A reminder to stay vigilant

Spots

28 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I debated on commentating, but since you don't seem to be afraid of confrontation I figured I"d go for it.

Was it worth it?

I know it is extremely easy to armchair quarterback this one, but a Glock is like $500. I'm doubtful that these to individuals had quality insurance, so I'm guessing your insurance was on the hook for two vehicles + medical expenses for possibly all involved. If you at any point had to hire lawyer, of course you'd eclipse $500 in an instant. Armchair quarterbacking because I myself know it would not be easy to watch someone literally snatch and grab something of mine, but at the end of the day I've got a family to get home to and take care of. But again, I'm not sure how I'd actually react if I were in a similar situation. Seems a good old call to 9-1-1 would have made your day much better.

I would be interested to hear more about whether or not you had to go to court over the use of your vehicle as a deadly weapon. I'm not saying it was the best course of action overall but in the circumstances do think any charges against you would be unwarranted. Of course, I'm sure you had to go to court as a witness when those two stood trial (if they have yet).

Tell us more.

tell me more the office GIF

Worth it? From a monetary stand point absolutely not. My health insurance covered my medical bills. No idea who covered theres but I never heard anything about it. My car insurance didnt pay out anything, I had liability only and since I intentionally used the truck as a battering ram it did not rule it is an accident. Their car insurance company sent me and my insurance a letter demanding payment, but I simply sent them the police report and they magically decided I wasnt liable for any damages due to the wreck happening while their client was in commission of a crime.  I did not get charged with any crimes, using the vehicle as a blocking maneuver the first time was not seen as criminal since they had just committed armed robbery, and ramming them the second time was justified self defense since they had fired shots at me. I did go to court as state witness multiple times and they are both currently serving 10 years each for a list of felonies and misdemeanors for which they were found guilty. 

At the end of the day, the decision to try and stop them was rash and impulsive and cost me far more than the $500 Glock. But its hard for me to say it wasnt worth it totally because those two scumbags will never forget that, and at least for the next few years they will be in prison instead of free to continue ripping people off.  

At the end of the day, if i could do it over I would just call 911 and at the most, try to keep up to get a tag number. But events like this happen in seconds and at least partly because the Marine Corps has engrained me to do something, anything when the #### hits the fan I reacted purely on instinct and did what I thought was best at the time. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I debated on commentating, but since you don't seem to be afraid of confrontation I figured I"d go for it.

Was it worth it?

I know it is extremely easy to armchair quarterback this one, but a Glock is like $500. I'm doubtful that these to individuals had quality insurance, so I'm guessing your insurance was on the hook for two vehicles + medical expenses for possibly all involved. If you at any point had to hire lawyer, of course you'd eclipse $500 in an instant. Armchair quarterbacking because I myself know it would not be easy to watch someone literally snatch and grab something of mine, but at the end of the day I've got a family to get home to and take care of. But again, I'm not sure how I'd actually react if I were in a similar situation. Seems a good old call to 9-1-1 would have made your day much better.

I would be interested to hear more about whether or not you had to go to court over the use of your vehicle as a deadly weapon. I'm not saying it was the best course of action overall but in the circumstances do think any charges against you would be unwarranted. Of course, I'm sure you had to go to court as a witness when those two stood trial (if they have yet).

Tell us more.

tell me more the office GIF

Double tap

Edited by Spots
  • Moderators
25 minutes ago, Spots said:

Double tap

Maybe you meant it twice as much?

I completely understand what you are saying. In no way was I faulting you, and I guess overall the situation turned out ok enough, but it could have turned out much worse. I’m thankful for you and your family as well as the TGO community you lived to post about this. Glad to have you back. 

• Like 1
Just now, GlockSpock said:

Maybe you meant it twice as much?

I completely understand what you are saying. In no way was I faulting you, and I guess overall the situation turned out ok enough, but it could have turned out much worse. I’m thankful for you and your family as well as the TGO community you lived to post about this. Glad to have you back. 

I didn't take it badly or anything. I agree it could have turned out much worse. I almost widowed my wife and left my two babies that day. It was scary and violent and once the adrenaline and shock wore off my hands shook for days and I didnt sleep well for months. All things considered I got extremely lucky to survive, especially considering I hit a block wall head on at speeds in excess of 70 mph with no seatbelt on. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Thank you for sharing this with us. I am happy that it turned out as well as it did and your family didn’t lose you that day. 

Often times we find ourselves making suboptimal decisions on the fly because haven’t thought about what we would do in a particular situation. I hope folks here can use this as a learning experience to “pregame” what to do and options if they were to find themselves in a similar situation. 

I too think this could be an interesting interview with @TGO Davidon SN. 

It’s funny how I was thinking the other day about some folks I haven’t seen on in a while. I remember years back taking part in the Bowie pass around you did. Took me a while to find the thread. This was a lot of fun. 

I took a hiatus for a while as well. Glad you made it through this and are back on!

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

It’s funny how I was thinking the other day about some folks I haven’t seen on in a while. I remember years back taking part in the Bowie pass around you did. Took me a while to find the thread. This was a lot of fun. 

I took a hiatus for a while as well. Glad you made it through this and are back on!

Man thats been a minute. 9 years ago. That knife is laying in the top of my closest. I finally busted the handle it. I need to get it down snd rehandle it st some point

38 minutes ago, Spots said:

I traded it in on a Springfield 1911. Everytime i looked it at I got madder than hell so it had to go

It would have pissed me off too! So glad you lived to tell the tale, though!!!

Thanks for sharing!  It's a reminder to us all, what is really important!  Hope you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving! Remember the next time that this might happen, that they need you!