Which 357 to get

gomer pyle

16 hours ago, gomer pyle said:

It so overwhelming to get started and I keep hearing about primer and powder shortages that I have not seriously looked into starting.

Reading about it was daunting to me.

Watching someone go through the three steps required made it much simpler to my mind. If you can't find someone locally, watch a few YouTube vids.

Sourcing all the parts and pieces are a challenge right now, might get lucky find someone selling a complete setup (think estate sale).

• 3 weeks later...

I got a representative samples of  K,  L and N frame Smith's. Each shoots very well as a 38 Special. Been doing that for years waiting for the dreaded "carbon ring." 

Right, this is not a good time to get started reloading. Wait six months. I'd suggest shopping for second hand gear in the meantime.. Skeeter also had 38 Special loads.

It will be a cold day in hell when cost of factory centerfire rounds keeps me from shooting any reloadable caliber. The cost of factory rounds would  never keep me from owning and shooting a firearm  in any reloadable caliber.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:18 PM, derf said:

Goner has just picked up a marlin 357 lever action and no one suggested a single action. Ruger single actions can be found. Go ahead and get the single action 357, marlin 357 lever action and some deer skin leather drawers! 

This is good. one of the local shops here has Taylor & Co in stock with both plow handle and birdshead grips. A nice SA in 357 would be a great trial gun and perfect companion to a 357 lever gun.

• Like 1
On 11/14/2021 at 9:33 PM, gomer pyle said:

I have had a hankering for a 357 revolver for a while now, and after picking up a JM stamp marlin this weekend....

I would like something to shoot but also carry, especially in the woods. I have been looking at N-frame S&W performance center(327 TRR8 and v-comp). Any thoughts on these, or something else you would recommend? I would like 4-5" barrel, lighter weight, and a better trigger. I'm not against a smaller frame, but I have larger hands and like the higher capacity. 

Probably a Ruger GP100. Nice enough, holds 7. If it were me I'd get a Blackhawk with the 9mm to 357 convertible cylinder. Eats 3 common types of ammo and IMO is more fun to shoot. If you went GP100 I'd get the 7 shot 327 cylinder. Those things can shoot 32 ACP in a pinch.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably heresy and I'm proposing this as an owner of several Smiths and a couple of Rugers. I picked up a Taurus Tracker 4-inch ported barrel seven round double action revolver. I have to say it really surprised me in the quality , fit and finish, and frankly it is accurate as hell. I take it with me when I go hog hunting and load it with heavy 357 200 grain hard cast from. Buffalo Bore.  I use my Winchester 94 in 30-30 and I am well served with both. Just a thought. Lots of them in local shops here in East Tennessee. I picked up mine at Mike's Gun Shop in Morristown. Nice people good prices. Good luck.

Ed

Edited by Edantes
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Edantes said:

This is probably heresy and I'm proposing this as an owner of several Smiths and a couple of Rugers. I picked up a Taurus Tracker 4-inch ported barrel seven round double action revolver. I have to say it really surprised me in the quality , fit and finish, and frankly it is accurate as hell. I take it with me when I go hog hunting and load it with heavy 357 200 grain hard cast from. Buffalo Bore.  I use my Winchester 94 in 30-30 and I am well served with both. Just a thought. Lots of them in local shops here in East Tennessee. I picked up mine at Mike's Gun Shop in Morristown. Nice people good prices. Good luck.

Ed

Learned a long time ago not to give two s _ _ _ s about what others thought about brands, etc, but rather to focus on results.  

About 10 years ago I bought a Taurus 1911 (I own several model 1911's) as the price was very good.  Right out of the box, it was crazy accurate and continues to this day to be the most accurate and reliable 1911 that I own.  

I do understand that everything that they make is not top shelf, but they do produce some good pistols and revolvers if you know where to look.

• Like 1

I had a Taurus model 66 357 mag 4” a few years back that I wish  I’d kept. Had a good trigger and was super accurate! I have some Ruger 357’s now, I seem to like those better than the Smiths. Although I do have some 38 special  snubby Smiths.Also had a Taurus 605 357 snubby I really liked and wish I’d kept. It grouped really good.

Edited by jeff43
  • 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 7:06 PM, Choatecav said:

Learned a long time ago not to give two s _ _ _ s about what others thought about brands, etc, but rather to focus on results.  

Eh, I've learned to listen to those whom have gone before me on a product. I've been burned several times buying a product that didn't measure up to my expectations once I began to use it. Not just guns, but lots of things as simple as a toaster or coffee maker. 

While I'm glad to hear your Taurus 1911 has given you excellent performance, I also note they're exceptionally rare in gun shops & gun shows these days. Not sure why either?

I have 2 mdl 617, 357/38 Spl Mag, and 1 817  38 Spl, 7 shot Taurus snubbies. They are a K frame size but are 7 shooters. They are my EDC. Carry Cor Bon DPX in all of them. IMO, great revolvers.

