Legality of Incendiary Ammunition

I was thinking about picking up some 50 BMG API rounds from SG, but quickly noticed they won't ship them to TN. Does anyone have any knowledge as to why? I did some searching, but wasn't able to find anything definitive.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Why do you need an incendiary bullet. The purpose is to start a fire.

You can legally buy a RPG, but, why?

*Looks around leans in and whispers* 

Because someone way over there needs to be set on fire! 

In all seriousness, if I could get my hands on a real deal RPG ammo or 40mm HEDP rounds, you bet your ass I’d have them. 

Why?

Why not!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

Why do you need a gun?  The purpose is kill someone.   

You can legally buy a canon, but, why? 

You sound just like all of the antis.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

Son, I'm as far from anti as you can get. Yes, I know what a gun is for. If you read the post, I never said you couldn't, I just simply asked why. Ease up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Well, for starters I'd buy a Canon to take really good pictures. I'd buy a cannon if I wanted an artillery piece. 🤪

• Like 1
On 11/14/2021 at 11:28 PM, Twin said:

I was thinking about picking up some 50 BMG API rounds from SG, but quickly noticed they won't ship them to TN. Does anyone have any knowledge as to why? I did some searching, but wasn't able to find anything definitive.

TN Code 39-17-1304

39-17-1304. Restrictions on firearm ammunition.

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess, use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence. A violation of this section constitutes a separate and distinct felony.

(b) It is an offense for any person or corporation to manufacture, sell, offer for sale, display for sale or use in this state any ammunition cartridge, metallic or otherwise, containing a bullet with a hollow-nose cavity that is filled with an explosive material and designed to detonate upon impact; provided, that this section shall not apply to any state or federal military unit or personnel for use in the performance of its duties.

(c)

(1) A violation of subsection (a) by possession of restricted firearm ammunition is a Class E felony.

(2) A violation of subsection (a) by use or attempted use of restricted firearm ammunition is a Class D felony.

(3) A violation of subsection (b) is a Class E felony.

10 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

TN Code 39-17-1304

I'm not sure 50 BMG API has a "hollow nose cavity". I suppose it depends on what they mean by that. Other ammo sites will ship API ammo to TN, but it's not the factory new stuff SG is selling...

On 11/16/2021 at 2:17 PM, Grunt67 said:

Why not? As long as he is legal, the purchase is legal & he uses it in a legal way, why not?

My guess they won't ship it due to the restrictions of haz mat shipping somehow? I can't imagine it being illegal to own in TN but I don't know one way or the other. Tracer ammo is legal, I know. 

Might want to visit TN Code Annotated & do a search on "prohibited ammo"?

1 hour ago, bobsguns said:

Why not? As long as he is legal, the purchase is legal & he uses it in a legal way, why not?

My guess they won't ship it due to the restrictions of haz mat shipping somehow? I can't imagine it being illegal to own in TN but I don't know one way or the other. Tracer ammo is legal, I know. 

Or just read my post above...

9 hours ago, Twin said:

I'm not sure 50 BMG API has a "hollow nose cavity". I suppose it depends on what they mean by that. Other ammo sites will ship API ammo to TN, but it's not the factory new stuff SG is selling...

It very possibly could be them just covering their butt.   I don't know how those rounds are made so I can't say for sure.  

Not an expert on Tennessee code or claim legal expertise but my 2 cents.

23 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

explosive material and designed to detonate upon impact

The Tennessee code expressly uses the word "Explosive".  AP and or API do not contain explosive material nor do they explode.  Incendiary by definition means to cause fire.  The projectile by nature of expansion and impact may appear to explode but not like explosive ammunition.

Several videos available expressly discuss exploding ammunition just one I know of here.

7 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Not an expert on Tennessee code or claim legal expertise but my 2 cents.

The Tennessee code expressly uses the word "Explosive".  AP and or API do not contain explosive material nor do they explode.  Incendiary by definition means to cause fire.  The projectile by nature of expansion and impact may appear to explode but not like explosive ammunition.

Several videos available expressly discuss exploding ammunition just one I know of here.

But if a company is trying to be really safe, it's not a stretch.  

33 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

But if a company is trying to be really safe, it's not a stretch.  

Not arguing that. Unfortunately for consumers some business erring on the side of caution is frustrating but understandable due to the litigious society we have morphed into.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Man, you just really need to learn to read. I never said it wasn't legal. Maybe you just like to argue. It's getting to be a habit.

1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

Man, you just really need to learn to read. I never said it wasn't legal. Maybe you just like to argue. It's getting to be a habit.

I read quite well, thank you.

Yes, I do like to debate. Feel free to ignore my posts, it won't hurt my feelings.

I also note you seem to have........................ difficulty................ writing exactly what you mean versus what you write. The "hung jury" post being a perfect example. I admit to doing that myself from time to time, writing one thing when I mean a slightly different thing, so you're not alone there. 

I adhere to the school of "mean what you say, say what you mean." That includes what I write as well. I've had too many term papers covered in red ink from a professor to not learn that lesson the hard way.   😉

And my apologies as the line about visiting the TCA wasn't meant for you but for the OP. I didn't make that clear at all on my part. Sorry.

Edited by bobsguns
2 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

I read quite well, thank you.

Yes, I do like to debate. Feel free to ignore my posts, it won't hurt my feelings.

I also note you seem to have........................ difficulty................ writing exactly what you mean versus what you write. The "hung jury" post being a perfect example. I admit to doing that myself from time to time, writing one thing when I mean a slightly different thing, so you're not alone there. 

I adhere to the school of "mean what you say, say what you mean." That includes what I write as well. I've had too many term papers covered in red ink from a professor to not learn that lesson the hard way.   😉

Thank you, consider it ignored.