A reminder to stay vigilant

Spots

All pictures and the event transpired 2.5 years ago in 2019. No more investigation so i can discuss facts openly. 

So I have been gone from here a few years with life in general keeping me busy.  In April of 2019 i had an ad for a Glock 36 posted on Armslist. The ad was answered by text message on Easter Sunday and I arranged to meet the buyer the next evening in Knoxville. Mistake #1 I didnt insist on meeting in a familiar, safe area. I left work and got to the Little Ceasars, agreed upon meeting place, at the meet time. Mistake #2 I went alone without someone to watch my back. Two young, black men showed up and we discussed the gun. They talked through the passenger window and I stayed in the truck with the windows down. I had a loaded firearm concealed out of sight. Subject A went to "get the money" and started the car. Subject B then grabbed the unloaded glock from my seat and ran to the car. Im not wired to let someone drive off with my stuff but I did maintain enough cognitive thought to know that shooting an individual in the back running away from me in a parking lot would end with me in prison. So instead i used the truck to try and stop them.  I hit then the first time in the passenger side and caved in their door. I then chased them onto Hembree street where the passenger took a few pot shots out the window striking the truck at least twice. I then struck them in the driver rear quarter pabel at approximately 80 mph when they slowed and tried to turn left at MLK. I went through there car, blew the intersection and through an abandoned block building on the other side of the street. At the end of the day they both went to prison for multiple felonies, I recovered the gun that was stolen. I also totalled two vehicles, my 2003 Toyota Tundra and their 2015 Chevy Malibu. I ended up in the ER for my wreck injuries. I crushed my sinuses, broke most of the bones in my face, split my forehead, broke my C7 vertebrae and generally got messed up. So word to the wise. Stay vigilant, meet somewhere familiar, take people with you, and if your gut says dont do it, then listen

Screenshot_20211122-183345_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-183350_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-183358_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-183408_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-183414_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211122-183418_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 8

Your a Damn tough man! Glad you made it through it alive and got your gun back.You really got to watch out for shady people you deal with on selling or buying anything and always be armed! I’ve been lucky I guess, most of the people dealt with have been good people.👍

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

Glad you lived to tell about it. Welcome back! You still doing blacksmith projects ?

Time to time. I still do a bit of blacksmithing and wood working. Also climb and  cut hazard residential trees as a side gig, and lots of gardening and homestead stuff. Enough to stay busy lol. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I've missed your posts over the past few years and have wondered where you got off to.  Heck of a story, glad you made it out relatively alright. 

Adopted two kids while ive been gone. Proud daddy to a now 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. We got our son when he was 22 months, and our daughter when she was 5 days old. 

20211023_163620.jpg

20211121_092022.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

I adopted 3 from foster care. It's a hell of a thing. People think they know, but they don't. 

Thats how we did it. For Carson it was 2 years on constant worry with his meth addict mommy constantly in and out of the picture and dcs dropping the ball repeatedly on paperwork and court dates, etc.  Elizabeth case was easy.  She was positive for amphetamines from birth and her mom signed over her parental rights asap to avoid child support and charges

• Love 1
  • Moderators

Geez what a crazy event. Glad you survived. I'm available as a wingman if you need one when your selling another gun. 

Great looking kids. Congratulations and thanks for stepping up to the most important job and man can have. Being a dad! 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yikes, man, you look rough! I imagine that was a fair amount of pain along that way. Glad you made it, and you can be a father to some sharp looking kids.

Would you fight again, but differently? Or skip it? I don't know what I'd do, I feel the same as you do (or did) about someone getting over on me, or stealing from me...

Hope the rest of this jumbled up mess we call "life" goes a little less ... (-) exciting for you.

Glad you healed up and thank you for adopting your kids.  America needs kids being raised up right and you changed the path they probably would have taken.  

When selling something to strangers, I usually meet at a local police precinct parking lot (even guns).  It's not foolproof, but cuts down on shenanigans.  Most people I'm dealing with say "that's a great idea."  One fellow said he wouldn't meet there and that told me all I needed to know.  

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Spots said:

So word to the wise. Stay vigilant, meet somewhere familiar, take people with you, and if your gut says dont do it, then listen

So with two years to think it over, would you have still chased the thieves, knowing what kind of damage would result?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Darrell said:

So with two years to think it over, would you have still chased the thieves, knowing what kind of damage would result?

Not the same way. If everything else was the same up to the moment they grabbed the gun, I would have chased them to get a tag number and called the police enroute. But hindsight is always 20-20 and im betting they never forget it, because i know i wont

• Like 2

This is a rather stupid observation, but from the picks, that bumper sure looks like a Ford F150. But I guess a couple hits like you gave it will change the looks of about anything.

As with others. so glad you are safe and back. And a big God Bless for your adoptions. You are a good man.

• Moderators

I debated on commentating, but since you don't seem to be afraid of confrontation I figured I"d go for it.

Was it worth it?

I know it is extremely easy to armchair quarterback this one, but a Glock is like $500. I'm doubtful that these to individuals had quality insurance, so I'm guessing your insurance was on the hook for two vehicles + medical expenses for possibly all involved. If you at any point had to hire lawyer, of course you'd eclipse $500 in an instant. Armchair quarterbacking because I myself know it would not be easy to watch someone literally snatch and grab something of mine, but at the end of the day I've got a family to get home to and take care of. But again, I'm not sure how I'd actually react if I were in a similar situation. Seems a good old call to 9-1-1 would have made your day much better.

I would be interested to hear more about whether or not you had to go to court over the use of your vehicle as a deadly weapon. I'm not saying it was the best course of action overall but in the circumstances do think any charges against you would be unwarranted. Of course, I'm sure you had to go to court as a witness when those two stood trial (if they have yet).

Tell us more.

tell me more the office GIF