Anybody here built a super dooper 10/22 for target or hunting..? Please tell me about it...

leroy

Brothers n Sisters....

I'm afflicted with a new mania... A "sooper dooper " 10/22...

This about sums it up:

Anybody here built a super dooper 10/22 for target or hunting..?  Please tell me about it...

Thanks a bunch...

" J Thaddeus " leroy.... The 10/22 explorer...

I've tinkered with a few 10/22s, not sure if they would qualify as "Sooper dooper". Most recently I picked up a 20inch barrel and single stage trigger group from Kidd innovative design and really like it. In my experience and research, the products from Tony Kidd seem to be a direct route to both outstanding performance and your bank account.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/

You can spend a lot of coin in this quest and quickly your $200 10/22 has several hundred dollars of "upgrades". There are also tons of threads about the subject at rimfirecentral.com

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Good luck!

PXL_20211031_195939106.jpg

• Like 3

I've done a couple 10/22 builds, but I used new 10/22 actions and used Feddersen barrels and Archangel stocks.  Aftermarket triggers are available as well, so you can spend as much as you want if you desire.  RFC has lots of builds over there.  

• Like 1

Define "Super Duper".  There are very few 10/22's of any flavor out there that I would spend the money on to make them shoot at best "almost" as good as a bolt gun.  That's of course not a 100% of the time statement, but I can be pretty confident I can spend $1000 on a bolt gun that will almost always outshoot a built 10/22.  There are exceptions, but in general it will be true.

Not saying you still don't want a 10/22, just trying to understand your usage and expectations.  For me, target and hunting have very different accuracy needs.  If it is more just plinking, and wanting to pop off rounds with 'reasonable' accuracy, a nice 10/22 will do just fine.  

Hozzie...

" sooper dooper " for me would be a short barreled adjustable stocked 10/ 22  that would shoot about 1/2 inch at 50 yards with a scout scope or 3x magnified red dot.  The main thing is short n stiff barrel. Adjustable stock.  Hopin to get just over the SBR length.  

leroy.  

1.Ruger 10/22 blue receiver

2.ER Shaw Heavy Barrel Blue

3.Boyds Hunter stock

4.Ruger BX1 trigger

5.Tandemkross bolt hold open extension and charging handle

6.Ruger standard bolt

7.Vortex Crossfire II 4x12x44 with AO

Around $1000.00 at finish-and will shoot 1/2 inch group at 50 yards with CCI SV ammo

IMG_20210703_164643401.jpg

IMG_20210703_164657126.jpg

1022 CCI SV 50 Yards.jpg

Edited by krunchnik
added target
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, leroy said:

Hozzie...

" sooper dooper " for me would be a short barreled adjustable stocked 10/ 22  that would shoot about 1/2 inch at 50 yards with a scout scope or 3x magnified red dot.  The main thing is short n stiff barrel. Adjustable stock.  Hopin to get just over the SBR length.  

leroy.  

Not trying to be negative, but shooting a 1/2" group at 50 yards with a scout scope or red dot is not realistic.  The 16" barrel doesn't help in that regard either.  

I think you can build a gun that will definitely meet your needs, but I would guess an inch at 50 yards as setup is about as good as one could expect.  Probably important to understand that I shoot 22 BR competitively and probably have a different view of what accuracy is.  One can shoot a 3 shot group with about any gun at some point and have what some consider to be a one hole group.  My expectations are that I can pull that gun out and do that at anytime within reason.

Here is a picture of a 10/22 that I put together, but it is more custom than most.  I had a TCR22 that I never really shot so I used it to have some fun building something I would shoot.  I threaded the receiver and used an extra BR barrel I had laying around (Douglas).  It has a Kidd Bolt, springs, trigger, and rear tang.  I bedded the receiver as well.  It will shoot better than many 22's, but for the money in it, not worth the cost IMO.  I did all of the machining so that cost wasn't extra.

i-vm87hxm-XL.jpg

Long story short.  Buy the (quality) parts that you like the looks of and put it together.  The biggest factor in accuracy is going to be a quality barrel and decent ammo.  About the only thing I am confident of saying is I would absolutely get a Kidd Trigger.  There are cheaper options, but day in and day out, Kidd is hard to beat for a 10/22 trigger.

• Like 3

I've built more than my fair share of 10/22 rifles.  I started out modifying existing rifles (i.e. Thompson Center TCR/22) and have built some from the ground up.  Examples:

Kidd guts/receiver including a Kidd 2-stage (8oz/8oz) trigger, Victor Titan stock, and a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. Using Burris XTR rings so I can bottom out the Athlon Midas TAC scope for shooting out to 500 yards.

Proof10-22_1.thumb.jpg.76665e188c603014f1d463fb4d030a78.jpg

Proof10-22_2.thumb.jpg.f99ffd3e144606d506e598a8619826af.jpg

Some of the shots from the first day with it:

Proof10-22_3.thumb.jpg.e58b8a98e2c530a9707de19d0c943f12.jpg

That rifle originally had a Fedderson stainless (polished) barrel on it that was just as accurate as the Proof Research.  It now has a front rail mounded so I can use my Ckye Pod bi-pod on it.

Next rifle has the same (Kidd) guts but with a Kidd chassis and a Feddersen barrel.

KiddChassis04272019.thumb.jpg.299c4f67184c2d3da381f108cbcb4d98.jpg

MPA_EVG.thumb.jpg.41a13fe29e8b9242d078ec19e0eacaa7.jpg

I had to dremel in order to get the MPA grip on the chassis. The grip forces you to only use the pad of your finger helping consistency.

