How do/did you make a living?

Grayfox54

Twenty-Five years in Law Enforcement (retired) then transitioned to another primary occupation that I plan to retire from in about three more years.  I have had secondary ventures in auto restoration, construction, fabrication as intense hobbies.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Loss prevention/security for one of the major shippers.  I investigate theft, fraud, workplace violence, people fudging their timecard, supervise facility security, keep TSA/FAA/DOT happy, and keep us off the news.  

In other words, you are the fun police.😃

ER nurse for 20 years then went into correctional nursing. Loved the ER but got fed up with the politics. Spent more time convincing patients that we are doing an “Excellent “ job instead of actually doing an excellent job. Correctional nursing is way better. Don’t care if they liked their service or the decisions made.  Retired now (I think) seem to work harder now then when I was nursing. Farm life and wood working now. 

• Like 5

I play with computers all day or at least what everyone thinks IT people do.

Since college I have worked in a mortgage company, sold vacuums door to door, worked in call centers, been the entire IT department for a 67 million dollar construction company for a decade, and now work in the financial sector managing a bunch of different software. 

• Like 3

Worked as a police officer then a probation officer. I’m still currently employed in the field of public safety with an agency which shall remain nameless. 
I skipped college to go right into a job to start a career. I thought it was smart to avoid college debt. Admittedly I wonder if I’ve made a mistake taking this path. Low level government salaries have never been that great and money is tight each month. Wish I would have gone to college and got a specialized degree in a high paying career field. Then maybe I would have some hope of a well funded retirement like all you fine folks lol

• Like 4

All manner of roles in financial services, started in '88

All kinds of consumer lending, 20 years in indirect auto.

Processing, collections, risk management, sales; basically soup to nuts.

Currently lead the business development department for a multi billion dollar organization in the mortgage and title insurance arena.

A few tangents along the way: restaurant and catering, residential and commercial moving, residential and commercial flooring installation with wholesale flooring supply.

• Like 2

20+ odd years in the print biz as a computer/technology whiz when I was in NY, then moved here. Have had stints in various trades over the years, at one I acquired a CDL. Before the kung flu I ran produce distribution in the Knox area for a big name you've all heard of... Now I'm working with my neighbor who owns a fire sprinkler company while I hone my stock trading skills. Been a PHUN week!

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Just passed 10 years in various supply chain/logistics/transportation jobs. 3 weeks ago I started a new job working for one of the nations largest truckload carriers as an account manager. It's a very interesting time to work in transportation. The back up at ports, shippers and customers is quite a mess. Trucking isn't sexy but it's fairly recession proof. 

Manufacturing here 26yrs, now I have a name I can yell out loud when my S#!T doesn't show up on time...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Currently a safety guy for a state agency that shall remain unnamed.  Previously I have worked a series of mostly low paying, but interesting and mostly fulfilling jobs including, heavy equipment operator, explosives handler, professional photographer, and retail loss prevention agent.  

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Manufacturing here 26yrs, now I have a name I can yell out loud when my S#!T doesn't show up on time...

Yep. That's me. We're averaging around 88% on time delivery for my customer right now which is what they are seeing from their other carriers as well. It's rough out there. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Yep. That's me. We're averaging around 88% on time delivery for my customer right now which is what they are seeing from their other carriers as well. It's rough out there. 

If anyone would know, it would be you. What’s the real problem with product shortages right now?

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

If anyone would know, it would be you. What’s the real problem with product shortages right now?

Shoot I'm no expert on this.  It's a mix of several things if I had to guess. We get way too much from China. We're basically seeing the delayed reaction to the quarantine. On a more local level, the shortage of workers here in the US is causing manufacturing gaps. I've also seen many manufacturers are being delayed because their vendors can't keep up. It just keeps trickling down. 

There is also really high demand for many products. Americans are doing a ton of online shopping. 

Another issue I've noticed is that a lot of manufacturers and distribution centers are using buildings that are old. When I worked at Keurig our goal was to produce 100 million kcups every week at a facility that only produced half that when it was designed. That's not a problem unique to them. Most of these companies try to run as lean as possible too. Demanding more and more from people. It only works for so long. People get burned out. 

A lot of these issues were present before covid and the supply chain was already stressed before this. We've barely been keeping up and covid/quarantine just unmasked the issue. The average truck driver is around 54 years old. It's only gonna get worse.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 9
  • Moderators
42 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Shoot I'm no expert on this.  It's a mix of several things if I had to guess. We get way too much from China. We're basically seeing the delayed reaction to the quarantine. On a more local level, the shortage of workers here in the US is causing manufacturing gaps. I've also seen many manufacturers are being delayed because their vendors can't keep up. It just keeps trickling down. 

There is also really high demand for many products. Americans are doing a ton of online shopping. 

Another issue I've noticed is that a lot of manufacturers and distribution centers are using buildings that are old. When I worked at Keurig our goal was to produce 100 million kcups every week at a facility that only produced half that when it was designed. That's not a problem unique to them. Most of these companies try to run as lean as possible too. Demanding more and more from people. It only works for so long. People get burned out. 

A lot of these issues were present before covid and the supply chain was already stressed before this. We've barely been keeping up and covid/quarantine just unmasked the issue. The average truck driver is around 54 years old. It's only gonna get worse.

Average age of a trucker is 54, and the average life expectancy is 61. 

It’s damn sure gonna get worse. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Thanks, Erik. That’s a pretty solid explanation. I’d definitely take the option of someone in the business over news reports any day.

• Like 1