Which 357 to get

gomer pyle

I have had a hankering for a 357 revolver for a while now, and after picking up a JM stamp marlin this weekend....

I would like something to shoot but also carry, especially in the woods. I have been looking at N-frame S&W performance center(327 TRR8 and v-comp). Any thoughts on these, or something else you would recommend? I would like 4-5" barrel, lighter weight, and a better trigger. I'm not against a smaller frame, but I have larger hands and like the higher capacity. 

Find a Ruger Security Six.  They're indestructible, so virtually any year and any round count will do.  The factory triggers will never be all that great, but some basic gunsmithing can improve them a lot, or so I'm told.  Mine are all factory stock ...

• Like 2

I would recommend a S&W L-frame either a 586 (blue) or 686 (stainless). I think its the perfect .357. Heavy enough to handle full power .357s and shoot very well, but a bit smaller than the big N-frames for easier carry. 😉

For the larger N-frames, I'll second the Model 28. Ain't nuthin' fancy, just an excellent revolver. 👍

I also go along with Greg. Find an older used gun made before 1998. No lock or MIM parts. Made the way that made S&W famous. 😉 

No One had a great suggestion. If you can find one the old Ruger Security Six is an outstanding revolver. But those are getting harder to find because Ruger discontinued them in the late 1980s. 🙄   Ruger's current  GP-100 is a fine gun as well. Lots of folks absolutely love 'em. 

And if you have the money, there's always the Colts. For your needs a Trooper MK III or MK V would fill the bill without breaking the bank. 

Anyway, there are lots of good choices out there. Take your pick. 😃

10 hours ago, gomer pyle said:

I have had a hankering for a 357 revolver for a while now, and after picking up a JM stamp marlin this weekend....

I would like something to shoot but also carry, especially in the woods. I have been looking at N-frame S&W performance center(327 TRR8 and v-comp). Any thoughts on these, or something else you would recommend? I would like 4-5" barrel, lighter weight, and a better trigger. I'm not against a smaller frame, but I have larger hands and like the higher capacity. 

Considering the fact that you just purchased a high $$$ lever (congrats from a fellow Marlin 357 owner/lover) and are looking at a wheel gun from S&W's PC line (also high $$$) I'm guessing the price tag isn't a major determining factor in your search.

Based on that I would say you are spot on with the 327 TRR8. I had one but opted for the 327NG and love it. Weight will most likely offset because of the additional 2 rounds so I wouldn't base it on that. Since it's a PC model you most likely won't have to deal with the trigger issues many standard run new models sometimes bring with them.Lock and MIM parts be damned the PC models are a breed apart from regular line. At least I think so. As far as going used ( I'm sure you have done your homework ) a used N frame is rarely "cheap" these days especially if it's prelock so I'd spend the extra money as history has shown nice things aren't getting cheaper. Good luck in your search.

IMG_3486.JPG

• Like 1

The S&W Model 28 is nice but I all ways referr to it as "The Boat Anchor" at over 2.5 lbs on the 4", shoots soft but carry? Naw, Id pass on that. If I wanted to get spendy on a nice DA wheel gun, my vote goes for the older 686 or 586. If you want to carry it all day with less range time, the 66/19 is a sweet hart to carry.  Now if your cheap like me, I opted for an old model Taurus 669 but the 689's look nice with ribbed barrels. The triggers need a little work to bring them around to near S&W function but they shoot as well as the S&W's in general. The rear sight is what S&W SHOULD have done decades ago!  Pocketed a few C notes on a fine 357 S&W L frame clone. I did the trigger to a 8.5 lb DA pull and changed the grip. Keeper. JMO.

AxwvaMsl.jpg

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, hipower said:

Not qite what the OP suggested that he wanted, but a favorite of mine is the Model 19. S&W Perfection!

But then there's a lot to be said for the 686 too!

One of my all time favorites was a nickel model 19 with a 4" barrel. Wish I had it back.

• Like 1

Goner has just picked up a marlin 357 lever action and no one suggested a single action. Ruger single actions can be found. Go ahead and get the single action 357, marlin 357 lever action and some deer skin leather drawers! 

• Haha 1

Lots of good suggestions above. I have a love of .357 due to my Papaw having a Nickle Model 19 as his Police sidearm. 

I have a S&W Model 13 I like. Plus I have older Dan Wessons. All are good. 

Right now though if you are not set on something particular, buying new might be the best bang for the buck, Some chain brick and mortar stores are still keeping the prices closer to what they were preCovid on guns. The used market is the Wild Wild West. 

