Opening morning report

Sent this to my son early this morning. He was supposed to join me today but his schedule wouldn’t allow. I tend to get sarcastic when I haven’t gotten enough sleep and things aren’t going well. 

Opening morning report:

Off work 11:00pm previous night. 

In bed by midnight. 

Up at 4:00am. 

Feeling of approximately negative-6 hours of sleep. 

Left house approximately 3.6 months later. 

Drove to hunting area. 

Parked and walked remaining distance to stand.

Temperature 30 degrees. 

Wind blowing out of the N, S,E,W,NW,NE,SW,SE. 

Approximate wind speed 751.395 MPH.

Next objective: Drink coffee. 

Saw a couple bucks about two weeks ago while I was up here working, but I’ve only seen 4 does today. Trying to hang out til afternoon but this wind is aggravating. 
Anyone had any luck so far?

Edited by res308
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My kid shot an 8 pointer before I could even get in my stand this morning. See the picture thread at the top of this page.

Just went and looked at that. Outstanding! Proud young man. That’s a dern good looking rifle too. What is that?

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Surely somebody here bagged one this morning.

I forgot a couple straps in the woods yesterday and went out to get them this morning. Hunting public land so made sure nobody was hunting the area before I went in to get them. Found both of them, one in each spot I’d hunted the  previous two days. One was still up in a tree where I’d had my lock on stand. So since I had to go up and get it I hunted for a couple hours while I was there. Didn’t see anything but heard a couple shots on the other side of the field. Sounded like center fire ( really close together too). Hope not since it’s center fire isn’t allowed on that property. Anyway, it felt good to sit there for the short time, I have an even to go to with my wife this evening so couldn’t hunt any more than I did. I’m hoping to get out tomorrow and may drive a couple hours east so I can use my rifle and leave the CVA at the house. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I forgot a couple straps in the woods yesterday and went out to get them this morning. Hunting public land so made sure nobody was hunting the area before I went in to get them. Found both of them, one in each spot I’d hunted the  previous two days. One was still up in a tree where I’d had my lock on stand. So since I had to go up and get it I hunted for a couple hours while I was there. Didn’t see anything but heard a couple shots on the other side of the field. Sounded like center fire ( really close together too). Hope not since it’s center fire isn’t allowed on that property. Anyway, it felt good to sit there for the short time, I have an even to go to with my wife this evening so couldn’t hunt any more than I did. I’m hoping to get out tomorrow and may drive a couple hours east so I can use my rifle and leave the CVA at the house. 

Check the weather my friend. Tomorrow doesn’t look real promising to me.

• Like 1

Saw several does and a couple of baby spikes, along with a flock of turkeys. I spent the entire day in the stand and didn’t see one shooter buck. Wife wondered why I didn’t take some does. I told her if you’re like me and NOT an expert hunter the best chance for a buck is early season. I’d like to get a buck or two before I start taking does. 
Going to try again tomorrow morning Lord willing. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I killed one during MZ but, haven't seen any shooters since. No rut action at all this time. Checked my cams the other day and no bucks at all. Saw one spike about daylight opening morning of gun season, and 6 does. Stayed till a little after 11:00. 

Edited by Quavodus