Smith and Wesson Releases 10mm M&P .... HOLY COW!! FINALLY!!!!

TGO David

1 hour ago, Moped said:

My one experience with a M&P left me underwhelmed. 🥱

I hear ya. I originally bought a .45 full-size and a compact 9mm. The .45 had the worst trigger that I've ever had. I learned from that one not to trust a salesman who shows you the display model and pulls another off the shelf to sell to you. I check the trigger first. The 9mm kept ejecting the magazine on its own. Apparently, it was a design flaw in the weapon as Smith sent me a new magazine release and it still kept ejecting the magazine while resting in the holster. I do like the 10mm. I have a Glock 20 that I like to shoot although all Glocks seem to irritate the side of my trigger finger.

• Like 1

Had the same trigger issue with a .45 Compact M&P. Hated the grip to. Felt like I was holding onto a big thick broom handle.

Traded to an individual on here, with an .45acp XDs. I was much happier. Still have the little XDs. Perfect little subcompact .45 for me.

The new flat trigger S&W is using is amazing. A buddy of mine wanted me to try out a few guns with him, he had his heart set on a Shield Plus and didn't know if he wanted the PC version or the plain one. They have that new flat trigger. It was amazing. I liked it so much that I am going with a flat trigger in the custom Glock/Dagger I am building.

• Like 3

I have 2 MP9C 2.0s and a MP 9mm EZ. All of them has the flat triggers and are good enough for me.  Just purchased a Glock Mdl 19 9MM Gen 5.  Haven't shot it yet.  To me, not a lot of difference in all the plastic guns. I carry one IWB all winter.  Old hands are not partial to the 10 MM and 44 and 357 Magnums any longer.  YMMV, and that is OK with me. 

Edited by pop pop
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

I have 2 MP9C 2.0s and a MP 9mm EZ. All of them has the flat triggers and are good enough for me.  Just purchased a Glock Mdl 19 9MM Gen 5.  Haven't shot it yet.  To me, not a lot of difference in all the plastic guns. I carry one IWB all winter.  Old hands are not partial to the 10 MM and 44 and 357 Magnums any longer.  YMMV, and that is OK with me. 

I notice you've left out the brand of H&K in your comparison. Never owned one?

As for the 10mm versus the .44/.357 mags, the 10mm recoil is a good bit milder in a semi, IMO. It's especially milder in a metal-framed platform such as the 1911. Don't be shy about checking one out sometime.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, jimmylogan said:

I remember the day I went to S&W's web site and saw this! My first thought? They'll be upgrading the 9, .40, etc. to a flat trigger and optic cut. Sure enough... 🙂

Still, never owned a 10mm, so I was intrigued...

It seems like they should refer to the new version as the M&P 2.5 since it's an incremental improvement.  I guess they could also just call it a 3.0 since Glock seems to have no trouble increasing the Generation number (3, 4, 5) for minor improvements either.

Anyway, the new flat trigger is pretty nice.  Mine was pretty gritty and crunchy out of the box, even after I got the gun back from S&W for service (they had to replace the slide due to an optic screw being cross-threaded from the factory).  But, it has improved quite a bit from dry-fire alone.

I still haven't had a chance to take it out to the range.  Maybe soon.

13 minutes ago, TGO David said:

It seems like they should refer to the new version as the M&P 2.5 since it's an incremental improvement.  I guess they could also just call it a 3.0 since Glock seems to have no trouble increasing the Generation number (3, 4, 5) for minor improvements either.

Anyway, the new flat trigger is pretty nice.  Mine was pretty gritty and crunchy out of the box, even after I got the gun back from S&W for service (they had to replace the slide due to an optic screw being cross-threaded from the factory).  But, it has improved quite a bit from dry-fire alone.

I still haven't had a chance to take it out to the range.  Maybe soon.

I smoothed up my Shield with a kit from MCarbo - new springs and polish - spent a couple hours on the 'innards' and made a TREMENDOUS change!!!

As soon as our house repairs are a little more complete, I'm planning to take down my revolvers and give them a going over as well... 🙂

On 3/22/2022 at 11:08 PM, TGO David said:

It seems like they should refer to the new version as the M&P 2.5 since it's an incremental improvement.

When I saw the release of the 10mm M&P it took a lot of restraint for me to not find one to buy right away.  I'm glad I waited.  I've seen multiple reports of numerous issues that when reported to S&W they simply minimized or ignored, at least publicly.  I was hoping they would make some minor rolling production changes leading to improvement.  I was reminded of how Sig had some rolling changes to overcome a few items with the initial introduction of the P365.  I pray the bugs are being worked out by S&W.  I figured I would give the new platform a year in the market before I lay down my money for one.  It bothers me though that a cheap plastic MOS mounting plate is what's included instead of a quality machined aluminum plate.

10 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Question.  What. Would you use a 10  mm for I have never had or shot one  self defense. Hunting.   Bowling pins   What the advantage over a  9 mm or 45 

For me personally, I like the ballistics of the round.  From my line of work, I have seen too many people shot with a 9mm round and they were doing better than I would like if I had been the one who shot them in defense of my life.  Admittedly, a lot of those were shot with ball ammo rather than defensive ammo, but the size and velocity of the 10mm round makes for a potent defensive handgun.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Ok would there be a any potential problem with over penetration. Is this a high speed round. Or is it more like a slow round like 45. 

A lot of variables to that answer.  The 10mm round will be traveling a lot faster than a .45, but the type of bullet will have a lot to do with "over penetration" concerns.  Know your target and what is behind your target.

I encourage you to do your own research through reading or watching videos, but 10mm is basically a .40 on steroids.  Really, .40 is a neutered 10mm.  Conveniently, many 10mm handguns will reliably fire .40 ammo, although no manufacturer recommends this.

• Like 2