Done with my Trifecta of SA Magnums

I'v been looking out for a nice SA 357 for a while now to complete a 3 gun set and this one popped up on GB at a discounted price. I was rather mesmerized by how the CCH finish took on a completely different color placement solely determined by the engraving pattern across the top strap. So, despite the crappy white plastic grips and Hold your breath on how bad the Transfer bar trig was going to be..... I bought this Davidson's special Traditions Bill Tighlman Pietta. And yup, the trigger was worse than I could have imagined. 
  In this first picture, you can see how far forward the skinny trigger is in the guard. Half that rearward distance is all take up to get the trans bar up infront of the frame mounted firing pin. And then you get a crazy amount of sear drag under a heavily over cocked hammer notch angle geometry. So, I hit EMF up for a Alchemista model low, wide spur firing pin hammer and extra wide trigger. It took some frame milling to get the new hammer to work and nearly 1/4" of weld added to lengthen the trigger into a newly egg shaped trigger guard to give me an extra nice full bodied trigger to finger fit. Those pictured grips were what I thought might fit but didnt on the Pietta but were an easy fit mod on the Uberti Stallion 22.
c5XsEKYl.jpg

I ended up fitting a Altimont set of Walnut grips onto the finished work.
XEU0W8yh.jpg

The groups were light 357 reloads 30' off hand on the left and Fiochi 142g FMJ at 45' off sand bags. Funny how the factory hot loads shot nearly 3" lower!
eulkq5Ch.jpg

The revolver is exceptionally tight in its lock up timing and fit to frame. Its capable of much better accuracy due to my 2 shooting handy caps that happened to be squinting like crazy over my glasses to get a relatively usable sight picture and the hopefully...... maybe short lived tennis elbow in my right arm that I stupidly let our new Blue Healer dog put in me by trying to satisfy her insatiable apatite to play tug of war! She's 40 lbs of Jack Hammer on the end of a loop rope........ much to my new found ailment, off hand shooting is not what it used to be.

T0mZnchh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 4 weeks later...