Lost my GB auction today

bobsguns

Had a winning bid in on a H&K USP Compact in .357Sig, blued slide. This is possibly the 2nd rarest USP that H&K ever imported/sold into the United States, based on what I've read. 

I was cruising along the last two days with a winning bid of $1,025 & feeling pretty good about it. The auction ended at 9:30am this morning. 

But about 9am, the Big Bully Boys showed up & kicked sand all over me. My paltry bid got left behind like the fat chick at the prom. The winning bid ended up being an even $2,000. Ho Lee Chit!

I've lost many auctions on GB but never quite by that much. Clearly I need to be buying some lottery tickets..........................    🤨 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Had a winning bid in on a H&K USP Compact in .357Sig, blued slide. This is possibly the 2nd rarest USP that H&K ever imported/sold into the United States, based on what I've read. 

I was cruising along the last two days with a winning bid of $1,025 & feeling pretty good about it. The auction ended at 9:30am this morning. 

But about 9am, the Big Bully Boys showed up & kicked sand all over me. My paltry bid got left behind like the fat chick at the prom. The winning bid ended up being an even $2,000. Ho Lee Chit!

I've lost many auctions on GB but never quite by that much. Clearly I need to be buying some lottery tickets..........................    🤨 

Lost a few on GB as well. I really, really hate that dang 15 minute rule of theirs! I know it's to "give everybody a fair chance." Bull! Just to aid the site and get higher sale prices.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, hipower said:

Lost a few on GB as well. I really, really hate that dang 15 minute rule of theirs! I know it's to "give everybody a fair chance." Bull! Just to aid the site and get higher sale prices.

I agree, you've had plenty of time to bid, without the last minute frenzy.

I've made several good purchases on GB over the years, mostly milsurps and several of them "mis-labelled" as something else (usually something much more common than what the gun actually turned out to be).  I don't spend much time there anymore, and from what I understand from other sites prices are through the roof on most of the old milsurps I'm primarily interested in.  I have bought a few modern guns there as well, but being the cheap bastard that I am I typically have to bid on a bunch of different examples to get one of what I want.  Most get outbid in the last few minutes, but I'm good with that, after all being a cheap bastard means I'm also patient ...

Edited by No_0ne

I've been outbid more times than I could ever count.  But that's just part of the game. 

GBs 15 minute rule can be both good and bad. I remember when last second sniping was all the rage. There was even an app to bid for you with only a few seconds left. OTOH: I've seen auctions extended for several hours because of it. 🙄

I've had that happen to me to. I gave up on Gunbroker due to the sales tax charge (9.25% TN. Tax), that can add up quick on a $2000+ Gun. That's why I just stick to buying on the forums I belong to, or just go to one of the local shops and ask if they can do better if I pay cash, that way the tax doesn't feel so bad. You can't hardly find anything on line anymore that you don't have to pay taxes on it, it's just convenient to order everything online anymore, and that's sad.

19 hours ago, hipower said:

I disagree with you on that one, and think the 15-minute rule is a good thing. Do you ever bid on eBay auctions? There's a phenomenon called "sniping" when people will submit a bid at the very last instant, giving other interested parties no opportunity to respond. That 15-minute rule eliminates sniping. Higher sales prices are good for the site and good for the seller, and no one is forced to bid more than they're willing to pay.  Just my two cents.

Yes there is. I've used it many times. That's the smart way to do it. Decide what your absolute max is and bid that via auto bid. If you get beat, so be it. Walk away. 

I, too, have pretty much given up on GB. I've gotten some great guns there in the past. But these days the prices are high, the competition tough and now with sales taxes, its just not worth it anymore. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I, too, have pretty much given up on GB. I've gotten some great guns there in the past. But these days the prices are high, the competition tough and now with sales taxes, its just not worth it anymore. 

Ehhhh, one can find the hidden nugget once in a while, IMO. I just got a Colt (made by Walther) Gold Cup Trophy 1911 in .22LR with 4 mags for something like $380. Obviously this isn't one of the "hot" guns on the market these days, which is what one finds when looking for affordable guns, IMO. 

But I whole heartedly agree that prices are in the insane zone for guns that don't rate them. Pythons for $3K? USP for $2K? Diamondbacks for $2k, some higher? Insane indeed. 

14 hours ago, Darrell said:

I disagree with you on that one, and think the 15-minute rule is a good thing. Do you ever bid on eBay auctions? There's a phenomenon called "sniping" when people will submit a bid at the very last instant, giving other interested parties no opportunity to respond. That 15-minute rule eliminates sniping. Higher sales prices are good for the site and good for the seller, and no one is forced to bid more than they're willing to pay.  Just my two cents.

Yep your 2 cents vs my 2 cents. I disagree with you as well. A timed auction is an opportunity to bid within the stated time frame. If I wish to bid an amount for that item, I can do so. Bid high from the beginning if you think it will work. Or don't bid. We each have an equal opportunity to place a bid we think is appropriate on that item. The time of placement is the key. Early or late. But bid in good faith. If I bid and have a high bid at the stated end time...I should win. Adding 15 minutes after that end is not the way I play the game.

As for sniping, the same thing applies. You or I have the opportunity to bid. High bids are shown, so bid higher if you want it. Waiting until the end to bid is not a crime. You, or I, can see the highest bid and decide whether or not to go further. 

I doubt you will agree, but's my 2 cents on the subject. And for what it's worth. I have been sniped in bidding. And I have been the sniper as well.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hipower said:

I doubt you will agree, but's my 2 cents on the subject. And for what it's worth. I have been sniped in bidding. And I have been the sniper as well.

There's merits to both sides of the argument, IMO. 

Who doesn't want a bargain on a buy? Can't get a bargain when you have to bid high from the git-go, IMO. 

And as you say, if you want, bid enough to get it & never mind the bargain.

I'm still surprised a USP brought $2k..............   

• Like 1