Gifting A Handgun to Someone 18-20

Treyden

1 hour ago, bobsguns said:

Sure it is. Nothing illegal about it & it's no one's business where it came from. 

RandyB nailed it.

For the OP, that's terrible advice. Any decent investigator would find this thread and be able to easily show the actual intent of a straw purchase.

For anyone else reading this, the advice is still promoting an illegal act.  It's only going to work if you and your parents are all going to hold up to police questioning and are all willing to lie under oath and commit perjury to protect you and themselves from a felony strawman gun charge, albeit in the very unlikely chance it would come to that.

Or take the much BETTER advice above and be fully legal in one of 3 ways:

1. Wait until you're 21
  2. Buy a handgun from a private party
  3. Your parents buy it with THEIR money (not a dime comes from you) and they either gift it to you or allow you to borrow THEIR gun.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
On 12/1/2021 at 6:52 PM, kwe45919 said:

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advise.

As a parent myself, if my child asks for something for Christmas, I buy it and then I gift it to them. It's what you do especially during the Christmas holiday. 

If you ask your parents for a product, any specific product of your choosing for Christmas and they purchase and gift it to you, then there isn't an issue. 

JMO...

^^This^^

My non-lawyer/professional advise, not that you're asking....don't broadcast this kind of stuff on a public forum.  Just catch Mom/Dad at supper and ask'em.  Easy peezy

On 12/16/2021 at 9:18 AM, Capbyrd said:

No it is not.   This isn't something like a potential traffic ticket.  This is concerning a felony that could land you in prison for 20 years.  If you want to take chances with that kind of thing, fine.  But do not recommend it to someone else, especially a young man asking for advice on how to stay on the right side of the law. 

This isn't about what law should be.  This is about what the current law is and how to avoid running afoul.  

No this isnt like a potential traffic ticket. This is also NOT I repeat NOT concerning a felony that can land you in prison either. First the op said he is 20yrs old and looking at getting his first hbandgun.       There are multiple replies telling him no way because he only 20. Being 20 or 12 has no bearing on his ability to own a handgun. The op also stated he is aware that he can purchase a handgun from   a private seller even though he is not 21. Which is in no way shape or form shady or illegal.  2nd part he asked about his parents purchasing a handgun for him from an ffl holder and then gifting it to him. He gets replies ranging from the correct response YES his parents could purchase through a ffl and give him the handgun. He also gets responses suggesting him and his parents were committing some kind of criminal act and they better have the stories straigjt dor when they are questioned by the man. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:08 PM, Johnny reb said:

No this isnt like a potential traffic ticket. This is also NOT I repeat NOT concerning a felony that can land you in prison either. First the op said he is 20yrs old and looking at getting his first hbandgun.       There are multiple replies telling him no way because he only 20. Being 20 or 12 has no bearing on his ability to own a handgun. The op also stated he is aware that he can purchase a handgun from   a private seller even though he is not 21. Which is in no way shape or form shady or illegal.  2nd part he asked about his parents purchasing a handgun for him from an ffl holder and then gifting it to him. He gets replies ranging from the correct response YES his parents could purchase through a ffl and give him the handgun. He also gets responses suggesting him and his parents were committing some kind of criminal act and they better have the stories straigjt dor when they are questioned by the man. 

You misunderstood my post.