New to Nashville

Hellos to everyone! Just moved down from Montana. Does anyone know any public land to take out my toys to make sure they’re sighted in well? Used to finding an area off a road and shooting. Nashville seems to populated to do that kind of stuff around here. If I’m just going to sight in stuff, I don’t want to have to pay a $20 range fee for 2hrs. Something that has 100yrds would be nice. Thanks in advance. Had a small collection, then sold pretty much of all of it. Slimming down calibers and platforms to be a sig p320 guy and AR guy exclusively. Not too long ago had some stuff posted for sale too

12 hours ago, Skinahh86 said:

Used to finding an area off a road and shooting. Nashville seems to populated to do that kind of stuff around here. 

Hello! There's not really any public land (like National Forest or BLM land) here like there is out West. I am not aware of any free places to shoot unless you have/know someone with private land.  

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) has public shooting ranges in various locations around the state. https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/firing-ranges.html 

There are 3 that I know of near Nashville:

Cheatham Wildlife Management Area range west of Nashville near Ashland City

Montgomery County Shooting Complex south of Clarksville: http:// www.shoottn.org 

Stones River Hunter Education Center between Nashville & LaVergne: 2618 Hobson Pike, Antioch, TN.

There are private ranges/clubs to shoot with which I have no first hand experience. Maybe someone else will post info about those.

14 hours ago, Skinahh86 said:

Hellos to everyone! Just moved down from Montana. Does anyone know any public land to take out my toys to make sure they’re sighted in well? Used to finding an area off a road and shooting. Nashville seems to populated to do that kind of stuff around here. If I’m just going to sight in stuff, I don’t want to have to pay a $20 range fee for 2hrs. Something that has 100yrds would be nice. Thanks in advance. Had a small collection, then sold pretty much of all of it. Slimming down calibers and platforms to be a sig p320 guy and AR guy exclusively. Not too long ago had some stuff posted for sale too

The Stones River range (state owned) is cheap, safe, and really will equipped for sighting in rifles. Moveable target stands at 25, 50, and 100 yards. It's out on Percy Priest lake. I kept annual memberships for several years. I think they are only open on weekends.

2 hours ago, Skinahh86 said:

Hey thanks so much! The both of you. Good to know! Guess I gotta meet some people with private land at work then. 

do you happen to know how the range safety officers are about AR pistols? 

The RSO's at Stones River were always great. They're safe though. It has been awhile since I was there.  It's the busiest range in the state, so they see a lot of dip####s. I would call. I doubt that you will have a problem. We showed up there with a couple of AR's one day and blew through 500 rounds about as fast as we could without melting the guns. The RSO's got a kick out of it.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:06 PM, Skinahh86 said:

Hey thanks so much! The both of you. Good to know! Guess I gotta meet some people with private land at work then. 

Be advised, if you go to the Cheatham Co range, do NOT go by yourself. You'll want one guy to stay back with the guns/gear while the other pastes targets. 

Also, at Cheatham you WILL get covered by a muzzle sooner or later. I think almost every single time I've gone there I've chewed someone's ass out for safety. Not one time, ever, did they say a word back to me. Probably because they knew they were in the wrong. 

At Cheatham you'll need to buy a day pass at one of the mini marts close to the range. At one time there were two stores, no clue about now. There's no RSO's at Cheatham but there are at Stones River. This is a mixed blessing. At Stones River, you have to shoot after picking a pistol up off the the table. At Cheatham, you can do a fast draw if you want. 

You can buy targets at SR, you have to take your own at Cheatham. Take your own folding chair at Cheatham too. No bathroom at Cheatham, so if #2 is needed, go across the road into the woods. 

Brass whores abound at both ranges. 

Montgomery Co range goes out to 400 yards, IIRC? They have steel plates at the handgun range too. Nice place. 

• Love 1
On 11/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, bobsguns said:

Be advised, if you go to the Cheatham Co range, do NOT go by yourself. You'll want one guy to stay back with the guns/gear while the other pastes targets. 

Also, at Cheatham you WILL get covered by a muzzle sooner or later. I think almost every single time I've gone there I've chewed someone's ass out for safety. Not one time, ever, did they say a word back to me. Probably because they knew they were in the wrong. 

At Cheatham you'll need to buy a day pass at one of the mini marts close to the range. At one time there were two stores, no clue about now. There's no RSO's at Cheatham but there are at Stones River. This is a mixed blessing. At Stones River, you have to shoot after picking a pistol up off the the table. At Cheatham, you can do a fast draw if you want. 

You can buy targets at SR, you have to take your own at Cheatham. Take your own folding chair at Cheatham too. No bathroom at Cheatham, so if #2 is needed, go across the road into the woods. 

Brass whores abound at both ranges. 

Montgomery Co range goes out to 400 yards, IIRC? They have steel plates at the handgun range too. Nice place. 

Montgomery County is my favorite for shooting. But, you are stuck with fixed targets in each lane. Stones River has movable targets, and is the best place to sight in rifles.

If I still lived there, I would have a membership at Strategic Edge. 

• Like 1

Is it Montgomery? Is that the one with no RSO? I take my kids with me. Try teach my kids around good examples not morons. To sight in, I’ll go by myself with that ar pistol but if not I’ll go somewhere else with the youngins 

thanks for info again