The future of firearms and because I love the Ember War books.

Alleycat72

34 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Until there is a battery that has about Million amp hours that will fit in my pocket and discharge at a very high rate and not blow up and recharge in less than 1 second all that stuff is mute.

Having a battery in with the mag that runs capacitors would be the ticket. In an equivalent of a bolt gun that will fire once every second at 3000 fps accurately would be fantastic. I just wonder what guys thought about smokeless powder after shooting black powder their entire life. The big thing is, what are these guns going to be capable of in 5 to 10 years? In the books they fired dart type projectiles similar to a tank sabot round only smaller. 

• Like 1

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a32291935/navy-railgun-failure/

A lot of military budget spent on development. I don’t know if we will see it in production. 
There are air guns that would out perform the one in the YouTube video.

But I do believe electronics will be fully integrated into handheld military weapons. Eventually conventional powder and lead projectiles will be replaced.  

9 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

Has anyone besides me seen a capacitor explode?  I saw a ball of fire shoot about 10 ft out of an Allen Bradley motor drive years ago.

I have. They called gas engines explosion motors at the end of the steam engine car era. Technology just hasn't 100% got there. Caps blow less than batteries. A cap usually pops because someone installed it backwards......usually.....

On 11/13/2021 at 5:23 PM, Alleycat72 said:

I have. They called gas engines explosion motors at the end of the steam engine car era. Technology just hasn't 100% got there. Caps blow less than batteries. A cap usually pops because someone installed it backwards......usually.....

Did that once.
It was quite spectacular. 🤣

Capacitors have physical limits.  I once worked on a CO2 gas laser used to make holes in industrial diamonds to thread very small wire through.  It had .2 Farad capacitor and was huge.  I think another technology might be better like a rail gun.  We did research on rail guns where I retired from.  The projectile would melt in normal atmospheric pressure.  This was in the “Star Wars” experiments.

• Like 1