in her estimation following an "unofficial test" from her team, it is possible for a live round to be discharged from a firearm without the trigger being pulled.

"The notion that there’s sabotage — I mean, there is not one iota of evidence at this point," Carmack-Altwies added.

It was previously revealed that Lane Luper, one of the cameramen who walked off the job, texted unit production manager Katherine "Row" Walters days before Hutchins’ death to raise his concerns, according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed Tuesday by attorneys representing Hutchins' husband and young son.

"We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges," he told her, according to a screenshot of the message included with the lawsuit. "This is super unsafe."

"Accidental discharge on the firearms?" she allegedly replied. "Awesome."

• Angry 2

I'm surprised to read that from a DA. It sounds like she's on Baldwin's defense team.  Lawyers are usually precise in their language, and I suppose it IS possible for a firearm to discharge without pulling the trigger (for example pulling the hammer back to the point just before engagement, then allowing it fall forward on a live round in the chamber), but it's unlikely given the circumstances that Baldwin described.

Its a Colt style single action. Unless it has serious mechanical problems, No way it could go off without pulling the trigger. 

It may have a very light trigger which led to the 3 previous NDs, but the trigger has to be pulled. 

Sounds like hollywood BS to me. 💩

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Its a Colt style single action. Unless it has serious mechanical problems, No way it could go off without pulling the trigger. 

Who are you gonna believe? Your years of experience with firearms or a politically aware DA who wants Hollyweird to continue to bring $$$ to cash poor NM????

🤔

• Like 1

The Lawyer/team for the armorer put out a reenactment CGI video. 

I'm glad she has started defending herself but...

Not a good Idea with the fake vids. looks fake, looks weird especially now that they impose the people's faces on the characters and they have no expression. Maybe it plays well with younger gamer jurors but I dismiss that right away. A chart or diagram is fine for where everyone stood during the NG. A fake vid is a distraction.

Armorers lawyer did point out all the missteps up till the point where Baldwin fired. That was good.

Kept using the phrase "industry standards" as in long used standard rules and procedures for guns on sets. All of these were bypassed according to lawyer. 

Edited by OLDNEWBIE

Well, I'll play devil's advocate.  What is the point of carrying a SAA with an empty chamber?  I don't have access to a SAA or an 1873 non-transfer bar clone, but how far can you pull the hammer back before the first click?  If released before hitting this spot, is there enough force to light a primer?  I am the last to defend Baldwin and would enjoy seeing him getting buried civilly and criminally, but the facts need to be "bullet proof" first.