Ready for something better

Whisper

In the now-closed thread on the Rittenhouse verdict, which chucktshoes wisely closed because of excessive thread drift, bobsguns posted this:

-- Sure, we're ready for something better. But who? How? One has to be insane to get involved in politics these days, IMO.

It's an excellent question, and one that I write about occasionally in other venues.  Some short thoughts --

There are different levels of getting involved in politics.  At the level of actually running for office, most people aren't going to find the idea attractive, useful, or even tolerable, and for a variety of reasons.  But there are other types of involvement, some requiring minimal effort but offering potential rewards.

1. Contact your elected officials and let them know your thoughts.  If they're doing the right thing, thank them.  But even if you know the official holds a view diametrically opposed to yours, let him/her know you disagree and are watching.  Politicians spend a lot of time in an echo chamber hearing from their sycophants how wise and great they are.  Reminding them there are other views -- and reminding them in an intelligent and reasoned way -- may not change their minds about anything...but if they start hearing the same "other view" more and more, they might start reconsidering.

2. Choose your information sources wisely.  News media today are starkly polarized along political lines but they range across a wide spectrum of polarization, and there are some in or near the middle that have less bias.  Seek them out.  Also, consume information from both the right and left (maybe not much at the extreme limits) because there are good points to be made on both sides.  You might learn something that could influence your own thinking, or you might gain some insights that will help you refute claims from the other side.  I know there's a certain crude appeal to dismissing all news and information media by saying "They're all liars and you can't trust any of them," but that's simply not true for intelligent people willing to do little work and exercise their critical thinking skills.

3. Work toward making things better.  An excellent way to do this is for looking for areas where there's an opportunity to make a difference.  For example, there are people on both sides of the aisle who favor better voter identification laws.  The left wants them to prevent voter discrimination, and the right wants them to prevent voter fraud, but the operative point here is that there are people on both sides who agree on this issue.  To a small extent, we've seen the same thing in some of the discussion of the infrastructure bill -- both the right and left recognize that we need better roads and bridges and a more robust transportation system.  And there's a growing chorus of voices from Dems and the GOP for instituting term limits for elected officials.  What if politicians and voters on both the right and the left cooperated on those issues where there's agreement instead of demonizing each other because of issues where they disagree?  No, we wouldn't have heaven on earth, but we'd have progress.

4. Finally, and perhaps most important:  When you see politicians or news organizations on the left or the right that promote general hatred and contempt toward the other side just because they're on the other side, recognize that you are being played. Whether it's Tucker Carlson or Rachel Maddow, Anastasio Ocasio-Cortez or Marjorie Taylor Greene, Breitbart or Democratic Underground, understand that they're promoting anger and divisiveness because they profit from doing so.  They want more money, more votes, more campaign donations, larger audiences, additional sponsors.  People working together to solve problems simply doesn't pay as well for politicians or the news media.  

I've written enough for now.  There are plenty of smart people with good intentions and creative ideas here on this forum.  I'd be interested in your thoughts.  (Those of you who are morons, please hold your comments.  😁 )

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I had a long drawn out response to this, but thought better than to post it. You make valid points and have good ideas. 

While we have the best system of government there is, that system is broken beyond repair. Our government is corrupt from top to bottom.  To them its all about political gamesmanship, money and power. We, the people, no longer matter.  

• Like 2

My experience with elected officials has been they only want my money not my opinion.  

When Cohen was promoting a state income tax, he called the police on us when we tried to make him aware of our opposition to the proposed tax.  He wouldn't listen to our concerns but continually sends mail asking for contributions.

Edited by tnhawk

very good points all. I have been reduced to voting for the lesser of two evils. our process is not broken, it is our ideals and fear of God that are missing. we no longer as a nation strive for the good of all but stand for our own self interests. me included. my belief is that we got here by not standing against small evils until the small "concessions" have become overwhelming. remain involved, speak up against wrong regardless of the fear. hold the fight until the end.

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

. Finally, and perhaps most important:  When you see politicians or news organizations on the left or the right that promote general hatred and contempt toward the other side just because they're on the other side, recognize that you are being played. Whether it's Tucker Carlson or Rachel Maddow, Anastasio Ocasio-Cortez or Marjorie Taylor Greene, Breitbart or Democratic Underground, understand that they're promoting anger and divisiveness because they profit from doing so.  They want more money, more votes, more campaign donations, larger audiences, additional sponsors.  People working together to solve problems simply doesn't pay as well for politicians or the news media.  

This sums up pretty well my thoughts on politics, politicians, and those who make their living talking and pontificating about politics and politicians.  It's the main reason (besides the fact I find these broadcasts incredibly boring) that I don't listen to talk radio, talking head shows, podcasts, etc.  I also rarely spend much time listening to political speeches by politicians or the talking head crowd either, more mindless preaching to the choir. 

Full disclosure:  Being a moron has never kept me from sharing my thoughts (or lack thereof) before, so I figured why start now ...

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

While I understand the good intentions and such behind this post, I’m going to preemptively take action and close it down. I appreciate that all who have posted so far did so with thoughtfulness and care, but it’s best to not tempt fate any further. 

Now I’m gonna put the phone down until tomorrow and spend some time with the family. Happy thanksgiving y’all! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1