Do we have any HAM Radio operators in here?

Ramjo

I have had my ticket since the end of March of this year. I tested and upgraded to general licensee on Field Day. 

Currently, my main rig is the Yaesu 991a and have about 50' of Rohn 25 tower I am erecting to place my antennas on. I also have an old boat anchor Swan 700cx that I'm looking forward to hooking up and checking in to the moonlighters vintage radio net.

Just curious to see what the overlap of gun and radio enthusiasts we have on here?!

Throw out your callsign!

Mine is N4JAB, Joe in Chuckey, TN.

I am an active member of my local club, the Andrew Johnson Amateur Radio Club  https://ajarc.org/ located in Greeneville, TN.

We hold a net every Monday night at 9:00pm on 145.390 -.6 offset with a 88.5 tone for anyone interested in checking in with us. We also have 70cm and 6m repeaters linked to the 2m and those frequencies are listed at the bottom of the website homepage. Hope to hear from all of you out there!

Edited by Ramjo

KC7TEN  The call sign was assigned while I lived in WA, but I won't change it to a 4 now that I'm in TN.  Extra license from back when code was required, but I've not set up since moving here. I was working on clearing an area to put up an end-fed wire antenna this morning.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Ramjo said:

We hold a net every Monday night at 9:00pm on 145.390 -.6 offset with a 88.5 tone for anyone interested in checking in with us. We also have 70cm and 6m repeaters linked to the 2m and those frequencies are listed at the bottom of the website homepage. 

I get the frequency part, but what does the rest of it mean in English?

5 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

I get the frequency part, but what does the rest of it mean in English?

The frequency is in the two meter band, and accesses a repeater. The offset is a difference between the receive and transmit frequencies, and the tone is something that tells the repeater that you're talking to it.  If you transmit on the repeater's frequency without the tone, the repeater won't open.

Two meter radios are often very low power hand-held "walkie talkies" with limited line-of-sight range. Repeaters are typically located on a hill or tall building and by using a repeater one can communicate over greater distances. The repeater literally repeats what it hears in near real-time. To the users it's virtually undetectable.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Darrell said:

KC7TEN  The call sign was assigned while I lived in WA, but I won't change it to a 4 now that I'm in TN.  Extra license from back when code was required, but I've not set up since moving here. I was working on clearing an area to put up an end-fed wire antenna this morning.

Well that's pretty cool that your suffix is TEN for Tennessee. I wish I had a tree on my property that I could have run an end fed dipole to. Thats why im doing the inverted V g5rv instead.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Photoguy67 said:

Darrell is 100% right, just thought I would add this graphic so MAYBE it helps.  Oh and KE4PJR Ridgetop, Tn.

repeater_exampleWP.jpg

Nice graphic. Youre 275 miles from me. Can you hit the W4KEV linked repeater system from where you are?

KS4BTO, but I haven't turned on a radio on in over a year. I keep meaning to install one of my mobile units in the truck or set my APRS system back up never seem to get around to it. 
Not a ton of local traffic and I am only in the car 40 to 45 minutes a day for my suburban commute so I don't have a great deal of need for it. 

• 1 month later...

An ancient Extra class licensee here, who had to pass code tests back in the day.  I'm also licensed in Canada and Sri Lanka.  I'm active mostly on VHF, 40 and 80 meters.  Mostly wire antenna in operation at my QTH, though I have at least one tower I hope to put up in the spring.  It's a great hobby!

Sorry for the late reply.

• Like 1