Does anyone shoot or hunt with a Sharps or similar?

Spots

So I have become very interested in getting into semi long range shooting with a big caliber single action. Dies anyone here shoot one or have any reccomendations? Ive looked at several on Dixie gun works but don't really know what extras are fluff and what really makes a difference. I do want to stay with .45-70 as i dont see any advantages to 45-90 and bigger when using smokeless. Anybody got any advice on rifle choice, or the hobby in general

rxkyqfk.png

5OlYTHu.jpeg

Not as often as I should & certainly not as much as I'd like, but I do shoot a little long range target (not competition, just funzies...) with an Uberti 1885 High Wall in .45-70.

Fitted with a Seoul tang sight & a Lyman globe front & shooting 510gn cast at right at 1100fps, I can regularly bang a 36" gong at 800yds. I have tried at 1000, but the cast lead nearly leaves a mark on the steel & it's almost impossible to hear (especially after several seconds of anticipation after the bang!)

I always, always wanted a Shiloh Sharps until I handled one & it honestly felt awful. I tried a buddy's Browning 1885 (with the tapered barrel, far nicer handling than the Uberti's untapered number) & immediately fell in love with the feel & action. The only downside is the heavier- than- I'd- like trigger, which to my understanding is almost impossible to rectify. It ain't terrible, but at 7lb with a bit of creep, it could certainly be better. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I've never hunted with it, as much as I'd like to. The standard Buckhorn sights were just awful for my eyes & the  target sights it currently wears aren't really well suited for quick shooting or lower light. Not a  doubt in my mind, had I the setup & time to count vernier marks, I could comfortably kill a deer anywhere from here to there, but honestly..... any of my scoped rifles are far more suitable! And they're a hell of a lot lighter to carry! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

rxkyqfk.png

5OlYTHu.jpeg

Not as often as I should & certainly not as much as I'd like, but I do shoot a little long range target (not competition, just funzies...) with an Uberti 1885 High Wall in .45-70.

Fitted with a Seoul tang sight & a Lyman globe front & shooting 510gn cast at right at 1100fps, I can regularly bang a 36" gong at 800yds. I have tried at 1000, but the cast lead nearly leaves a mark on the steel & it's almost impossible to hear (especially after several seconds of anticipation after the bang!)

I always, always wanted a Shiloh Sharps until I handled one & it honestly felt awful. I tried a buddy's Browning 1885 (with the tapered barrel, far nicer handling than the Uberti's untapered number) & immediately fell in love with the feel & action. The only downside is the heavier- than- I'd- like trigger, which to my understanding is almost impossible to rectify. It ain't terrible, but at 7lb with a bit of creep, it could certainly be better. 

I think I'm in love. Or maybe I'm in heat. Either way that thing is gorgeous. I mostly want for ringing steel out to 500 at my place on weekends, but I would enjoy the challenge of deer hunting with one on occasion.  Even if they are heavy as hell. 

• Like 1
On 11/22/2021 at 10:54 PM, Handsome Rob said:

rxkyqfk.png

5OlYTHu.jpeg

Rob, I'm as jealous as one guy can get, LOL. Great looking rifle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My father bought a Trapdoor Springfield a while back. We’ve been shooting it and working up loads. It shoots surprisingly well, but has a terrible trigger.

The antiques are cool and fun to play with at the range, but I learned years ago that if there’s a chance of ever having a very large buck in front of me, I want every advantage I can have.

It sure sucks to see a giant whitetail way across the hollow at about dark, and all you have is an old, iron sighted relic.

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

My father bought a Trapdoor Springfield a while back. We’ve been shooting it and working up loads. It shoots surprisingly well, but has a terrible trigger.

The antiques are cool and fun to play with at the range, but I learned years ago that if there’s a chance of ever having a very large buck in front of me, I want every advantage I can have.

It sure sucks to see a giant whitetail way across the hollow at about dark, and all you have is an old, iron sighted relic.