Some people had problems with their new ones locking up after they got warm. Some of the early revolvers had problem, but the later models Taurus fixed that problem. They were built a little too tight to stat with.  I have had no problems with my 3 and I have fired thousands of rounds through them. Getting ready to take them all down and thoroughly clean them.

I would recommend them with no reservations if you want a good round gun.  All of my 3 have wonderful triggers and finish. One, the 38 Spl, is an ultra light model. Have it in my pocket as we speak. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I used to carry a S&W 19 2 1/2" and really liked it - however, the values on them got to the point where I began to worry about scratching it and otherwise affecting its condition.  Alas, it is more of a safe queen these days, but I do like to take it to the range still.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jeff H said:

I used to carry a S&W 19 2 1/2" and really liked it - however, the values on them got to the point where I began to worry about scratching it and otherwise affecting its condition.  Alas, it is more of a safe queen these days, but I do like to take it to the range still.

AGREED! I like to take it out for new shooters. Especially the cocky ones.

I'll load it up for them with 158 grain wadcutters and stand back. When they complain...I say let me try it. That's when I drop in the light 38 special and shoot. 

Turn back and say it seem ok to me.

6 hours ago, Jeff H said:

For a single action only range gun, my father in law swears vy the River Blackhawk in 6”. He says it’s the most accurate handgun he has ever fired. 

I assume you mean Ruger Blackhawk.  Yes, those are very accurate weapons.  

On 11/15/2021 at 11:14 AM, xtriggerman said:

The S&W Model 28 is nice but I all ways referr to it as "The Boat Anchor" at over 2.5 lbs on the 4", shoots soft but carry? Naw, Id pass on that. If I wanted to get spendy on a nice DA wheel gun, my vote goes for the older 686 or 586. If you want to carry it all day with less range time, the 66/19 is a sweet hart to carry.  Now if your cheap like me, I opted for an old model Taurus 669 but the 689's look nice with ribbed barrels. The triggers need a little work to bring them around to near S&W function but they shoot as well as the S&W's in general. The rear sight is what S&W SHOULD have done decades ago!  Pocketed a few C notes on a fine 357 S&W L frame clone. I did the trigger to a 8.5 lb DA pull and changed the grip. Keeper. JMO.

AxwvaMsl.jpg

agreed. the Taurus 669/689 are great. Never heard of them having issues with full magnum loads like what I'm reading about the S&W. The tracker would be a good choice for carry. 

never owned a S&W so I don't know what I'm missing. but I will 

43 minutes ago, papa61 said:

agreed. the Taurus 669/689 are great. Never heard of them having issues with full magnum loads like what I'm reading about the S&W. The tracker would be a good choice for carry. 

What you are probably reading regarding full house magnum loads in a S&W only applies to K frame models like the 13 and 19.  Stick with 158 gr loads as is intended in those models then it’s not an issue...and the issue is a bit overblown.

L frames and the great big N frame .357’s can handle anything all day long.

Rereading this thread I'd like to make a correction. I let it slide when it was written because, well Bob being Bob, I didn't want to start an argument. 🙄 But he's gone, so now I'll correct his mistake. 

S&W K-frame .357s should not be fired a lot with full magnum loads using bullets of 125 grains or lighter.   Bobsguns post was wrong. This is easy enough to research. Its all over the web. The issue is that small flat area on the bottom of the barrel stub which is required for the yoke to clear. It turns out that this is a weak spot and over time and enough full house .357 light loads it can cause excessive wear on the forcing cone and possibly cause a crack in this area of the barrel. Its not something that happens overnight. It does take time and many rounds fired. Occasional use is fine. 

Some years ago I sent a Model 19 back to S&W to correct an unrelated problem. In checking the gun S&W found excessive wear in the forcing cone. They just went ahead and  set back the barrel and recut the forcing cone under warranty at no cost to me. Its enough of an issue that S&W checks this on any K-frame .357 that comes through their shop. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, papa61 said:

Owned several Tauri, but never the 669/689. Nothing against them. I just never ran across one. I have to say that's a fine looking revolver!

On 11/14/2021 at 10:47 PM, No_0ne said:

Find a Ruger Security Six.  They're indestructible, so virtually any year and any round count will do.  The factory triggers will never be all that great, but some basic gunsmithing can improve them a lot, or so I'm told.  Mine are all factory stock ...

If you have a few extra bucks, send one off to Marc at Gemini Customs.

I have a 3" SP that he slicked up, top notch work.

My only contribution, since it doesn't appear you are seeking a particular concealable revolver, whatever you decide on, go with the 4 or 5 inch barrel.

11 hours ago, Garufa said:

To add, the currently produced model 19 has a fully supported forcing cone. You can shoot all the light bullet magnum loads out of it you want. 

From my days on the Ruger forum, unless things have changed, 125 or better magnum loads in SPs. The 110s can crack the cone.

It does bring up the argument of snub nose magnums...if you're close enough, you can set the dude on fire while poking a few holes in him.

• Like 1