Anybody ever load any heavy +P .45 ACP?

1 hour ago, TrashcanDan said:

Win 231, have had good luck with it so I stuck with that. 200 to 255 gr. Charge weight runs the gamut between 4 and 4.6 gr, depending on whats getting loaded.

That's what my uncle used. Loaded a few thousand 200 gr. swc cast with it.

• Like 2

I shot some 185 gr. XTP loads today loaded with 8.0 gr. Unique and got very rounded primers and black soot on the cases. I'm pretty sure they are on the mild side. I didn't have my chronograph set up, so don't know what they were moving along at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

I shot some 185 gr. XTP loads today loaded with 8.0 gr. Unique and got very rounded primers and black soot on the cases. I'm pretty sure they are on the mild side. I didn't have my chronograph set up, so don't know what they were moving along at.

I'm remembering that we used a similar recipe back in the 80s when the 185's got popular. I'm thinkin the light recoil may be the result of the light bullet.  Ya might be surprised at the velocity.  Cant wait ta hear the chronology results.. 

leroy...

PS..  I'm thinkin we used 8.5 grains of Unique.  Need ta look in the old Lyman manual...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Yeah, in my experience anytime the cases are sooted up like that, it's mild. I loaded some 7.5 gr. too. May just pull them and go up a little on powder charge. I was thinking about carrying .45  for a possible close shot on a deer later on.😏

I understand... The 45 will work like a charm in thinkin Brother...

Good hunting...

leroy.  

• Like 1

What’s your barrel length?

Adding a 185 grain load chart I’ve referenced for 460 Rowland.  I’ve got other 45 super referencing 9.5 grains unique in upper end of 45 super pressure range.  At super and Rowland levels I usually find power pistol to achieve highest velocity followed by long shot. The few references I have for cfe pistol show it’s achieving good velocity but I’ve never used.  
adding because you’re getting up there with pressure using unique from references I use.  May be wise choice to change powder.  I’ve found and most 45super/Rowland forums report standard 45 acp brass will take super pressure levels as long as slide/barrel timing is kept in check.  

35F87521-D660-4B3C-A528-6B9E00D676D2.jpeg

16 hours ago, Quavodus said:

4.5" barrel and like I said, primers looked very rounded and cases even had a little soot on them. Weird.

Another 1/2 grain Brother.  About 0.3 if ya wanna creep up on it.  Whatcha shooting em out of. ? 

leroy. 

PS. I have loaded these with Blue Dot I'm thinkin. 

Edited by leroy

Yeah, for some reason they're not giving higher velocity or even normal pressure. The powder is several years old but, looks good and smells good. It may not be burning efficiently. Can't find Blue Dot or Longshot. Bought some Accurate No.7 today. Gonna work up a 1,000 fps load for it. Oh, you wanted to know gun. Don't laugh, Hi-Point JHP. Shoots good and has ate everything I've tried in it. Never jammed or anything, after over 500 rounds. I bought it because I wanted to see what the hype was about them being junk. As far as the cheaper guns go, they are the best in that arena. 

I loaded up a few this morning with 12.0 gr. Accurate no.7 and chronographed average of 1,000 .  Accuracy at 25 yards was about 4" range. Not the best this gun has shot but, ok for short hunting distances. Primers looked fine and recoil not bad at all. No.7 is a little slow but, they didn't have a lot to choose from. I wanted some No.5 but, he said it was ordered along with a bunch others.

Edited by Quavodus
  • 4 months later...

Update. Shot some 200 gr. cast SWC today with 11.5  with CCI 350 primers. I know but, couldn't find any standard primers anywhere. I was shooting 12.0 gr. No.7, with CCI 300, earlier.  Shot ok at about 20 yards, and had good looking primers. Recoil didn't seem to bad either. Got some Titegroup and gonna try some of it later. Didn't have my chrono set up with the 11.5 gr. No.7 and CCI 350 load. Hope to chrono it in a little while.

Edited by Quavodus
1 hour ago, ohell said:

#7 to titegroup.  Keep that thing in battery.  “Safety squint, double rubber, mother on speed dial”. 

Yeeaaahhh, I'm gonna have to get some standard primers first though. I promise I'll be careful. Have a good day.