Supreme Court arguments for NY Concealed Carry

This had been known for some time, but I was reading an article about it this morning and found this particular sentence interesting!

Others cautioned that a majority of the justices may find New York’s law, which requires individuals to obtain a license to be able to carry a gun in public, overly restrictive.

if true, then we could see Concealed Carrier Permit requirements nationwide, go out the door, depending on how broad they rule. I don't really see the Supreme Court going quite that far,  but anything is possible.

The full article is here.

In battle at Supreme Court over N.Y. gun law, a surprising split among conservatives (msn.com)

Edited by Moped

Its pretty bad in NY. Getting a permit in general is not that much different from an enhanced here aside from the added 4 personal signed reference friends that write a few lines of your "character" description. The only issue for Hunting, target shooting or self defense also must show a Hunting License, Range membership or a security job of sorts for the unlimited. If thats not bad enough, the county judge can restrict the number of handguns you own by not approving another handgun purchase since you need a judge signed "purchase coupon" to buy another handgun. I remember having to write a required essay to the county judge explaining why I wanted to buy another pistol. That was the lowest point in my life in the kissing ass department I have ever endured. NYS is a prize lap dog of the same deep state handlers that installed Biden. Be ever watchful of Davidson and Shelby counties and their spread into other places of congestion. We will see who on the SC has been infected with deep state sublime cool aid.  

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 1

If they made voting as hard as buying a gun in NY/CA/IL, etc, the liberals would be rioting in the streets 7/24, IMO. 

I miss shows like Point/Counterpoint where they allowed two different perspectives to be defended as well as attacked. I'm betting libtards got weary of having their ass handed to them in debate. 😆

• Like 2

Other differences between NY CC and TN EC. For anything but the restricted permit you have to have a valid reason for wanting a permit like you carry large amounts of money for your job. Personal protection will get you a no. I lived in a very conservative county, the judge that made the decisions even came to our local meetings of the NY gun rights organization and it still took me 6 months after I turned in the paper work. My reason was I take walks after dark in the country. Took a month just to get the personalized application which included a photo and fingerprints on the application. You also can not even touch let alone own a handgun without a permit. The system is setup to delay issuing as long as possible. This is to make the world safer, but there is no class room or range requirements just bureaucracy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Moderators

Oral arguments were today. I do not see the Sullivan law survivor. The only question is how narrow or how broadly will the ruling be. After listening to the entire proceeding, I almost feel bad for the New York State Solicitor General. She got her ass handed to her. And considering how poorly I view her position, that should tell you just how badly, and how brutal, it was for her in court today.

here is a good summation of today’s proceeding from the SCOTUSblog.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/11/majority-of-court-appears-dubious-of-new-york-gun-control-law-but-justices-mull-narrow-ruling/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

After reading this I feel like this is going somewhere. For me the question is how far do they go. Roberts, who I don't trust,  even asked some good questions so he may be on board but  wouldn't bet money on him.

My bet is that the court ultimately strikes down at least part of the New York law, perhaps insisting that NY become a "shall" rather than a "may" issue state.  It would surprise me if the SCOTUS rules against permit laws entirely, or extends their ruling beyond the case at hand.  The SCOTUS has been very reticent in the past about issuing sweeping judgements in cases of this type, I don't think that changes with this one ...

• Like 1

As an escapee... listen to @Jeb48.

Honestly, one of the reasons I moved.

We had a shotgun for home defense, but crime was still creeping in and getting worse despite living in a small country town outside a Knox-sized city. Kids broke into our garage, wifey agreed, it was time to get a pistol. 

Friend of a friend was a county Sheriff, had a talk with him. Said save my time, won't get a permit here, and even if I did, wouldn't matter, NY doesn't have castle doctrine/stand your ground law. Can't shoot the perp even if you had a gun.

Loooooong conversation short: even if I caught someone raping my daughter in the act, I should call the police. Argument is you remove the criminals right to a fair trial by acting as judge/jury and shooting them. 

Yes. Really.

I now live in Tennessee, and you'll understand why I say "I found America, again!"

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I now live in Tennessee, and you'll understand why I say "I found America, again!"

and we are glad to have you and yous here, I just cant understand why anyone  would even consider living in a place that will not let you protect you and yours.

5 minutes ago, RED333 said:

and we are glad to have you and yous here, I just cant understand why anyone  would even consider living in a place that will not let you protect you and yours.

Born and raised... was all I'd known since birth, its taught to you in school (and I don't think my schooling was indoctrination).. in some ways its a prideful thing, which is both good and bad. Reminds me of a mild case of jingoism.

In NY, all your handguns are listed on a separate Pistol Permit Card that must be carried with the permit. Un-papered handguns carry a premium added cost to them if you want one. And those AH's think they own you. You pay more to breath the air in NY. Buy their gas and tell me not.... You have to be a fool to own anything in NY you cant carry away from there.  

Signed

X-Fool

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I find it curious that the "other" side uses Tennessee law that is still on the books since 1821 to argue for gun control.

Keep in mind, the GA still holds the carrying of a loaded handgun to be a crime (TCA39-17-1307).

From the Oral arguments:

NEW YORK STATE RIFLE & PISTOL ) ASSOCIATION, INC., ET AL., ) Petitioners, ) v. ) No. 20-843 KEVIN P. BRUEN, IN HIS OFFICIAL ) CAPACITY AS SUPERINTENDENT OF ) NEW YORK STATE POLICE, ET AL., ) Respondents.

ORAL ARGUMENT OF BRIAN H. FLETCHER, FOR THE UNITED STATES, AS AMICUS CURIAE, SUPPORTING THE RESPONDENTS

...I am focusing on laws that either prohibited or required a showing of good cause to carry a concealable weapon, like a pistol.

Tennessee enacted one of those laws in 1821. Texas followed in 1871. New Mexico and Arkansas likewise enacted such laws in the years immediately after the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment. And over the decades that followed, more than a dozen other states enacted other laws that were at least as restrictive as New York's. Like my friends from New York, I count about 20 laws in total that fit that description.