To me, the key criteria here is the mention of "carry". That would preclude the use of N-frames & most L-frame S&W's. 

I have bought two .357mag guns in the last couple of years, both with carry in mind. Both have a 3" barrel.

The first one I bought was the "new" Colt King Cobra. Stainless steel, so the finish is robust & hardy against bad weather. Well built gun & who can deny the Colt mystique?

The last one is the S&W 19C. This has the single port comp on the end of the barrel, something nice to have in rapid fire. Not terribly good for low-light or night shooting, but there's ways around that. 

Both are nice shooters, well built with no flaws that I can find. I would be hard pressed to pick a fav, which is why I have both.   😉 

As for the above mentioned single action choice, *I* would look at Freedom Arms. Built like a Swiss watch, virtually indestructible with normal loads. Not cheap though, it'll be close to $2k, maybe a bit above it?

My .o2

7 hours ago, The Legion said:

It has a 3" barrel but I have been carrying a Colt King Cobra.  It has a great trigger and is very accurate.

Those are nice guns and I would give them a serious look.  I handled one when they first came out and had a hard time giving it back to the guy at the gun shop counter.  

If you want anything bigger, I would look for a used Ruger GP100.  Just as good as the Security Six (which I like better), but probably a little cheaper and a lot easier to find.  If you want to spend a little more, look for a no-lock S&W 586/686.  If you plan to shoot a steady dose of full house .357, I would avoid the K-frame Smiths. 

Edited by deerslayer
2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

If you plan to shoot a steady dose of full house .357, I would avoid the K-frame Smiths. 

A good point. The Models 19 & 66 are outstanding guns. But bear in mind that they were intended to be carried a lot and shot a little. The whole concept was to give LEOs a lighter, harder hitting sidearm. It was supposed to be shot with .38 Specials for practice and training and only use .357s for duty carry. 

As i said, they are wonderful guns. I have two myself. But use of full house magnum loads should be limited. Also do not use ammo of 125 grs or lighter as these have proven to be very hard on the forcing cone and even caused some to crack. With the K-frame magnums its best to stick to 158 gr magnum loads. 

The whole reason S&W developed the L-frame was to correct the shortcomings with the K-frame magnums. And they did an absolutely wonderful job. As I said before, I consider the S&W 586/686 to be the ideal .357 revolver. 👍

Edited by Grayfox54
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Also do not use ammo of 125 grs or lighter as these have proven to be very hard on the forcing cone and even caused some to crack.

125gr loads are ok. It's the lighter, 110gr loads that should be avoided. 

The 125gr load is the #1 single-shot-stop of all the handgun load & calibers, BTW. 

• Thanks 1

357's: I have a nice condition Model 28-2. Gun came with factory target stocks. Change out the grips for the standards. This swap made for a   much better handling handgun for me. Much of that clunky feel went away for me. In the day the N frame guns were the favorite of some pretty impressive shots.

The handgun I shoot most is a 586-no dash 6". Next I one of my favorites is a 6"19-5.  I do not care for two piece barrels and locks. Also, my guns have no fancy options. That extra stuff does not warn the cockles of my heart. My handguns are generally made for shooting.

Yes, I got a couple of Smith safe queens. I do not care about a revolver as a carry gun. If I did it would be my 624 Smith.

Edited by Mowgli Terry
5 hours ago, Mowgli Terry said:

... I got a couple of Smith safe queens. I do not care about a revolver as a carry gun. If I did it would be my 624 Smith.

Yeah, those "safe Queens" do make life interesting. lol!

I sold a 624 last year. I really hated to, but pretty looks just weren't enough. I found it difficult to absorb the ammo cost of the 44 mag vs the 44 special. And availability entered the picture as well.

Yes, I don't remember seeing a box of 44 Specials shells on anybody's shelf lately. Since I reload this scarcity of factory rounds is not a problem. There's a revival of 44 Special going on as we speak. We may see more factory ammo at the Big Box. I there are more guns offered in this caliber than ever before. Many people are out there working up "Skeeter" loads with a 250 SWC going 1000fps. That's no toy.  I'm not going to evangelize on reloading but it gives us some extremely good choices. Hope you find another 624 that comes with 300 rounds of ammo. I hope that for me too😀

8 hours ago, JustEd said:

In addition to what has been said....be sure to get a set of reloading dies.  Rolling your own is about the only way to go with .357 now a days.

That is something I have not tried yet.  It so overwhelming to get started and I keep hearing about primer and powder shortages that I have not seriously looked into starting.