R Lee Ermey's Guns Going to Auction

mootw

One of the guys who used to work for me saw Ermey at a show in Vegas and brought me an autographed picture. I'm not one who cares a whit about autographs, but that one is on my bookshelf.  His portrayal of a DI in "Full Metal Jacket" was pretty much spot on of my DI, Sgt. Parker, back in 74.

8 hours ago, Darrell said:

One of the guys who used to work for me saw Ermey at a show in Vegas and brought me an autographed picture. I'm not one who cares a whit about autographs, but that one is on my bookshelf.  His portrayal of a DI in "Full Metal Jacket" was pretty much spot on of my DI, Sgt. Parker, back in 74.

Being a former Marine I was very excited to see Full Metal Jacket, (I got discharged the year before the movie was released). I took my wife to go see the movie and embarrassed her because I was laughing out loud during the boot camp scenes, and I was the only one laughing in the theater. I was laughing because it was so realistic to what real Marine Corps boot camp actually is and how the audience was reacting to it. It was mostly due to GSgt Ermey's lines. I had heard that he was hired to be a technical advisor on the movie, but the actor hired for the Drill Instructor part just couldn't get the part right so they hired Ermey to play it instead. Dale Dye is another former Marine turned technical advisor then to actor.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I had heard that he was hired to be a technical advisor on the movie, but the actor hired for the Drill Instructor part just couldn't get the part right so they hired Ermey to play it it.

Sort of.

The story Stanley Kubrick tells is they were rehearsing prior to filming to begin. He was sitting in a director's chair on the set, going over the script or some such. Ermey comes out complete with Charlies, ribbons & Smokey cover. He marches up to Kubrick, squares up to him & begins his DI speech.

"GET ON YOUR FEET!" were the first words Kubrick recalls hearing, followed by 10 minutes of insults & a constant ass chewing as only a Marine can deliver. 😆

After Ermey finished, he did an about face & marched back off the set. Kubrick said his skin was flushed, his heart rate was off the charts & he thought about having a panic attack. LOL!

There was a Kubrick special on cable somewhere shortly after Kubrick died that that had all this in the interview. The original actor for the DI part became the helicopter M-60 gunner during the Viet Nam portion in the movie. Might be on youtube, I don't know. Ermey later said he KNEW that HE should have that part, he was born to play it. He was indeed correct. 

I too laughed my ass off when I saw that movie. I later rented it & my dad & I watched it, just the two of us. He went through USAF basic in the early 1960s, so he caught the verbal abuse but not the physical part. He was shocked at some of the language of the boot camp scenes, I was just laughing as it was JUST like mine in 1976. 

Vincent D'Onofrio, who played Pvt. Pyle, is a full blown libtard in real life, FWIW. 

I wonder what Ermey's Smokey from the movie would bring at auction? I bet close to $100k. 

2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

because I was laughing out loud during the boot camp scenes

I laughed aloud when the gunner was asked how he could shoot women and children, and he answered, "just don't lead them as much". People turned and looked at me, but THAT was pretty much the kind of Marine Corps humor we laughed about every day.

The boot camp portrayal was as close as any I've ever seen. EXCEPT that we had three DI's screaming at us most of the time rather than just one.