Rapper Young Dolph shot and killed in Memphis, law enforcement sources confirm (Happening Now)

The Legion

https://www.fox13memphis.com/

This happened around 13:00hr and police are on the scene at this time.  Live coverage from Fox 13 available.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Three independent law enforcement sources confirmed to FOX13 that rapper Young Dolph was shot and killed in Memphis Wednesday afternoon.

Maurice Hill, the owner of the shop where the shooting happened, Makeda’s Butter Cookies, told FOX13 his employees said Young Dolph, 36, walked into the store to buy cookies. Someone then drove up and then shot and killed him around 1 p.m. on Wednesday at the bakery in South Memphis.

Yound Dolph’s Lamborghini sat in the parking lot of the bakery when FOX13 crews arrived.

The rapper, whose real name is Adolph Robert Thornton, Jr. is well known in the Memphis community.

In 2016, he released his debut studio album, King of Memphis.

As FOX13 crews reported from the scene, a massive crowd gathered around, some people laying on the ground in tears.

Young Dolph is well known for handing out turkeys around Thanksgiving in Memphis through the Memphis Athletic Ministries charity, speaking to school children and donating money to his former high school Hamilton High School.

No information about the shooter has been released by police at this point.

Edited by The Legion

I never heard of the guy. But apparently he was both famous and popular. Seems he was one of those celebrities who remembered his roots and gave back to the community. It seems that we have lost an upstanding citizen. 

At least 4 local TV stations have  interrupted their programming to cover this live. Traffic is snarled in the whole area including the interstate as crowds are pouring in to see what happened. 

Ok, the guy was famous and well liked, but really all this for a singer? 

My wife and I got pedicures on Friday in mid town. She insisted that we stop by Makedas for cookies. This is going to sound f*cked up, but I’m from the hood and I try to avoid North Memphis, South Memphis, Orange Mound and especially Frayser at all cost. I don’t even visit friends and relatives in those areas.  That being said she wanted those cookies, so I bit the bullet and drove over there. Seems the wife gets a rush out of going to known shady neighborhoods to try the food, because she has me. I’m not a fan of this line of thinking. 

With the exception of the old style school cafeteria cookies everything else is overrated, and not worth the risk of being near Airways and Ketchum. Insomnia Cookies are much better. 

I’ve heard of Dolph, but I’ve never heard his music. I haven’t heard of the circumstances surrounding his demise, but you don’t have to be doing anything wrong to get shot in Memphis. You’re playing the life lottery every time you walk out of your door. A situation not unique to Memphis.

I live in S.E. Shelby and the SCSD is highly visible and also discreet, so I prefer to stay on the eastern side of the county. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 7
47 minutes ago, Moped said:

One used a handgun.  The other was using a Draco.  They got into a light colored Mercedes and fled the scene. That doesn't sound like a couple of hoods or gangbangers. 

You might be surprised.  The Memphis gangbangers have upgraded their arsenals in the last couple of years.

• Like 1