Electric Vehicles

Grunt67

8 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

We used to think it was dinosaurs.

I must have missed that theory - as far as I know we've known for ages that petroleum is produced by processes occurring due to the decomposition of ocean-based organisms, mostly microscopic.  I've never heard anybody theorize that dinosaurs had anything to do with it ...

A couple of things...

" Oil ".... There is plenty... We know where lots of it is... Fracking made the US the largest energy produced in the world until the new regieme took over.

" The future of electric vehicles "... Watch the Israelis for new battery technology... About one more iteration will make it right...   Watch the European heavy truck industry and users... If they work there, it's finally feasible...

Finally.... Don't believe the " we are out of resources hype "... We ain't... Electric vehicles are most likely your kid's future, not yours... 

All this from an old engineer crumudgeon... About 40 years in the electric power industry...

That is all...

Predicting leroy...

• Like 3
9 hours ago, No_0ne said:

I must have missed that theory - as far as I know we've known for ages that petroleum is produced by processes occurring due to the decomposition of ocean-based organisms, mostly microscopic.  I've never heard anybody theorize that dinosaurs had anything to do with it ...

You've really never heard it called "dino oil"?

http://acimg.auctivacommerce.com/imgdata/0/1/9/3/9/7/webimg/15459721.jpg

As for regular gas vs hybrid vs pure electric power trains... look at what the OEM's are spending their development money on.  There's a huge number of combustion engine design experts who've suddenly realized they're an expert in obsolete technology.  Having been there myself, that's not a super happy place. 

Edited by peejman
9 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Fossil Fuels ?

"Sinclair Motor Oil vintage sign reproduction. Rusted ...

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, BHunted said:

very close to an alternative fuel. if you crap in a tank an pump out the gas you could burn methane. drive by the landfill in Walter Hill at night and you can see it happen.

might have an aversion to the odor but hey,,,free fuel is free fuel

Edited by papa61
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, papa61 said:

very close to an alternative fuel. if you crap in a tank an pump out the gas you could burn methane. drive by the landfill in Walter Hill at night and you can see it happen.

might have an aversion to the odor but hey,,,free fuel is free fuel

They tried to implement a methane capture at the landfill here, but it proved not cost effective. 

3 hours ago, peejman said:

They tried to implement a methane capture at the landfill here, but it proved not cost effective. 

I have read of a municipality doing it at the sewage treatment plant. Used it to heat buildings. I'll have to try to find it again. It's not as simple as it sounds but it can be done. Whether cost effective I don't know.

did not find the exact article but the process is more prevalent than I imagined. Portland Oregon does it and generates 90% of the electricity the plant uses so cost effectiveness is there. maybe not from the landfill but it is feasible. 

I do remember the article I read stated that wherever this was also sold the compressed, dried, processed crap to farmers as fertilizer.

Edited by papa61

FYI a little known fact, offshore Kalifornia has more oil than the Gulf of Mexico. However the tree huggers won't let anyone drill. The U.S. should have converted or over time eliminated gasoline vehicles and went to natural gas, we have enough for 500+ years. Plus it would put lots of folks to work as natural gas has to be compressed which would require a trained attendant.

6 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

FYI a little known fact, offshore Kalifornia has more oil than the Gulf of Mexico. However the tree huggers won't let anyone drill. The U.S. should have converted or over time eliminated gasoline vehicles and went to natural gas, we have enough for 500+ years. Plus it would put lots of folks to work as natural gas has to be compressed which would require a trained attendant.

we're either drilling for oil or digging for lithium. both in Cali  🙂 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, peejman said:

1 hour ago, papa61 said:

I have read of a municipality doing it at the sewage treatment plant. Used it to heat buildings. I'll have to try to find it again. It's not as simple as it sounds but it can be done. Whether cost effective I don't know.

did not find the exact article but the process is more prevalent than I imagined. Portland Oregon does it and generates 90% of the electricity the plant uses so cost effectiveness is there. maybe not from the landfill but it is feasible. 

