44 special to 44 magnum

loadedp3at

Can't say for absolute sure, but I think the cylinders may be heat treated differently. The .44 Special cylinder may be too short for the Magnum cartridge.  Isn't that a 5 shooter? The frame may not be up to the stress. There's a reason Taurus didn't just make that gun a .44 magnum to start with.  I wouldn't try it. 

• Like 9

Simply put, NO !

I owned a 24 and 624 S&W for a long time and have owned the model Taurus you own now. While I'm a huge S&W fan and believer in their quality I would NOT slide a 44mag round into a 44 spl and let it fly. You may get lucky once or even twice but as noted by grayfox there's a reason that gun is chambered like it is. Regardless of modern materials Taurus has tested that gun to withstand 44 spl. pressures which is a different animal than 44 mag. Id track down the Taurus to match my rifle and leave that 44 spl. as is. 

• Like 6

Another "no". The cylinder on the Special is a shorter length. A Mag rd would easily bind up the cylinder with the bullet nose, depending on the depth of the rd seating of course. 

I've read several articles or anecdotes about people trying to do that. All had issues trying that. It's not like swapping a .22 LR & a .22WMR cylinder or a .357mag & .38 spl ammo.

• Like 1

What would need reaming? The 44 mag case is simply a longer 44 Special case which is a lengthened 44 Russian case. If the cylinder is long enough, it should already accept a 44 magnum cartridge. Would I fire one in it? NO!!!

The sole reason for the lengthened case is to prevent folks from doing so.

Edited by gregintenn
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

What would need reaming? The 44 mag case is simply a longer 44 Special case which is a lengthened 44 Russian case. If the cylinder is long enough, it should already accept a 44 magnum cartridge.

It all about chamber depth and throat location. The .44 magnum and .357 magnum were purposely made long so that they would would be stopped at the chamber throat and not seat fully resulting in the cylinder not being able to close. This all about safety. 

The chamber could have the shoulders of the throat reamed a bit allowing the magnum cartridge to fully seat, however the shorter over all length of the cylinder could cause the nose of the bullet to slightly protrude out the front of the cylinder. 

• Like 2

Not only NO, but HELL NO!!!

Just shoot the 44sp from the rifle and be happy.

12 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

With today's metals could a 44 special be reamed out for a 44 magnum? I have a Taurus 44 special and a 44 magnum rifle.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t do it. In the late  70s in Oklahoma it was somewhat common practice among some Law enforcement officers to have their 38 specials converted to 357.  A gunsmith would just bore out the 38 special cylinder to accept the longer 357. 
I was encouraged to have it done, I did it on a model 64 S&W and never felt comfortable with it, sold it with full disclosure. 
Non magnum cylinders are not tested or designed for magnum loads. Yes I know Elmer Keith invented the 357 by pushing the envelope.  YMMV.

5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

It all about chamber depth and throat location. The .44 magnum and .357 magnum were purposely made long so that they would would be stopped at the chamber throat and not seat fully resulting in the cylinder not being able to close. This all about safety. 

The chamber could have the shoulders of the throat reamed a bit allowing the magnum cartridge to fully seat, however the shorter over all length of the cylinder could cause the nose of the bullet to slightly protrude out the front of the cylinder. 

You’re right. I had a brain fart. There’s a little step in the chamber where the case mouth gioes.

3 minutes ago, loadedp3at said:

So then is there any way to make my Marlin 1894 feed specials reliably? It will jam up on some.

You know, I’ve never tried 44 Specials in my Marlin. I’ll give it a try sometime and see what happens.

I have a Rossi, 92 Win copy in 357 mag. It shoots 38 Specials just fine.

1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

Yeah, just like the rest said, buy a .44 Magnum. I know they're expensive but, that's the way to go. Old guys like Emer Keith, used heavy frame .44 Specials and loaded hotter loads but, not as hot as .44 Magnum. 

Elmer blew up a lot of revolvers too. I

• Like 5

The are "Ruger only" loads listed out there, but the loads must only be used in a listed Ruger.

On a side note I have been looking halfheartedly for a Ruger SBH in 45 Colt, it can be loaded up to 10% just short of 44 Mag loads.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RED333 said:

The are "Ruger only" loads listed out there, but the loads must only be used in a listed Ruger.

On a side note I have been looking halfheartedly for a Ruger SBH in 45 Colt, it can be loaded up to 10% just short of 44 Mag loads.

REDD... Back in the good ole days, we burned a ton of 2400, H110, n 296 thru 45 Colt Blackhawks with excellent results. About 1200 fps wuz the norm for these " heavy loads "...

The old time bulletmakers had a great lineup of 45 colt bullets from about 250 to 275 grain hollowpoints n soft noses.  All of em shot like a house afire. 

We found that there wuz basically no difference between the heavy 45 colt loads n 44 mag loads as to accuracy n power.  To this day, I wouldn't turn around for the differences between em.

As to the revolvers, there is nothing lighter n easier to carry than the old aluminum frame 4 3/4  inch blackhawks.  If ya want somethin a bit heavier, round up a ruger bisley or a vaquero (.. I like the 5.5 bbl length ..). 

Ya simply cant beat em if ya are a big bore revolver guy and ya reload.  We only own eight of em, from 7 1/2 to 4 3/4.  I used ta carry a 4 3/4 regularly loaded with mid range heavy cast bullet loads ( ..900 fps or so ..). 

Buy n use without hesitation.  Ya will be well armed, indeed...

leroy...

• Like 2
6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Back in my horse trading days, I acquired a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. It also had a 45 ACP cylinder. Like a fool, I sold it or traded it off. I’d like a do over on that one.

Very sad Brother… Very sad, indeed… SIGH…

sad leroy…

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Back in my horse trading days, I acquired a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. It also had a 45 ACP cylinder. Like a fool, I sold it or traded it off. I’d like a do over on that one.

I’d say most of us have done stupid things like that. 

• Like 1
On 10/31/2021 at 4:57 PM, loadedp3at said:

So then is there any way to make my Marlin 1894 feed specials reliably? It will jam up on some.

Just tried it. 44 Specials run through mine like corn through a goose. Thanks for the idea. Makes it even more fun to shoot.

What is yours doing, exactly?

• Haha 1