Man Arrives to Pick Up Son from Ex-Wife... Things Do Not Go Well

The reddit title is incorrect.  The shooter was actually married to a local judge but they are divorcing. 

This was the father of his  girlfriend's children he shot.  The home is the shooter's.  Neither the ex-wife nor the  children live there.   

Looks like reddit has removed the video but there is a mirror link in the pinned post.

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/11/10/lubbock-police-release-statement-fatal-shooting-chad-read/

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/11/24/attorney-chad-reads-widow-files-petition-take-custody-his-children-their-mother-releases-video-shooting/

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/news/crime/2021/11/24/video-shows-shooting-chad-read-linked-kyle-carruth-lubbock-home/8754796002/

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

What a mess. I have to agree with the woman recording that it sure did look planned. 

From the article. "At that time, I thought that it was some type of stun-gun or paintball gun. Even when Kyle Carruth fired the shots, the sound was very muffled and not as loud as I now firearms to be."

I thought the same thing. Anyone know what type of rifle that is? The shots almost sounded suppressed. 

Dead guy is obviously a  belligerent attacker. He's physically bigger and continued his attack even after a weapon was presented. However, he's unarmed and never physically assaults the shooter. Just yelling and shoving.

Shooter is assaulted in his own home by a trespasser who refused to leave when told to. He introduced the weapon into the situation. Stand your ground law? 

Child custody and visitation issues can often be very volatile. Was dead guy supposed to be there at that time? 

IDK. Looks like a bad shoot to me.  Drugs, alcohol involved? History?  Could go either way. Depends a lot on info we don't have. This one is gonna get ugly. 

• Like 1

On one hand the homeowner introduced the firearm in a situation I do not think it was not warranted.  On the other hand the loud mouth then advanced and threatened to take it from him and use it on him.  The law may be with the homeowner in that the mouth refused to leave when told to but not sure I could justify deadly force there.

On another note the mouths wife seemed very calm for just seeing her husband shot. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, 45guy said:

On one hand the homeowner introduced the firearm in a situation I do not think it was not warranted.  On the other hand the loud mouth then advanced and threatened to take it from him and use it on him.  The law may be with the homeowner in that the mouth refused to leave when told to but not sure I could justify deadly force there.

On another note the mouths wife seemed very calm for just seeing her husband shot. 

Yeah when I initially watched that I thought it may even be fake due to her lack of emotion. I read somewhere that she may have initially thought it was some type of less than lethal option.  Still though, seemed a little off.

2 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

Yeah when I initially watched that I thought it may even be fake due to her lack of emotion. I read somewhere that she may have initially thought it was some type of less than lethal option.  Still though, seemed a little off.

Also the two shots dropped the guy like a rock. Must have hit the spinal cord.  It did not look like a head shot to me. 

13 minutes ago, 45guy said:

On the other hand the loud mouth then advanced and threatened to take it from him and use it on him.  The law may be with the homeowner in that the mouth refused to leave when told to but not sure I could justify deadly force there.

AFTER the shooter fired at the other guy’s feet.  Not sure why he grabbed the shooter and slung him away—distance gives the shooter a big advantage.  Either get out of Dodge or fight like hell for control of the gun.  I’m not sure what TX law is, but you can’t shoot someone for trespassing in TN.  I don’t see how the shooter argues that he was in fear for his life, etc.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, deerslayer said:

AFTER the shooter fired at the other guy’s feet.  Not sure why he grabbed the shooter and slung him away—distance gives the shooter a big advantage.  Either get out of Dodge or fight like hell for control of the gun.  I’m not sure what TX law is, but you can’t shoot someone for trespassing in TN.  I don’t see how the shooter argues that he was in fear for his life, etc.  

Pretty sure the guy did not think the shooter would actually fire. That's the only thing that I can come up with.  I agree it would be tough to argue he felt his life was threatened until the guy said he would take it from him and kill him with is.  I think the shooter thought that bringing the gun out would run the guy off.  I have never thought thinking someone will not use their firearm or that pulling it to scare someone was wise. 

• Like 2

I think one could reasonably believe that the shooter was in fear for the bodily harm and /or life of his girlfriend and himself.   For me, that in and of itself makes getting the gun not such an issue.  

