How do/did you make a living?

Grayfox54

On 11/3/2021 at 12:15 PM, OldIronFan said:

One of the other significant struggles is polymers. Since our volumes are considerably less than that of the automotive industry it can be tough to find domestic injection molding places that will take on our work. 

Of the molders I used to work for over 3/4 of them are closed permanently. otherwise I would hook you up!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 11:57 PM, tacops said:

Twenty-Five years in Law Enforcement (retired) then transitioned to another primary occupation that I plan to retire from in about three more years.  I have had secondary ventures in auto restoration, construction, fabrication as intense hobbies.  

Your hobbies are so lovely, and you should do something related to your hobbies. What things do you love, you can try to do this. Your day is fantastic, not dull, but it's always fun if you start with your hobbies.

• Thanks 1

23 years as a Mechanical Designer. 7Yrs designing Package and Food handling systems, 3 years doing Signage and Landscape design and the last 13 working for DOE facilities designing Scientific experimental equipment for Light Source and Neutron Instrument Systems. Have dabbled in Woodworking on the side. Also Retired as Volunteer Fire Chief  in NY after 20 Years of Service. 

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor

Retired after 26 years in the AF then worked as a trim carpenter for about 5 years and ended up owning the company myself. I had a real nice gig until the bottom fell out in 2008. Sold the business just in time... had a quad bypass 3 months later and ended up traveling to AZ with the missus as she finished up her AF career. Been retired ever since while the wife works from home part time since this covid crap hit. Now I'm just trying to lead a stress free life. So far so good.

• Like 5

I work from home selling computer networking components to major businesses for the major computer company that rhymes with hell. My job has its stressors, but it's better than other jobs that I have worked. I will probably have to work here until I'm 72 thanks to the economy tanking under Obama.

• Like 4

Licensed Professional Counselor in TN & KY; I provide mental health therapy for a variety of issues for clients from adolescent through older adults.  Also provide clinical supervision to LPC/MHSP candidates seeking their license to practice in TN.  Been doing this over 40 years!  

COVID has changed the scene of what I do; more telehealth than in person which has worked well.  I have some FTF clients, but the majority find telehealth easier since they don't have to fight Nashville traffic to come to our offices.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I work from home selling computer networking components to major businesses for the major computer company that rhymes with hell. My job has its stressors, but it's better than other jobs that I have worked. I will probably have to work here until I'm 72 thanks to the economy tanking under Obama.

Glad you have a plan, I'll retire when they pry my mouse out of my cold dead hand LOL

• Haha 3

I work a corporate job at a Nashville-based company overseeing a program for a large wireless carrier.  I’ve been working here for 13+ years and moved to Tennessee from AZ 3 years ago for this particular role.  Moving here was pointless since I decided to work from home in early ‘19, but do prefer TN over AZ.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

Licensed Professional Counselor in TN & KY; I provide mental health therapy for a variety of issues for clients from adolescent through older adults.  Also provide clinical supervision to LPC/MHSP candidates seeking their license to practice in TN.  Been doing this over 40 years!  

COVID has changed the scene of what I do; more telehealth than in person which has worked well.  I have some FTF clients, but the majority find telehealth easier since they don't have to fight Nashville traffic to come to our offices.

My mother was a counselor for victims of child abuse in the Kansas City area ranging from the obscure cases to headline cases. She was a pretty tough person to listen to children tell their stories of abuse.

• Like 1

I was an ASE Certified Auto Technician for 35 years before going 100% disabled. That was just a fancy name for a professional Auto mechanic / Grease monkey. Took up the hobby of making fishing baits for people and sold that to Chuckshoes and don't know how he is doing with it. I hope fine!!! Now I just piddle around staying out of trouble.....LOL

• Like 4
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I was an ASE Certified Auto Technician for 35 years before going 100% disabled. That was just a fancy name for a professional Auto mechanic / Grease monkey. Took up the hobby of making fishing baits for people and sold that to Chuckshoes and don't know how he is doing with it. I hope fine!!! Now I just piddle around staying out of trouble.....LOL

Staying out of trouble ain’t much fun, Doug!

5 hours ago, E4 No More said:

My mother was a counselor for victims of child abuse in the Kansas City area ranging from the obscure cases to headline cases. She was a pretty tough person to listen to children tell their stories of abuse.

What a great lady!  Working with traumatic children is so hard, but also rewarding.  One of my roles was working in an inpatient facility for children and adolescents who had experienced severe emotional, sexual, and physical trauma.  I went home many nights sad for the pain that I had heard and experienced, but grateful in my hope that, at least for a moment, I had helped a child feel safe . . .

• Like 2
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

What a great lady!  Working with traumatic children is so hard, but also rewarding.  One of my roles was working in an inpatient facility for children and adolescents who had experienced severe emotional, sexual, and physical trauma.  I went home many nights sad for the pain that I had heard and experienced, but grateful in my hope that, at least for a moment, I had helped a child feel safe . . .

She was killed in a traffic accident at the age of 56. She had over 200 people show up to her wake, and I only knew a handful of them. The rest were her clients and their families.

