FN 509 LS Edge

bobsguns

I might've been the last person in the world to be aware of this model. I'm a FN fan & own multiple of their guns, both long & pistols. Very accurate, which is my measuring stick.

17rd mags on the LS Edge model along with a OEM mag well. GB shows normal price around the $1299 mark.聽

Comparing/contrasting that is one of mine, the H&K VP9L. 20rd mags come with certain SKU numbers, which is what I've gotten. Capacity IS one's friend.聽聽馃槈

For many people, FN isn't a brand that immediately jumps to mind when thinking about a handgun or a carry gun. Much like CZ, their quality level is much higher than their price level, IMO.聽

If anyone has shot one, I'd be interested in hearing about its trigger pull.

I'm including both model pics for those whom may not know of them.

FN 509 LS Edge.jpg

VP9L.jpg

I've not seen that model, looks interesting. Looking at the grip I'd say I'd still prefer the VP9 style as the 509 style while will work for me fall well behind the VP9 type.聽

I also prefer the VP9 trigger over the 509 but that one does look interesting....聽

I have no clue about this "FN Trigger" talk.聽 I own a FNS 9mm and its trigger is great!聽 Better than another other pistol I own, sans the LC9S Pro, that I have.聽 That includes a Glock 17 with a 4 .4lb trigger.聽 Maybe the later FNs are much worse.聽

I don't know.聽 I love the size and feel of the FNS.聽聽It's far superior to the M&P that everyone seems to rave about and that I truly hated enough to trade away for a Springfield XDs.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Moped said:

I have no clue about this "FN Trigger" talk.聽 I own a FNS 9mm and its trigger is great!聽 Better than another other pistol I own, sans the LC9S Pro, that I have.聽 That includes a Glock 17 with a 4 .4lb trigger.聽 Maybe the later FNs are much worse.聽

Rare is the gun model that has a worse trigger on the later generations, IMO.

I've got a FNX-9 & the trigger is nothing to write home about it. The reason I've kept it is its accuracy.聽

Now, the newer H&K VP9 models such as the SK & long slide all have hugely improved triggers over what they were initially released with. Light years better than Glock & M&P both. But triggers are also subjective. Ken has some super nice 1911s & he may be a wee bit spoiled from the them? But he is like E.F. Hutton: when he speaks, we listen.聽 聽馃槈

• Like 1

The Edge I handled had a pull every bit of 5#. 聽

While not awful by 509 standards, I think it鈥檚 unacceptable for a so-called competition model, especially one that costs this much. 聽

I suppose it鈥檚 possible other examples might have a lighter trigger than the one I played with, but I鈥檝e never had a FNS or a 509 with anything like a good trigger (VP9, Canik TP9 and PPQ). 聽

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ken_mays said:

The Edge I handled had a pull every bit of 5#. 聽

While not awful by 509 standards, I think it鈥檚 unacceptable for a so-called competition model, especially one that costs this much. 聽

I suppose it鈥檚 possible other examples might have a lighter trigger than the one I played with, but I鈥檝e never had a FNS or a 509 with anything like a good trigger (VP9, Canik TP9 and PPQ). 聽

Yeah, triggers are certainly not FN's strong point. I would imagine the gun is too new for any springs to be out there to help the trigger pull? Nor is FN known for their aftermarket options either. It's a shame because they make damn good guns. I'll nose around with Wolff Gunsprings, see what they might have.

Thanks for chiming in! You always have good advice as well as no-BS reviews on guns. How's your Hi-Point doing?聽 聽馃槅

Apex has a trigger enhancement kit for the 509 and FNS for only $150 that will reduce the trigger to 5.5 lbs.聽聽 馃ぃ

MCarbo sells a spring kit that is advertised to take the weight from the factory 7.25#聽 down to 4.25# or so.聽聽 That's only $20 and it's worth a shot IMO.

https://www.mcarbo.com/fn-509-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

My Hi Point collection is doing fine, thanks for asking!聽

Edited by ken_mays
5 hours ago, ken_mays said:

My Hi Point collection is doing fine, thanks for asking!聽

Yeah, I saw the McCarbo kit, thought it might be worthwhile.

