Flue Shot

pop pop

Because of all the flue talk, in our area, I went and took a flue shot this morning. I don't want to be sick during the holidays if I can prevent it. I seem to get everything I get close to and we got a lot of family coming in for the holidays. Three of my extended family have colds, at present, so I decide to err on the safe side if possible. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

I get one every year. It's saved my bacon.prior to that, every year, in bed with the flu, couldn't get up, or feed myself. Not since.

I was just the opposite, got sick as a dog every year after the shot while in the Navy. Haven't had the shot, nor the flu since I retired in '83. 

• Like 3

First flu shot I got was in '73 or '74 while in college, got the worst case of flu ever.  I know they have changed how the flu shot is made now, but I've never had any adverse reactions to just the flu shot after that first one.  I did pass on the flu shot for several years tho.

Last year I got the flu, shingles and pneumonia shots ALL at the same time.  Can strongly recommend DO NOT DO THAT.  Felt like crap for a long weekend.  

12 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

First flu shot I got was in '73 or '74 while in college, got the worst case of flu ever.  I know they have changed how the flu shot is made now, but I've never had any adverse reactions to just the flu shot after that first one.  I did pass on the flu shot for several years tho.

Last year I got the flu, shingles and pneumonia shots ALL at the same time.  Can strongly recommend DO NOT DO THAT.  Felt like crap for a long weekend.  

LOL, that probably wasn't a good idea. I got my second shingles shot ( they now require 2 , couple of months apart). Shoulder was sore 2 days, other that , no problem. Think part of that was the nurse giving the shot. Needle hurt going in. Usually don't.

All my shots are VA. They're free, so......

32 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

LOL, that probably wasn't a good idea. I got my second shingles shot ( they now require 2 , couple of months apart). Shoulder was sore 2 days, other that , no problem. Think part of that was the nurse giving the shot. Needle hurt going in. Usually don't.

All my shots are VA. They're free, so......

I got my covid shots at the VA because that's the only place I could do so at the time, but I really dont like how Im treated at my VA here in Nashville. They left a bad impression on me when I first went there in the 90's and that low opinion has not changed.  Probably mirrors my opinion of the VA in general.  The bureaucracy seems to spend more time and money fighting veterans than serving them. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Defender said:

I got my covid shots at the VA because that's the only place I could do so at the time, but I really dont like how Im treated at my VA here in Nashville. They left a bad impression on me when I first went there in the 90's and that low opinion has not changed.  Probably mirrors my opinion of the VA in general.  The bureaucracy seems to spend more time and money fighting veterans than serving them. 

Understand. I stay as far from the Nashville VA as possible. I use the one in Murfreesboro. Compared to Nashville, not too bad. Having said that, the only reason I go anywhere a VA is to get my meds free, couldn't afford them other wise. I've had bad experiences at both.

Hope things improve, Brother.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

Got my flu shot the other day to no fanfare.  No noticeable side effects.

That said, everyones' immune systems are kind of trashed right now.  It's kind of like when you send a kid to kindergarten and everyone who's previously been healthy spends the next year sick every other week.  A lot of people have been doing a lot less over the last year and a half.  It will be unsurprising to see traditional vaccines and colds and such knock some people off level for a bit.

I used to be one of those who got a bad case of flu if I took the shot. I refused them for many years. But when I got so sick back in 2019 and was then diagnosed with COPD,  I took one just as sort of a test due to my Doctors very strong recommendation. No problem at all and I've taken one every year since. Got my latest just last week. All is good.  👍

After getting a bad case of flu about 25 years ago I started getting the shot every year. Never had a reaction other than a sore arm for a day or so and have never caught the flu again. May be luck on both cases but I'll take it.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

10 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Never had a reaction other than a sore arm for a day or so and have never caught the flu again. May be luck on both cases but I'll take it.

Same here. I remember back in the 70's people would react to the weakened live virus that they used, but modern vaccines don't use live virus anymore. One might get a variety of influenza that isn't covered by the vaccine, but that could happen with or without the shot. It seems like great insurance to me.

• Like 3