I have never had this happen to me but it did. I bought federal brand ammo for 80 cents which is a lot cheaper than where I am from. However when I went to load clips, all the ammo are mixed brands. As I started to go through the ammo there is 556 and 223 so my question is  can a gun store/pawn shop do this? PLEASE HELP ASAP!! THANK YOU!

Not sure about the legality of it, but sounds unsafe as the gas pressure of those rounds are different.  If the gun is rated for 223 only, then there is the possibility of overpressure when shooting 556.  this article explains it better than I can:

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/the-dangers-of-mixing-up-5.56x45mm-nato-and-.223-remington-rounds/recreation-leisure

The guy that should me the ammo said it was federal it came in Orange box I was so excited on the price didnt even pay attention when I got home the box says Tennessee Cartridge and I have PMC,FED,etc like 15different ammo brands in one box I have never heard this ever happening but the Caliber and I just went through half a box and now I have 3 different caliber 

20211109_181252.jpg

Yeah. There are companies that make remanufactured ammo from range brass. These will have varying headstamps. I expect that’s what you have there. If so, it should be safe to shoot.

Tennessee Cartridge Company has a website.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, zombiedwner said:

The guy that should me the ammo said it was federal it came in Orange box I was so excited on the price didnt even pay attention when I got home the box says Tennessee Cartridge and I have PMC,FED,etc like 15different ammo brands in one box I have never heard this ever happening but the Caliber and I just went through half a box and now I have 3 different caliber 

20211109_181252.jpg

Tennessee Cartridge is an reloaded ammo factory in Fayette County.  What you get is what they put in the box.

Haven’t seen any since the last time I was in a Memphis gun store.

• Like 1

Pawn shop guys aren’t always the most honest folks available. Could be this guy didn’t know what he was talking about.  Could be he’s just dishonest. Could be you misunderstood. Nothing illegal here. To be honest, it’s partly on you. New Federal ammunition should be packaged in a Federal box. It’s likely decent ammo.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Pawn shop guys aren’t always the most honest folks available. Could be this guy didn’t know what he was talking about.  Could be he’s just dishonest. Could be you misunderstood. Nothing illegal here. To be honest, it’s partly on you. New Federal ammunition should be packaged in a Federal box. It’s likely decent ammo.

13 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

It is remanufactured ammo, and it’s safe to shoot. 

i’ve used it plenty of times myself.

Did you see where he said there's 3 different calibers?

I load mixed cases that I've picked up at the range, and have never had any difficulty with them.  

Be that as it may, if the dealer told you this was Federal ammo, he lied to you. It's not legal to advertise an item as being brand-name when it isn't, but you wouldn't have a leg to stand on as the box isn't a Federal box. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Do you really have three different calibers? A lot of us think of 5.56 and .223 as the same. (Defender's comment noted.) I couldn't read the third case you pictured, but the base does look a little smaller. I know I'd be pretty ticked to buy a box of .223 ammo and find some oddball rounds in there, especially at today's prices. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
33 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Did you see where he said there's 3 different calibers?

I did, and I disregarded it. I’ve shot plenty of TC Orange box so I am familiar with and trust in the product. While there could be the odd chance that something really wonky got in there, it isn’t likely. They’re almost certainty all variations of the same case. .223/5.56 with maybe headstamp variations making it appear as something oddball, but really just the same as the rest. The label on the side of the box is going to show .223 and that’s the pressures they’ve loaded it to. At the low pressures they load that stuff to, any internal dimensional differences in case wall thickness and such are negligible. This stuff isn’t loaded anywhere near to the upper edges of the safe limits. 

Now, when shooting remanufactured ammo I do take a little extra care with inspecting the ammo as I load it looking for signs of distressed cases and such. Other than that, shoot it without worry. 

Tennessee Cartridge Company is well known here in the west end of the state. They've been around for many years and quite a few local places sell it. As stated, its  remanufactuered ammo. Mixed cases are normal. But as Chuck said, it will be loaded to the specs of what is marked on the box.  I've used some myself. I'm not a fan as its not the most accurate stuff and often burns kinda dirty.  but I've never had any problems with it. 

Any falsehood would be on the guy who sold it to you, not TCC.  Where did you buy it? 

1 hour ago, Darrell said:

I load mixed cases that I've picked up at the range, and have never had any difficulty with them.  

Be that as it may, if the dealer told you this was Federal ammo, he lied to you. It's not legal to advertise an item as being brand-name when it isn't, but you wouldn't have a leg to stand on as the box isn't a Federal box. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Do you really have three different calibers? A lot of us think of 5.56 and .223 as the same. (Defender's comment noted.) I couldn't read the third case you pictured, but the base does look a little smaller. I know I'd be pretty ticked to buy a box of .223 ammo and find some oddball rounds in there, especially at today's prices. 

The base looks smaller because that round is further from the camera than the other two. I’m pretty sure I can make out 223 REM on it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I did, and I disregarded it. I’ve shot plenty of TC Orange box so I am familiar with and trust in the product. While there could be the odd chance that something really wonky got in there, it isn’t likely. They’re almost certainty all variations of the same case. .223/5.56 with maybe headstamp variations making it appear as something oddball, but really just the same as the rest. The label on the side of the box is going to show .223 and that’s the pressures they’ve loaded it to. At the low pressures they load that stuff to, any internal dimensional differences in case wall thickness and such are negligible. This stuff isn’t loaded anywhere near to the upper edges of the safe limits. 

Now, when shooting remanufactured ammo I do take a little extra care with inspecting the ammo as I load it looking for signs of distressed cases and such. Other than that, shoot it without worry. 

I have no problems with differing head stamps. The thing is he said 3 different calibers. If that's accurate then it's a problem..

8 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I have no problems with differing head stamps. The thing is he said 3 different calibers. If that's accurate then it's a problem..

Did you read the rest of the posts carefully? Perhaps English is a second language? I dunno.

My wife recently showed me a local guy on Facebook whining because a local pawn shop sold him a motorcycle as a Harley Davidson, and he later somehow discovered it was a Suzuki. If you don’t know the difference, are you really ready to buy one?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Did you read the rest of the posts carefully? Perhaps English is a second language? I dunno.

My wife recently showed me a local guy on Facebook whining because a local pawn shop sold him a motorcycle as a Harley Davidson, and he later somehow discovered it was a Suzuki. If you don’t know the difference, are you really ready to buy one?

Do you open every box of off-brands and confirm each one is of the correct caliber before you purchase?

I didn't think so.

It is all the same caliber, regardless of the headstamp.  Reman companies use whatever available brass they can get, which usually makes the ammo less than optimum due to some cases having less case capacity (thicker brass), but no real affect on plinking accuracy.  Here are some of my .308 cases which have differing headstamps, making it seem as they're different calibers.

6Kq9HXY.jpg

Edited by Omega

Thanks guys for all your help, it is reman ammo. I ran a check on company and they dont have any reported issues which is good. I am just super mad cause if I use it in my new AR Remington will void warr . so yea expensive lession lol I guess this is my welcome package for moving here lol