He never points the gun at the guy until the guy basically initiates contact and tries to take the gun. At that point, I think all bets are off. 

What is probably of even more importance are things we don’t know like any previous threats, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

Ego will get you killed faster than anything else. It’s a sad case all around, especially for the son who lost his father in all of it. 

At some point he’s going to likely end up seeing the video of his dad getting killed. I can’t imagine how devastating that will be for him. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
48 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

What is probably of even more importance are things we don’t know like any previous threats, etc. 

^^^ this.

We don't know if the shooter has had prior experience with the mouth being violent which could add to the defense that a reasonable person would be in fear of their life or serious harm.

• Like 1

Weird video, like a fake with bad acting. Unarmed man grabbed his gun but let go. Then home owner got some distance and didn't need to fire unless he was being charged at afterwards then but vid doesn't show.

His property but deadly force seemed inapropriate at that moment.  Other angles and full vid needed but...

Homeowner was too quick to come out with weapon in this situation in my opinion.

Edited by OLDNEWBIE
spelling
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, deerslayer said:I don’t see how the shooter argues that he was in fear for his life, etc.  

I agree. Once the shooter went inside the house he could have armed himself and called the cops to report a trespass situation.  If the big loudmouth enters the home, then all bets are off. This entire situation is shady. 

• Like 2

So I may surprise some people here but lets go.  I think the decedent brought this on himself.  Bringing the gun into it or not, the man refused to leave and was trying to be as imposing as he could using his size advantage etc.  This is the shooters home and the guy just showed up showing his ass.  The wife offers to go get the kid in the video right as the shooter goes inside to get the gun and the guy just takes the opportunity to make more threats about court etc.  He should have said great ill follow you.  When you are ordered off someone's property you should leave.  Especially if they have a gun.  He could had his tantrum on teh street after calling the cops for parental interference.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

I agree. Once the shooter went inside the house he could have armed himself and called the cops to report a trespass situation.  If the big loudmouth enters the home, then all bets are off. This entire situation is shady. 

Exactly--go get the girlfriend, get everybody inside, and call the police.  If the guy starts busting in, things change.  Otherwise, I don't see how the guy walks if TX laws are similar to TN.  I know several people who have had tense situations when someone is picking up the kids from the ex and a boyfriend/girlfriend/new spouse is involved.  Gunfire has never been the result, though.  

ETA:  For the record, I am not a divorced dad lol

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

https://familytexas.com/interference-with-child-custody/#:~:text=Under Texas Penal Code 25.03,order%2C or a temporary order%3B&text=when the non-custodial parent,custody of the other parent.

What is interference with child custody in Texas? Under TEXAS PENAL CODE 25.03, a person interferes with child custody when he or she takes or keeps a child under age 18:

when they know it violates the terms of a judgment, a court order, or a temporary order; when the individual has not been awarded custody of the child by a court of jurisdiction and knows that a divorce or lawsuit has been filed regarding child custody and takes the child out of the geographical area or out of the county without the court’s permission; when they take the child out of the U.S. to deprive the other parent of possession or access to the child without the other parent’s permission; when the non-custodial parent persuades the child to leave the custody of the other parent. What is the punishment for interference with child custody? In Texas, interference with child custody is a state jail felony punishable by six months to two years in a state jail facility and a maximum $10,000 fine.

Are there defenses to the charge of interference with child custody? Yes. There are primarily three defenses to this charge which may allow the defendant to avoid or mitigate the legal consequences for the offense including:

If the parent returned the child to the geographical area of the court’s jurisdiction within three days of the commission of the offense. If taking and possessing the child was pursuant to a valid court order, which allowed possession and access to the child. If the actor can prove that retaining the child was due to circumstances beyond their control, such as a flight being delayed, bad weather or a lack of transportation. In the case of an unexpected delay, the parent must have provided notice or made reasonable attempts to provide notice to the other parent, explaining the circumstances that led to the retention of the child. Is interference with child custody a common charge? Many police departments view this as a civil matter and may be reluctant to make arrests and file cases against feuding parents. The matter is sometimes instead handled by the family court where the child custody order is in place. In this case, the parent accused of interference with child custody, as well as the parent alleging the misconduct, should contact a family law attorney.

Edited by Daniel