I've carried mine in the woods a few times (I'm DYING to smack a pig with a cast 510gn bullet) but have yet to put the metal to the meat. I did have to fabricate a new, slightly taller front sight to get on the paper at 100yds with my load (1090fps) & you're right about the trigger. Pull weight HAS to be close to 15lb & it has a week's worth of creep, but it'll stay inside 3" at 100yds & that's plenty good enough for me! 

DhWWlZt.jpeg

Edited by Handsome Rob
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

I've carried mine in the woods a few times (I'm DYING to smack a pig with a cast 510gn bullet) but have yet to put the metal to the meat. I did have to fabricate a new, slightly taller front sight to get on the paper at 100yds with my load (1090fps) & you're right about the trigger. Pull weight HAS to be close to 15lb & it has a week's worth of creep, but it'll stay inside 3" at 100yds & that's plenty good enough for me! 

DhWWlZt.jpeg

He made another sight as well. They must come sighted in for 500 yards or something. Everything from pistol bullets to heavy cast shot about the same point of impact.

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot a Pedersoli "Billy Dixon" Sharps in 45-90. in local matches.  The Pedersoli Sharps is building a reputation for first class performance. Mine came second hand and was is in excellent condition. Some of the Pedersoli's have no bells and whistles. I shoot with guys who have these guns and are very satisfied. We are not long range people people but ordinary shooters. I'd suggest doing some homework on what works. It's possible to spend a bunch of money upfront that is unnecessary. Buffalo Arms 's catalog and website is a good reference. My other Sharps is a C.Sharps Long range hunting and target rifle in 45-110. Mostly,  I shoot the Pedersoli. My experience with Trap Door's has been good. My last Trapdoor had a groove diameter of .462, Go figure. I'd suggest doing some shopping before spending money with Dixie Gun Works. Also, if considering a Sharps for hunting pay attention to weight and length of the guns.

• Like 1

The greatest rifle match I ever attended wuz a 1000 yd Black Powder National match at the ORSA Range in Oak Ridge, TN several years ago. 

The shooting wuz fabulous as we're the rifles n competitors.  There is simply nothing greater in all rifledom than a single shot muzzle or breach loading target rifle " KaBoom ". 

If ya have the inclination ta shoot these great rifles, go for it...I still want a Petersoli Gibbs or a Sharps and I'm almost too old ta shoot em...

Admiring leroy...

9 hours ago, Mowgli Terry said:

Screw that too old crap. I'm seventy-nine and shoot weekly. I got twenty-five rounds of 45-90 loaded up and am ready to go. We are this way once. Get one of the Pedersoli's and have at it.

I love it Brother..!  😀   I think ya are right...  Maybe this spring I can get into the swing of things... Ya loading the 45-90 with black powder..?

Thanks for the affirmation n nudging..!!!

leroy..

On 11/22/2021 at 10:34 PM, Spots said:

Ive looked at several on Dixie gun works but don't really know what extras are fluff and what really makes a difference.

Hunh. Didn't know High Wall/Low Wall rifles had "fluff" as "extras"?  😄

I had a Pedersoli 45/70 with double triggers once. I liked it but ended up trading it off. I liked the double set triggers & wouldn't own one again unless it had those. Another poster already mentioned a bad trigger on his, so who wants that?

I would also have to have a tang sight on one I bought new today, IMO. It would make it more accurate.

This year I bought an 1885 Low Wall Winchester but got it in .22mag so I could afford to shoot it AND save my 63 year old shoulder. LOL! 

My .o2

Other people than Dixie Gun Works handle the guns. From what I can tell there is a heavy demand for the rifles. Meaning out of stock many places. I'd suggest checking out Buffalo Arms for information. Also, check Cimarron Firearms Company. The that company is marked on my rifle. There is a piece on YouTube on building these rifles.

I have not shot my 45-90 with BP lately. I have used Accurate  5744 and the Lyman 457124. That's a 385 gr. bullet the give good accuracy in my rifle.

Added: Stick with the name brand rifles. There are some imported Sharps that are less than satisfactory.

Edited by Mowgli Terry