Getting in to reloading. A couple of questions.

Due to obvious reasons and having a ton of brass for multiple calibers, I have a RCBS Master reload kit that I've never put together or used.

I have the Speer book that it came with, but what modern book do you guys recommend? (Mostly planning on reloading .308, 30-30, 30-06, .243, .300 RUM, and probably .357M)

I've noticed that primers are getting harder and harder to come by, could I use CCI 200's in my .300 RUM or do I absolutely need the 250 magnum primer? Flip coin, can I use the 250's in the other calibers or is it too hot of a charge and need to also order 200's? Just really trying to keep costs to a minimal and not having to order stuff that I absolutely dont need to. 

Preferred powder in those calibers? Excluding the .357 (that you can still find some what readily available)

In this famine I have swapped out magnum for standard  small pistol primers. I had problems with one handgun and occasional misfires in another. Overall, for many hundreds of rounds the swap worked out.  

Personal Preference: I have all but stopped loading magnum rifle rounds due to scarcity of power and bullets. Personally, in the magnum rifle calibers loaded here I would never use standard large rifle primers instead of magnum, The only exception is using lead bullets.  YMMV

Added for you standard rounds I'd look at 4895, 4064 and 4350. Also for the large magnum it would by 4831 with possibly RL-19 and slower Alliant powders. For those rounds you are loading there dozens of good ways to go.

Edited by Mowgli Terry

I think I'm understanding what you're saying, for the common .308" rounds its fine to use the normal CCI 200 primers, but for the 300 RUM, should stick with the 250 Mag primers. I honestly figured that would be the case trying to ignite literally 2x the powder of the others with the 300 RUM, but kind of hoped I could get away with only having to use one type of primer. I see we're neighbors. 

Since you're just getting "into" reloading, go by the load data in manual you are using, don't vary from it until you have some experience under your belt.  Having several different reloading manuals is a good thing, some, if not most are available thru an app for your phone/tablet which is pretty handy at times, but the old school version book is good as well.  

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

Since you're just getting "into" reloading, go by the load data in manual you are using, don't vary from it until you have some experience under your belt.  Having several different reloading manuals is a good thing, some, if not most are available thru an app for your phone/tablet which is pretty handy at times, but the old school version book is good as well.  

I’ve been reloading for 40 years, and still follow published data. I rarely have a problem.

I agree that several reloading manuals from different companies are good to have.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve been reloading for 40 years, and still follow published data. I rarely have a problem.

Same here.  I have some ancient reloading manuals, and they're still valid, but it's always wise to keep an updated manual on the bench.  I found the information in the Lee reloading manual to be very valuable when I started playing with reduced loads.  Just be sure to understand signs of overpressure and to start at the low end of the suggested load range for the ammo you're reloading. 

Have fun! I probably enjoy reloading more than the actual shooting. Good luck finding primers, though.

• Like 1

Also know that just as it is important to not exceed published maximum loads, they also publish minimum loads for a reason.  Going below these can cause serious problems as well.

While the information in old manuals doesn’t really go out of date, adding an updated version occasionally is handy so you can take advantage of newer powders and projectiles.

I would have to look at some of my manuals to se if there's a powder that would work good in .30-30, .308, .30-06, and .243. I know IMR 4895  will do good in .30-30, .308, and .30-06 but, .243 sometimes does better with slightly slower powder. Obviously the .300 RUM will need a sloooow powder.

Edited by Quavodus

Good advice so far. The internet is full of reloading date. BUT use reliable resources. Not just some load some guy posted on some forum somewhere. 🙄

Sorry to tell ya, but now is not a good time to get into reloading. Just like ammo, there's very little out there as far as reloading supplies go. It may even be worse as manufacturers  can get more for loaded ammo than components. Right now I'm hoarding what powder and primers I have to only make those calibers I run low on. The days of loading a ton of any caliber just to stock up are gone. And forget about working up a best load for any particular gun.  🙁

• Like 1

The Hornady manual tends to be a little on the safe side of things. I usually check the Hodgdon website and cross reference the two. You can find load data there for Hodgdon, IMR, Accurate, Ramshot and Winchester powders now as they under one roof, Plus it's free. I have a couple of other books that I will occasionally take a peek at if I can't find what I am looking for but that doesn't happen very often

On 11/12/2021 at 4:25 PM, Quavodus said:

I told both my friends that just got started to just check sporting good stores as often as you can. That's what I do, and I've found primers and powder, every now and then. 

Same here. Check stores & online as much as possible. Vigilance has rewarded me on rare occasions.

You could also try Gunbroker,  if you have deep pockets.

I agree with most of the above, but I honestly don't keep buying manuals.  At first, they are great as they step you through the process of reloading, but the load data does not change much, if at all.  There are upteen official sites from bullet and powder manufacturers that you can always get updated load data.  As far as supplies, they are out there, though the price is not pleasant.  If this shortage issue continues, the market and entrepreneurs will find a way.  Right now, there is an uptick on reloading primers, making your own black powder, and many are switching to PCP rifles to forgo all the primer, brass and powder issues.

I use the manual that manufactures the bullet, ie: Hornady bullet, Hornady manual. Did a bit of research a while back, just out of curiosity ( too much time on my hands? ).  What I found was, using the same type/ weight, etc, bullet, different manuals show vast differences in powder charges.  I don't like to push my luck.

• Like 1