I've got to go get a .22 1911 next month in Nashville & (hopefully) also get the new Hi-Power. I'll fingerbang the 509 LS, see how the trigger is.

Am I wrong in remembering the original VP9 triggers were awful? Or am I thinking of something else?聽

5 hours ago, ken_mays said:

The VP9 has always had a good trigger as far as I'm aware.

Ok, I could be thinking of the M&P or something else then.聽

I know the triggers on both my VP9 LS & SK are very nice for a striker fired gun.聽

Have you bought anything lately?

Interestingly enough, last purchase was a FN 509 Tactical.聽 It was a used range gun from Shoot Point Blank and I'd hope the use had lightened the trigger pull a bit, but it still clocks in at 6.5#.聽聽 I have a spare striker spring I'm planning on clipping a few coils off to see if that helps.

7 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

Interestingly enough, last purchase was a FN 509 Tactical.聽 It was a used range gun from Shoot Point Blank and I'd hope the use had lightened the trigger pull a bit, but it still clocks in at 6.5#.聽聽 I have a spare striker spring I'm planning on clipping a few coils off to see if that helps.

I never have understood why FN totally ignores the shooter's desire to have a nice, low poundage trigger pull. I'm sure they have some sort of bureaucratic response to that.聽

I have a local dealer want to trade with me out an older Smith. He offered me a choice of either the FN or the HK you mention and pictured above.聽

Of the 2, I would have to take the HK. I'm renowned for not have a good "trigger sense" but the difference on these was very noticable, even to me. The HK not only felt good in my hand, the trigger was similar to my Caniks. so that would rule out the FN for me.

I own an older FN I got from a member in a trade, but it has a much better trigger, to me, than the new Ledge model.

I did not trade on either of them though. I felt I was getting a very bad deal for my pistol on either.

Edited by hipower
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I mentioned it before but I fondled a FN 509 a few months ago and it had the worst trigger I've ever felt.聽

Sad, isn't it?

A durable, well-built, wonderfully accurate & perfectly reliable pistol yet has a $50-gun-trigger feel to it.聽馃槶

On 11/27/2021 at 6:59 PM, bobsguns said:

Wow, I had to look that one up as I didn't recognize that model. That's not too terribly common, I can see you wanting a bit more for that, IMO.聽

For those who didn't know like I did, it's a blued 9mm revolver.聽

LOL! Yeah, I could have made it easier, but I was in a hurry and just threw out the model number.

I bought it years ago. My late brother-in-law was working in a lgs and called me up one Saturday afternoon. Said he knew i like strange stuff, and that I should get there asap. Wouldn't tell me anything more than that it was a Smith 9.

So I truck on down and he shows me this nice looking revolver. I was a bit disappointed, and asked where was the one he thought I'd want?

He told me to look closer. I actually had to look at it for several minutes before I realized what it was. Laughing, I said I didn't know S&W did a wheelgun in 9mm.

Short version is that I asked how much and took it home with me. Shot it a few times since, but not more than 50-100 rounds at most.聽

Been offered a few lowball amounts from people, but not near high enough for me to part with it. Not really wanting to...but never know. Maybe sometime.

I actually have another S&W he wants, but it's on my very short list of not selling.

Got a Performance Center 945 Compact. Blued. It's a hoss!

Edited by hipower
On 11/30/2021 at 4:53 AM, mamcdonald said:

I don't know if I just got a diamond or you guys got the rough but my 509c's trigger isn't bad at all. It's obviously not a competition gun but for a carry piece its pretty good, averages about 4.75lbs stock on my pull gauge.

It's a slightly different design than the Long Slide model.

I got to finger bang a Long Slide yesterday & was wholly underwhelmed with it. It was easily 5+ lbs trigger pull, maybe over 6lbs? Aside from that, it's a beautifully designed, built & balancing gun, IMO. I would've bought it yesterday except for its trigger.聽