357 or 45 acp for hiking

loadedp3at

10 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

The problem I have is that I acquired a 44 mag a while back and have no other 44's. And I have lots of 357/38's.

had a blue聽 6 inch 669VR back in the 80s. it took on some very hot reloads with no issues. had to pawn it to pay my divorce lawyer along with a stainless 85. Taurus makes some good pistols, never had problem with any I've owned. have yet to own a 44 but it is on my list with Ruger's Alaskan being tops and raging bull second. but for EDC 45 has been my choice as long as clothing allows. only got a 9mm this year. 357 would still be my woods piece.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I generally carry a .357 when hiking.聽 The caliber offers adequate penetration to stop a bad guy or angry animal.

For me the simple manual of arms is a bonus.聽 I often hike with folks who don't shoot recreationally, and they could operate my revolver if I were hurt, etc.

By all means, 357 Mag. In lower calibers, there are none better. Get into 4 and 5, no comparisons.聽

Edited to add; Either will do the job. I pocket carry a 7 shot 357 K frame 2" daily. my preference.聽

Edited by pop pop

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.聽 Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.