• Like 2
On 10/29/2021 at 10:10 AM, Erik88 said:

Just passed 10 years in various supply chain/logistics/transportation jobs. 3 weeks ago I started a new job working for one of the nations largest truckload carriers as an account manager. It's a very interesting time to work in transportation. The back up at ports, shippers and customers is quite a mess. Trucking isn't sexy but it's fairly recession proof. 

My sister works for that Dejoy guy's logistic company... dammit I forget the name.  She recently got to go to Phoenix to assist for a week trying to clear some of their backlog.  She said they brought people in from all over to try and help clear their backlog.  

Edited by Daniel
3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

She was killed in a traffic accident at the age of 56. She had over 200 people show up to her wake, and I only knew a handful of them. The rest were her clients and their families.

God rest her soul as well as your own grief.  She died much too young, but the clients and families that came says it all.

• Like 3

Worked 30 years at Post Office. First 4 years a City Carrier then moved into the office as a clerk. Still have one daughter that works in the Church Street Post Office in Murfreesboro. Post Office has gone down since my time. Retired in 2004. 

On 11/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, bersaguy said:

I did that bit. Most guys wear their back out before they retire. congrats on making 35 years.

• Like 1

I didn't go disabled from the work. I went disable from being pinned between a runaway pickup truck and a brick wall. I died 3 times in the ambulance and woke up in St. Thomas hospital 27 days later from a drug induced coma. All I remember was some screaming to look out and then I woke up in the hospital. I was at work when I got hit. I was told by doctors what they had to do to keep me alive which was remove my spleen that was ruptured, remove 3 broken ribs from my left lung and pin them back were they belonged and then put me in the coma to start the healing process or die. I was in ICU for 47 days all together before being moved to a room and then they began working on the broken bones. They said they wanted to make sure I was going to survive before fixing the bones. They had to rebreak several that had already began healing. The orthopedic doctor said that 66% of the bones in my body were broke or fractured. The fractures would heal on their own but the broken ones would need to be repaired which was my left leg broke in 3 places and and left arm broke in 2. The surgeons that worked on me told me that my entire abdomen had experienced a very traumatic impact  and would never be as strong as it was before getting hit. I got hit on April 17, 1978 and got to leave the hospital in December after my last of 4 surgeries to fix things showing up while I was in the hospital.

The Orthopedic doctor told me that by age 50 I would begin the develop Arthritis and he missed in by 10 years as it began to show at age 60. I was able to return to work in March of 79 and during the next 20 years I had to undergo 4 abdominal hernia repairs with the last one ending my working career. The doctor that did the last one told me if I got another one it would put me in bed for life. I went fishing.....LOL. I had to give that up about 3 years ago because most of my body has some type of Arthritic issue with my hands and legs being the worst.

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I didn't go disabled from the work. I went disable from being pinned between a runaway pickup truck and a brick wall. I died 3 times in the ambulance and woke up in St. Thomas hospital 27 days later from a drug induced coma. All I remember was some screaming to look out and then I woke up in the hospital. I was at work when I got hit. I was told by doctors what they had to do to keep me alive which was remove my spleen that was ruptured, remove 3 broken ribs from my left lung and pin them back were they belonged and then put me in the coma to start the healing process or die. I was in ICU for 47 days all together before being moved to a room and then they began working on the broken bones. They said they wanted to make sure I was going to survive before fixing the bones. They had to rebreak several that had already began healing. The orthopedic doctor said that 66% of the bones in my body were broke or fractured. The fractures would heal on their own but the broken ones would need to be repaired which was my left leg broke in 3 places and and left arm broke in 2. The surgeons that worked on me told me that my entire abdomen had experienced a very traumatic impact  and would never be as strong as it was before getting hit. I got hit on April 17, 1978 and got to leave the hospital in December after my last of 4 surgeries to fix things showing up while I was in the hospital.

The Orthopedic doctor told me that by age 50 I would begin the develop Arthritis and he missed in by 10 years as it began to show at age 60. I was able to return to work in March of 79 and during the next 20 years I had to undergo 4 abdominal hernia repairs with the last one ending my working career. The doctor that did the last one told me if I got another one it would put me in bed for life. I went fishing.....LOL. I had to give that up about 3 years ago because most of my body has some type of Arthritic issue with my hands and legs being the worst.

I wan't hit by a truck but I can sympathize with your issues. I have an alien baby now just below and left of my sternum, pins and screws in my neck, two hernia repairs previously. THAT'S why I work at a desk!

I spent 42 years turning wrenches. Mostly on trucks and heavy equipment.  Its hard, dirty, physically demanding work.  I'm well aware of the physical toll it takes on your body. I'm a bit of a rarity in my profession. I retired with my back in decent shape and all my fingers.  Of course the rest of me is a wreck.  I've lost count of how many times I've been in the hospital. Been cut on 8 times. Twice is was life threatening.  But all in all, I came through it pretty well.  Just don't get around as well as I used to. 🙄

Damn! Ain't we a bunch of decrepit old farts! 😵

• Haha 3