Belgian Mailinois Owners

E4 No More

I am looking into a new pet for me and I'm interested in the Belgian Malinois breed. I am looking for owners who can give the the good or bad about owning the breed. This will be a pet although intimidating unwanted visitors is a plus.

I want a dog that isn't ridiculously priced and who can be a companion with me. This necessitates the dog being able to jump up and down out of my 4 x 4 pickup on its own power as a bad back doesn't want me lifting a dog in and out of the truck.

This may not be the right dog for you. Mals are extremely high energy and high drive. They need constant activity and stimulation. They are working dogs. They need plenty to do or you will POTENTIALLY have your yard and belongings destroyed depending upon the amount of training you dog has. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, peejman said:

Malagators need a job and plenty of exercise. You don't want the dog to get bored. They can be great companions but they need training.  If you want a dog to hang out with and bark at strangers, a mutt from the shelter will do that fine.

A friend trains them for various things.... http://fdk9tn.com/

I've had the worst luck with mutts. Not a one of them were good companions. I have mostly had Rottweilers but they are solid blocks of bone and meat, and when they bump into my short wife with bad knees it almost drops her to the ground. Hell, I'm 6'4" and >300 lbs, and the Rotty that I used to have would come close to accidentally putting me down. Then there's the fact that home owner's insurance doesn't cover Rottweilers along with most large breeds. The Malinois is not on that list.

We have 5 other little dogs in the house. Two are too slow or lazy to play. We have a Shih tsu that's about as dumb as can be running around the house. He's our stud that mates with our Zuchon to have Teddy Bear puppies. Fortunately, our Zuchon is VERY intelligent and offsets the father's dopey genes. The Zuchon and our female Rat Terrier LOVE to play ball, so I think they'd want to play with the Malinois. I work from home so the dog will be supervised well all of the time.

I have a friend who has one of these beautiful dogs. He says it like having a full time job to keep him occupied. He said it was like his swimming pool. Too much work, too much money and he’ll never own either one again. I love watching them work. We picked up an Australian terrier from our local pound. She is always by my wife’s side. She’s smaller but thinks she owns everything outside of our house and let you know if anyone is nearby. If you want to play, she will fetch a ball or catch a frisbee till your arm falls off. 

good luck finding what you’re looking for. 

• Like 4

I've got a mal mix(we think). Even the vet isn't sure. I doubt I'll ever have a better dog. He definitely didn't get the hyper gene though. He loves to go hiking but is also fine sleeping all day. I wouldn't get a pure bred Mal unless I was retired and needed a full time hobby. Someone once said they knew a mal that would eat plants because he hated they were alive. 

As a puppy Gunner looked like this(last picture). We were convinced he was a Mal.

Then he got older and turned into a handsome gray bearded mutt. Definitely has a Pitt shaped head.

Unfortunately, he's got stage IV kidney disease so we're spoiling the hell out of him everyday. He's been the best dog I could ask for.

38422.jpg

Mean mugging...

38417.jpg

14878~2.jpeg

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I've never personally had one but worked with handlers with plenty of mals and people that had one as a pet. The best I could describe one is take the highest drive dog you've seen and then let them smoke meth that is a mal. Must have plenty of exercise, supervision, and training to keep them in line. Most people really don't have the time and/or don't have the will to put that much work into a dog.

• Like 1

If you have physical issues at all, you don't want a large dog. Especially a hyper active one. 

My disabled friend got a lab mix as a puppy. She's home with her every single day. The dog is now 9 months old,  50 lbs, extremely hyper active and an absolute danger. Not because its mean. On the contrary, she's as sweet and loving as you could hope for. The problem is that the dog is young, overly playful and doesn't know her own strength.  My friend just isn't capable of keeping up with her. Because the dog is hyper, she's accidentally knocked my friend down several times and tears up anything she can get a hold of.  If my friend does go somewhere, the dog has to locked in a wire kennel or she'll make a mess. 

Its not really the dog's fault. She's just being a puppy and having fun. Not realizing the danger she is. My friend has seriously considered rehomeing her. But she loves that big, dumb pup and just can't bring herself to do it. 

My stepson has two Belgian Malinois.  One he bought as a puppy.  It has had training.  The other one he got at about 6 months old and it has had very little training.  He lives about one hundred miles from us.  The older male that is trained is supposed to be ok to be around but none of the family goes near him while he has him on a leash.  Now the younger female is another story.  She was returned to the breeder at about six-months old.  Nobody goes near her except my stepson.  When we visit him he meets us at a restaurant.  We don't go up to his house.