Edited by billmeek
grammer
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, billmeek said:

When you add all the other tools/toys (i.e. Labradar), it can get rather expensive.  But so can a 22LR bolt gun.  Take a look at the Vudoo rifles:

https://vudoogunworks.com/

A less expensive bolt action that still uses the Remington 700 footprint is the Bergara B14R.  I have one of those and it's very accurate.

Agree, for the money of building a custom 10/22, I would buy a Bergara B14R and buy a different stock if I didn't like the factory one.  I also have the Bergara ( and have had Vudoo's).  For the money, the B14R or even the new BMR is a better buy.  The BMR is a bit smaller and doesn't require AICS type mags.

Take a Bergara B14R/BMR, drop in a TriggerTech Diamond trigger (flat trigger is my preference), add a good optic, and call it a day.  I would suggest the steel barrel on any Bergara.  I bought one of the BXR (10/22 clone) with the carbon fiber barrel and had to return the rifle twice to get a decent barrel. 

Thanks to all who have opined...

I'm an old turn bolt rifleman and I understand the " bolt gun shoots better " thing.   

My goal is to build a short, light rifle with no more than a 3x (... preferably 1 to 3x ...) scope, or a red dot + 3x magnifier that will shoot into 1/2 at 50 yards.  I simply cant see that as a " too lofty " goal for a semi.. I could live with a 3/4 spread at 50 yards. The neighborhood is the important thing here. 1/2 is simply the objective.

I get the good barrel, good trigger, good ammo thing.  Ima thinkin some sort of short, stiff barrel is the way ta go.  What barrels doya like. ?

leroy...

Pick your favorite.  They have 16.5" versions in many of them I think.

https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/Heavy-Rifle_c_17.html

Or do it the easy way and just go here and have it ready to go.  Just add a stock.  (PS. Get the rear tang).

https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Aftermarket-Barreled-Action-Supergrade-with-Build-Options-_p_172.html

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

If you want a semi auto (10/22) and do nothing much to it, find a 10/22 LVT model.  See how it shoots before doing anything to it.  Then if you want to improve it, send it to Joe Chacon for a "tune up", he will check it over from chamber to crown, do what is needed to accurize it, work the trigger group, bed the action to the stock, etc.  Prices were reasonable for what he did to one of mine about 2 yrs ago.  I was going to use it in ABRA factory class with the grandson but it never happened, so I sold it.  

• Like 1
On 11/11/2021 at 6:23 PM, leroy said:

My goal is to build a short, light rifle with no more than a 3x (... preferably 1 to 3x ...) scope, or a red dot + 3x magnifier that will shoot into 1/2 at 50 yards.  I simply cant see that as a " too lofty " goal for a semi.. I could live with a 3/4 spread at 50 yards. The neighborhood is the important thing here. 1/2 is simply the objective.

For a light-weight (free-hand rifle) this started life as Thompson Center TCR/22 that went through *several* revisions over time. It now has a Kidd 2-stage (3oz/3oz) trigger which is very touchy... which I like on this rifle. The Fab Defense folding stock isn’t the lightest possible, but works well and is reasonably light. Not the most accurate, but is lightweight, it has a Whistle Pig barrel.  You won't be stacking rounds in the same hole, but with reasonable ammo (CCI SV) it's capable of your target grouping from a bench. Optic is a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 with Aero Precision Ultralight mount.

WP_lite1022a.thumb.jpg.05f59c91fffa3b8d1101ff08e931343a.jpg

WP_lite1022b.thumb.jpg.4c80f366911c113901afb54b7cbe373b.jpg

You can build a lighter 10/22, but I don't think the nominal weight difference / cost would be worth it.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, billmeek said:

For a light-weight (free-hand rifle) this started life as Thompson Center TCR/22 that went through *several* revisions over time. It now has a Kidd 2-stage (3oz/3oz) trigger which is very touchy... which I like on this rifle. The Fab Defense folding stock isn’t the lightest possible, but works well and is reasonably light. Not the most accurate, but is lightweight, it has a Whistle Pig barrel.  You won't be stacking rounds in the same hole, but with reasonable ammo (CCI SV) it's capable of your target grouping from a bench. Optic is a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 with Aero Precision Ultralight mount.

WP_lite1022a.thumb.jpg.05f59c91fffa3b8d1101ff08e931343a.jpg

WP_lite1022b.thumb.jpg.4c80f366911c113901afb54b7cbe373b.jpg

You can build a lighter 10/22, but I don't think the nominal weight difference / cost would be worth it.

Bill...

It's the " Collective Mind " Brother...!!! Ya built my rifle... This is exactly what I've been thinkin about... Ya have nailed it 100%.

Thank you Brother.  Now I know what I need ta do.  

RmThanks again..!

leroy.  

Leroy,

If you don't already have a bare 10/22 to start with and plan on customizing anyway, a Brownells 10/22 receiver and Ruger completion kit (bolt, charging handle, pins) is a cost efficient way to start your build. But search around and you might find a complete rifle (used) for not a lot more.  I used the Brownells receiver to build a 10/22 pistol as it had never been configured as a rifle and didn't want to pay the price of a Ruger Charger since I was going to replace many of the parts anyway.  I've not had and major issues with it in several thousands of rounds. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Started with the Ruger "Target Lite", replaced the barrel with a Shaw 18" bull barrel, swapped out the trigger for a Kidd two stage ... won the first match it shot, which was also my first "automatic" match, has won more matches than it's lost ... best was a 50-4x, 50's with 1 to 4 x's are common ... outshoots both my CZ bolt guns ... wish I could figure out how to setup a factory class legal 10-22 that would shoot even close to that well ... probably got lucky and just happened to get a phenomenal barrel, but it's amazing

• Love 1