Most useless firearm in your collection?

10-Ring

Most useless gun in my safe is a single barrel 20 ga. Remington shotgun; never been fired.  (Will probably list it for sale at some point.)

Why useless?  I don't need it as it was originally purchased by a friend for my elderly mother when she lived alone after my dad died.  The friend bought it for my mother after I took S&W Model 36 away from my mother and the friend was upset that she did not have a gun in the house.

Why did I take the revolver away from mom?  One night Mom woke up from a dream and was convinced she saw a man standing in her bedroom.  She took the 36 from her bedside table and emptied all five rounds into her closet.  One round went through the closet and took out her relatively new TV . . .

Mom died in 2017, but this remained a treasured story for us.

• Like 2

I see a few folks have mentioned single shot shotguns, and can see why they make the list.  I have a couple of them.  One is a like new 20ga that I got for Christmas when I was a kid.  I upgraded to a 870 a year later which I still have.  Honestly in the 25+ years I've owned the 870 I recall pulling the old 20 out once for a rabbit hunt because I didn't want to carry the 870 all day.  The 20 will be waiting for my son in a few years, but at this point there is also a 20ga auto for him to use if he likes so I'm not sure how much he will use that single.  I also have a .410 single that seems to get used often for skunks and rats.  That said, a 12 ga, would likely see less action that my 20 does.  I would say that most anyone who is remotely interested in shotguns upgrades to a pump or auto fairly quickly, but the used market on singles has gone up quite a bit in recent years.  If you look at the current offerings you will see why.  My .410 is a Hatfield from Walmart and has very poor fit and finish. 

1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

I see a few folks have mentioned single shot shotguns, and can see why they make the list.  I have a couple of them.  One is a like new 20ga that I got for Christmas when I was a kid.  I upgraded to a 870 a year later which I still have.  Honestly in the 25+ years I've owned the 870 I recall pulling the old 20 out once for a rabbit hunt because I didn't want to carry the 870 all day.  The 20 will be waiting for my son in a few years, but at this point there is also a 20ga auto for him to use if he likes so I'm not sure how much he will use that single.  I also have a .410 single that seems to get used often for skunks and rats.  That said, a 12 ga, would likely see less action that my 20 does.  I would say that most anyone who is remotely interested in shotguns upgrades to a pump or auto fairly quickly, but the used market on singles has gone up quite a bit in recent years.  If you look at the current offerings you will see why.  My .410 is a Hatfield from Walmart and has very poor fit and finish. 

Easy to see why most single shots sit in the cabinet with so many better options available. I would never have bought one had it not been for my grandfather giving me his. not practical for the hunting I used to do. I had a store branded bolt action built identical to my hunting partner's Mossberg goose gun save for the 4 inch shorter barrel and adjustable choke. Used to hunt Canada Geese when I lived up north so that was what was useful. The fit and finish on my gun was well below what my friend's Mossberg displayed but it was a field gun, used for hunting, and all I could afford at the time. It would be pretty useless to me now. 
On the 410, I wanted one to build a custom snake charmer/tactical style just because. I ran across and old Iver Johnson 410 that resembled my 12ga, I can't cut it up but I had to buy it for it's simple elegance. I don't need it, it serves no purpose, so is it useless? Not ot me, it is just a working piece of mechanical art. It is useful in my eyes if I never pull the trigger.
some of us are collectors, some shooters, some see firearms as merely tools. so many sub sets in just those categories. BUT in my eyes there isn't a useless firearm, only some less useful to me.

yep, I talk too much 🙂

• 4 weeks later...