3G cell phones

xsubsailor

Just a reminder to those who have older cell phones or information for those who haven't heard about this.

Mobile carriers are shutting down their 3G networks, which rely on older technology, to make room for more advanced network services, including 5G. As a result, many older cell phones will be unable to make or receive calls and texts, including calls to 911, or use data services. This will affect 3G mobile phones and certain older 4G mobile phones that do not support Voice over LTE (VoLTE or HD Voice).

As early as January 1, 2022, though plans and timing to phase out 3G services will vary by company and may change. Consult your mobile provider’s website for the most up-to-date information.

• AT&T announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by February 2022.
  • Verizon announced that will finish shutting down its 3G network by December 31, 2022.
  • T-Mobile announced that it will finish shutting down Sprint's 3G network by January 1, 2022 and Sprint's LTE network by June 30, 2022. It also plans to shut down T-Mobile's 2G and 3G networks, but has not yet announced a date.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/plan-ahead-phase-out-3g-cellular-networks-and-service

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

AT&T announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by February 2022.

Mine quit working quite some time ago.  It was from a third party provider but used the AT&T network.  The last successful calls were early July in the Dallas area.  Not sure when the last time it worked in SW TN.

When I replaced it with a 4G phone, I think the provider switched me to the Verizon network.

Well I guess I'll have to buy a new phone. I actually have no idea how many Gs my phone is, but its old. Mine actually gives a message "Phone Storage Is Low". My son looked at it and best he can figure is that the phone is so old that all the updates it automatically does has taken up most of the memory.  Yeah, I'm technologically challenged. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Yeah, I'm technologically challenged. 

I might have you beat, I still use a "flip phone", it belongs to the company I work for. I have not owned a personal phone in over 20 years. Now the company is upgrading my phone, it will be an Apple device. Seams that the old phone wont run apps that are required for work these days. First bad part is I will loose the number I have had all these years, yes I am going to try and keep the old phone just for the number.

• Like 1

I do not like The HD Voice or voLTE option. I always turn it off because it makes it harder to hear imo. Anyone else? I hope that doesn’t mean i have to turn it on now. Sheezh

Also, I hope this doesn’t kill my Cuddielink trail camera system 😱. I need to check it’s G-rating I guess. That would not be good

8 hours ago, RED333 said:

I might have you beat, I still use a "flip phone", it belongs to the company I work for. I have not owned a personal phone in over 20 years. Now the company is upgrading my phone, it will be an Apple device. Seams that the old phone wont run apps that are required for work these days. First bad part is I will loose the number I have had all these years, yes I am going to try and keep the old phone just for the number.

I still have a flip phone though I was the only one left.  I am going kicking and screaming into the 21st century 😂