Diamondback Sidekick.....

Handsome Rob

Anyone seen this new budget .22 revolver? I'd literally never heard of it until I got an email drop today. 

https://diamondbackfirearms.com/sidekick/

Looks like a bit of a step up from the Wrangler & light years ahead of the Heritage. SA/DA .22LR/WMR swing out, 9 shot cylinder for $320 MSRP

I can see this being popular. 

Edited by Handsome Rob
16 hours ago, gary_boom said:

I asked myself what are Ruger Single Sixes selling for? A quick look on gunbroker looks like they are over $500. Didn’t they use to sell for $200 to $250 ?

MSRP on a Single Six (convertible) is $759 and the MSRP on the Ruger Wrangler is $269.

1 hour ago, billmeek said:

MSRP on a Single Six (convertible) is $759 and the MSRP on the Ruger Wrangler is $269.

The Wrangler is overpriced, IMO. Should be $50, IMO. 

I have a Diamondback AR pistol & am happy with it. I looked at the review pics & the trigger seems awfully short for travel with a DA revolver, IMO. Perhaps the hammer has a short travel as well, I don't know. 

I like the idea of the 9-shot as well. 

Edited by bobsguns

Article reads like this will be a good buy. Had I waited one week, I'd be after this one! I just received the Barkeep and Magnum cyclinder I ordered for it, For what I have in it, the Barkeep seems like it will be good, but I sure would like the double action of the Diamonback instead.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, jhc77 said:

Ain't seen that one yet. Friend of mine is dead set on the Wrangler for some reason. Might be he's not into 22mag. Once I pay off my Dagger I might look into one of these. Dad has a small stash of magnum laying around.

Yep, me too! Been a fan of the 22Magnum for a bunch of years. lol! Started buying the ammo more frequently when the PMR 30 came out. Another safe queen for the most part, but fun range gun. I'd like to use it on the crows around here, but neighbors and Metro PD might frown on it. 

Actually since my Dad showed up with a S&W one weekend. He'd gotten it in a trade at the local swap meet area in Algood(remember those days?) Said he just wanted to sell it to make a few bucks.

When I expressed interest, he tried to give it to me. I had to refuse. It was during his battle with lung cance and he was scrounging every penny he could. 

I waited a week and called up. Told him my father-in-law wanted to buy. He set a price and I paid on the next trip up. I'm sure he knew what was going on, but both of us too stubborn for our own good. Rather nice pistol. A bit fussy about being kept clean though. Cyclinder tends to drag after about a dozen rounds. Sent it to Smith with not much positive result. Still does it. Probably one of the last I would ever sell.

Edited by hipower
5 hours ago, hipower said:

Rather nice pistol. A bit fussy about being kept clean though. Cyclinder tends to drag after about a dozen rounds. Sent it to Smith with not much positive result. Still does it. 

Have you used a copper wire brush on the front of the cylinder? It doesn't take but a little bit of crud to close the gap between the forcing cone & cylinder. 

On my SS revolvers, I use the wire brush on my bench grinder to remove all the black residue. Of course I do this only on steel cylinders & never on alloy ones. 

2 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Have you used a copper wire brush on the front of the cylinder? It doesn't take but a little bit of crud to close the gap between the forcing cone & cylinder. 

On my SS revolvers, I use the wire brush on my bench grinder to remove all the black residue. Of course I do this only on steel cylinders & never on alloy ones. 

I do similar maintenance on it ever time it's shot. It seems to drag a bit at the back of the cyclinder more than anywhere else. But as long as I keep it clean...all is good.

7 hours ago, hipower said:

Would have to dig it out, but as I remember...no. Just super tight clearances, and the powder residue gums it quickly.

Hmmmmmm.

I forget what the part is called, but there's a collar on the ejection rod that aligns/spaces the cylinder between the forcing cone & the shield plate. If there's enough of a gap between the forcing cone & cylinder, a slightly smaller collar could be used, allowing a .001 or so to be added on the back end for loosening the fit?

Obviously I'm neither a gunsmith nor machinist, but I can swap parts out......................   😝 

• 3 months later...