You would be lucky if a Belgian Malinois got along with your other dogs.  

19 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I've had the worst luck with mutts. Not a one of them were good companions. I have mostly had Rottweilers but they are solid blocks of bone and meat, and when they bump into my short wife with bad knees it almost drops her to the ground. Hell, I'm 6'4" and >300 lbs, and the Rotty that I used to have would come close to accidentally putting me down. Then there's the fact that home owner's insurance doesn't cover Rottweilers along with most large breeds. The Malinois is not on that list.

We have 5 other little dogs in the house. Two are too slow or lazy to play. We have a Shih tsu that's about as dumb as can be running around the house. He's our stud that mates with our Zuchon to have Teddy Bear puppies. Fortunately, our Zuchon is VERY intelligent and offsets the father's dopey genes. The Zuchon and our female Rat Terrier LOVE to play ball, so I think they'd want to play with the Malinois. I work from home so the dog will be supervised well all of the time.

I've never been a big fan of Rottweilers, there's lots of other larger dog options that'll be way easier to manage than a Mal. I also don't think it would be a good mix with your smaller dogs. They might be thought of as snacks. 

We have a lab mix and he's a pretty good dog. We got him from friends who's dog had puppies unexpectedly.  He follows our boys around everywhere and barks ferociously at strangers while running the other way. Once introduced, he'll lean so hard he'll push you over and perhaps pee on your shoes if he gets real excited. 

i-Xxbbkd4-X2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

All depends on your experience beforehand with breeds that are not a needy as a Malinois.  To not give a job to a motivated Malinois to keep the dog stimulated mentally and physically will likely lead to destructive behaviors from the dog which will frustrate you.

My Dutch Shepherd in this video succeeded getting into my wife's horse pasture one evening.  He killed the horse.  These dogs, if bred with a high drive, are no joke.

Legion with Steffan - YouTube

4-7-10 007.MOD - YouTube

I recommend you check with your homeowners insurance carrier.  You may find the carrier does not permit the breed.

YOU WANT TO GET A WHAAT??

abcc0b7e-204c-4a58-9b01-7baaa7d6d0f5.jpg.f7795ef2d7b0558b50c6afaa37348516.jpg

My brother had a Malinois he was a great dog his name was Frity but everyone called him Gator (from afar). He is very serious about working the dog. Dog was very smart did whatever my brother told him to do. All his commands were in Chinese, my brother is Irish. The problem was when he was not around. Bit the neighbors kid twice, (kid teased the dog) would go after just about anyone that came to the compound .

He did love to play with my Mastiff, they knew each other since puppies. When he tired her out she would sit on him to make him stop.

IMG_0421.jpg.5b5ab373e91111075da9b83c36f3f518.jpg

• Like 3

Malinois have been described as a smaller german shepherd on crack. Pretty accurate. I’ve been very impressed by the ones I’ve been around though. 

People are right about these breeds though. I have a german shepherd, or maybe he owns me, and it is a full time job. But I have never had a better friend.

It’s a shame that we live in an age, and in a formerly free country, where insurance companies tell us what we can and cannot have. 

I’m sure the one you picked out will be a fine companion.

I like how one lady said it when I was at the vet the other day. We were talking about different dogs and she said that we (as people) just don’t deserve dogs. That’s about as accurate a statement as I’ve heard in a long time. 

Edited by res308
  • Like 1

I have to agree with what has been said about the mals.  High energy and high maintenance.  I am very partial to Boxers, I have had them all my life.  I have had and do have other breeds as well but Boxer are like family members and a huge source of entertainment by nature they are comical.  Yet, they are protective of home and family by nature.  Short haired, lay by the recliner but always ready to play ball.  Great with kids, especially if they are around kids as pups or young.  I could go on but like I said, I am partial.

Edited by tacops
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

We’ve got some friends with a King Charles Spaniel.  It’s hands down the most laid back dog I’ve ever met.  It’s good with kids.  Good with strangers and other dogs.  Perfectly content to just come sit beside you.  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, res308 said:I like how one lady said it when I was at the vet the other day. We were talking about different dogs and she said that we (as people) just don’t deserve dogs. That’s about as accurate a statement as I’ve heard in a long time. 

As Mark Twain said “The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven” and “Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”

9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

We’ve got some friends with a King Charles Spaniel.  It’s hands down the most laid back dog I’ve ever met.  It’s good with kids.  Good with strangers and other dogs.  Perfectly content to just come sit beside you.  

The advantage with the Cavalier King Charles is that we can breed a female with our male Shih Tsu to have Cava Tsu puppies. I haven't seen any of those for sale around here.