Happy Birthday to my truck

deerslayer

Or maybe more accurately, happy adoption day.  Bought my 2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD 15 years ago today.  It may throw a rod tomorrow, but four sets of tires and 32 oil changes later, it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.  

A3EBDBDB-E2A1-4A0A-B9C6-1E1CD8E02BEC.jpeg

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 13
9 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Frame is mint. I went over it with a microscope before buying it. Sadly, rust is the number one killer of the first generation Tundra. 

1104201517.jpg

Capture+_2021-07-17-20-54-34.png

Been looking for one of these. Sadly they come in 2 variations...very good and very high priced. Or...rusted out and a very high price.

• Like 1

We are a Toyota household here as well.  I'm in a 2012 Tundra Crewmax and wife drives a 2021 Sequoia TRD Pro.  

This is my second Tundra with the first being a 2004, both have been great vehicles, only reason that I upgraded was towing capacity.  

My current plan, and I will reevaluate, when the time comes: sell my current Tundra when it hits 200k and buy one that's 5~ years old with 100k~.  Reason being it doesn't seem like these trucks loose a lot of value between 100-200k but they start to loose value after 200k.  For example, I drove my 2004 Tundra for 7 years and put 100k on it.  I sold it for $1,500 less than I paid for it.  Paying a couple of grand to use a vehicle for, especially one you like, for a few years is pretty decent business in my opinion.  

I'll also add, in the 7 years that I owned the 2004, other than routine preventative maintenance the only thing that truck ever needed was a coil pack and a wheel bearing.  Not bad for the second 100k of it's life.  I sold it to a friend and he absolutely abuses it (saw him tow 18k pounds with it) and it's still going strong. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Frog4aday said:

@deerslayer,

Congrats on the 15 year Tacoma anniversary! They are great trucks that accomplish a lot for their size. A little PM now & again is all they ask in return for years of troublefree service. I love my 2001. I can relate to your post. Your truck looks great, by the way.

Thank ya!

6 hours ago, derf said:

Happy Birthday to the TACO. You really should sell me this thing before it lays down on ya! Hahaha

You’ll have to get in line 😜

2 hours ago, pitt2magic said:

I drive a Tundra Crewwmax, we also have a Sequoia, daughter drives Rav 4, older son a Tacoma, younger son a FJ Cruiser.  Cant beat the reliability.

I'm thinking of going with a Double Cab next time.  That 5.5 ft bed kills me.  This is the first truck I've ever had that I didn't have a toolbox in the bed of.  The ample room behind the back seat kind of makes up for it, but I certainly can't make do with a 4 foot bed, so no toolbox.  When I go hunting I need to take my camper and a 4 wheeler. I have a Honda Recon and a Rincon.  I normally take the Rincon, but it's a chore to get situated.  I have to strap my generator to the rear rack of the four wheeler, put car ramps in the front of the bed, then pulled all the way forward the rear wheel will be right on the edge of the bed.  (Without the ramps the rear tires are in the bumper) Once in, there is zero room for anything else in the bed.  A gas can, and a 5 gallon bucket with the camper's stinky slinky and accessories go in each floor board.  With the Recon I can pull it in the bed of the truck, no ramps needed in front of bed, put it to one side of the bed and still have room for the generator, fuel can, and bucket.  With the Recon I could probably even close the tailgate.  

The holy grail that I will likely never find to my liking would be a low mileage 07-08 Double Cab with the 8 foot bed.  Discontinuing the 8 foot bed is one of several bones I would like to pick with Toyota.  Other bones I have to pick with Toyota:

1) stupid low payload rating in Tundra.

2) another 6-8 mph would be reality nice out of the 5.7.  Fords see those numbers, still wouldn't trade for a Ford though. 

3) no 3/4 or 1 ton options.  

• Like 1
On 11/26/2021 at 2:49 PM, Erik88 said:

Frame is mint. I went over it with a microscope before buying it. Sadly, rust is the number one killer of the first generation Tundra. 

1104201517.jpg

Capture+_2021-07-17-20-54-34.png

To be that clean I would say they have replaced that frame. 

Toyota dealerships are still replacing Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia frames years later - Alt Car news (tiremeetsroad.com)