I do remember the article I read stated that wherever this was also sold the compressed, dried, processed crap to farmers as fertilizer.

According to the internet, the solution is simple - just run hoses up cow's butts and use the methane generated ...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.-Herop0H56J-PWazzBRkgAHaHL%26pid%3DApi&f=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.zyF7_BuoxDrY6FBnny3bhQHaFV%26pid%3DApi&f=1

• Haha 3
15 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Is crude oil still being actively produced by the planet?

If it's produced by oceanic processes, which seems to be the most likely explanation, then sure.  It is possible that oceans from eons ago had either more or less biologic activity which could affect the rate of production, but there's no reason why those processes aren't continuing today, albeit at possibly a different rate.  It's also possible that the relative positions of the continental land masses have affected production rates, as it seems that most of the biologic activity which ultimately results in petroleum deposits occurs at or near shorelines, thus movement of continental plates can have a role in determining how much and how fast oil deposits are laid down. While there's no reason why current conditions planet wide should have stopped petroleum formation, it is possible that previous events in earth's geologic history made production more favorable than today, it's also possible that we may be living in a "golden age" of oil formation.  Unfortunately the time it takes for oceanic silt deposits to transform into usable oil reserves means that we probably wouldn't recognize that favorability for a very long time, if ever ...

14 hours ago, No_0ne said:

According to the internet, the solution is simple - just run hoses up cow's butts and use the methane generated ...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.-Herop0H56J-PWazzBRkgAHaHL%26pid%3DApi&f=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.zyF7_BuoxDrY6FBnny3bhQHaFV%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Methane recovery at dairy farms is quite common. Much more cost effective since they're in a confined area. 

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Let me give yall something else to chew over!! You might want to see what the future might be for electric vehicles!!  Research it!! 

Let me save you some of the research. Bioplastic is made with Soy and sugar and is being used to be the coating on the electric wire harnesses in automobiles and trucks and is a favorite meal for mice, rats, and other rodents and several car companies including all Toyotas have been ordered to recall 1000's of cars with rodent damage and are required to fix them under warranty. Bad part is the American auto makers began using this same product on their vehicles. Just imagine the dinner table all electric cars will be!!!

bioplastics

10 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

"chew over" I see what you did there! 🙂 To be fair, that is in all vehicles.

I can see the horror movie story line now..."In a world over-run with mutant rats, no one can escape without a magneto..."

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, papa61 said:

"chew over" I see what you did there! 🙂 To be fair, that is in all vehicles.

I can see the horror movie story line now..."In a world over-run with mutant rats, no one can escape without a magneto..."

I knew it was in all vehicles and has been for years but it is now beginning to show up more and more and the damage has forced Toyota and a few other companies to start having to repair cars with it under warranty. I don't know about a movie but once it gets in the news I wonder how people will react to it??

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a Chevy bolt loaner - I was impressed with it. For local trips where range isn't a concern, I think it could make a lot of sense.

I've also had a ride in a friend's Tesla Model S Plaid. 0-60 in less than 2 seconds. Most G force I've ever felt (moreso even than sport bikes). Most expensive car I've ever ridden in too. Super fun. Completely absurd price.

From an environmental perspective, I've got a lot of question about the lifecycle  (ie disposal) cost and process for the batteries for the hybrids and electric cars.

From a frugal old guy perspective, I've considered buying a uses Nissan Leaf for <10K for local trips and getting rid of 85% of my fuel bill. (The electricity isn't free, but it's a lot cheaper than paying several $/gallon of gasoline.)

I'm a little behind on my reading but I just finished an article from a couple of months ago in MotorTrend where they took a couple of Rivian R1Ts coast to coast on the Trans America Trail. If they can take them all the way across the country off-road and still find enough charging spots, I think an EV will suffice for most other trips. Sure it will take a little more planning of charging stops than driving 'til the fuel light comes on and stopping at the next exit, but within a few more years even that extra planning will be a thing of the past. It kind of already is with apps like Tesla's trip planner.

Very cool truck. Not so cool price tag, but that will change too.

• Like 1