Oxford High School Shooting- Oxford, Michigan

2 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Just saw on the news the kids dad bought the Sig 9mm just 4 days before the shooting.

Makes it sound bad, but we have no idea. I know some of us might rarely have a week where we DO NOT buy a gun, Or it could have been the first pistol they owned. Even could have been meant as a gift for another family member outside the household.  

Sadly for those of us with older teen kids, it is a worry to NOT give them training and access to the guns in case of an emergency, but also a worry that if they do, then they could be misused. No perfect answer. I had access and training on guns since I was 5. My dad, grandfather, and great grandfathers were putting food on the table with a gun from an early age. Hard to think that you have to remove the option for your 17 year old to protect themselves if the house is broken into.

Edited by Ronald_55
my typing
  • Like 1

I don't have kids so I'll ask the parents here a question. We've seen so many examples now where a teenager has stolen a parents gun and done this. I'm sure none of these parents ever imagined THEIR kid would do this. Have any of these shootings made you reconsider your decision to leave guns unsecured? 

4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I don't have kids so I'll ask the parents here a question. We've seen so many examples now where a teenager has stolen a parents gun and done this. I'm sure none of these parents ever imagined THEIR kid would do this. Have any of these shootings made you reconsider your decision to leave guns unsecured? 

Not really, as most of mine stay locked up in my cabinet. My kids could get into it of they really wanted to, but I try to diffuse their curiosity by letting them see/handle them when they ask.  I wish I could take them shooting more often, but bb guns in the backyard is about as good as it gets these days. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Nope. My sons learned gun safety from an early age. I also taught them that guns aren't used to settle arguments and a bit of common sense.  They are now 36 & 42 and both keep a loaded firearm in their home for self defense. 

It would seem that modern parents don't teach their kids anything about dealing with the real world. 🤬

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I'm thinking this is another case of a snowflake that got bullied, couldn't deal with it and cracked mentally. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Nope. My sons learned gun safety from an early age. I also taught them that guns aren't used to settle arguments and a bit of common sense.  They are now 36 & 42 and both keep a loaded firearm in their home for self defense. 

It would seem that modern parents don't teach their kids anything about dealing with the real world. 🤬

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I'm thinking this is another case of a snowflake that got bullied, couldn't deal with it and cracked mentally. 

Thanks for the stereotype.  

Society has removed many of the stress outlets for kids. They don't get into fist fights at recess or after school because fighting is wrong.  Conflict resolution isn't taught anywhere. Instead it seems to be better to bottle up all that angst until it burns them up from the inside or explodes. 

• Like 5
19 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Nope! They've had their own since they've been big enough to shoot one. Raising a normal kid ain't really that hard if you're willing to put a bit of time and effort in it.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, peejman said:

Society has removed many of the stress outlets for kids. They don't get into fist fights at recess or after school because fighting is wrong.  Conflict resolution isn't taught anywhere. Instead it seems to be better to bottle up all that angst until it burns them up from the inside or explodes. 

Yep.

It use to be that a good playground fight broke out when anger finally boiled over, words were said, perhaps peer pressure tipped the scale. Now remove the playground, multiply the peer pressure 100x thanks to SM and its only a matter of time.

Word this morning is the parents could both face charges. Interested how that will play out.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Daughters here who have zero interest no matter how many times I try and force it. One was a natural with the bb gun but absolute zero interest so I am more lax than some. 

Unloaded out of sight and away from ammo all the time but not always locked up.

If I had a boy, especially one who exhibited signs of a loner who let's just say is "different".... or even to a lesser extent just typical teen boy but fascinated with first person shooter games I would take the gun security to a different level. Perhaps even reduce my collection of "certain semi-auto weapons" as well as locked always. Although no safe will stop a determined person from access and it could be argued with a safe, the location and the fact you even have guns is now obvious.

Hard to be objective with your own teens to think they are on a track to do something like this but I think I am on other issues. Perhaps that's why they are mad at me so often lol.

Seriously though, in hindsight haven't all these young killers shown warning signs that were ignored by the parents or someone the parents sent the kid to for help?

You are responsible for the guns you own but you are more responsible to be paying attention to your kid. Some of these shootings could have been easily prevented.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, peejman said:

Bully prevention and treatment is stressed to a fault in this PC world.

When real bullying finally reaches some of our insulated youth for the first time, maybe High School well...

Kid has no idea how to deal with it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

If I had a boy, especially one who exhibited signs of a loner who let's just say is "different".... or even to a lesser extent just typical teen boy but fascinated with first person shooter games I would take the gun security to a different level.

I have said many times that these kids that stay locked up playing these shootem up video games lose their perception about real guns. I think the video games play a very big part in school shootings, that and an applied paddle on their butts!! No time outs boys or girls!!

• Like 3

Kids should go outside and play. Kids should give/take an azzwhoopin as needed. It’s all part of growing up and learning to deal with people. Deny your kids this and there will be consequences.

School faculty who subscribe to the “zero tolerance policy” should be horse whipped and fired. This is typical union laziness and lack of accountability. Usually, when there is a fist fight at school, only only one of the two participants deserves to get punished.

A boy needs a father. A boy needs a dog. To grow up without either isn’t good at all. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Authorized Vendor
10 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Kids should go outside and play. Kids should give/take an azzwhoopin as needed. It’s all part of growing up and learning to deal with people. Deny your kids this and there will be consequences.

School faculty who subscribe to the “zero tolerance policy” should be horse whipped and fired. This is typical union laziness and lack of accountability. Usually, when there is a fist fight at school, only only one of the two participants deserves to get punished.

A boy needs a father. A boy needs a dog. To grow up without either isn’t good at all. 

AMEN BROTHER PREACH IT - jesus says | Meme Generator

• Like 3
On 12/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, Erik88 said:

I’ve taken my son to shoot. So has my FiL. I’ve gone over gun safety with both of my kids and my wife. All but one of my guns are secured with one being accessible for emergencies. That being said, we are currently living in separate states and I brought all the guns with me. 

One just cannot believe, but about half of what you see in the news guys. Not enough info on the parents being charged. Not against the law to not have a gun locked up in TN. Much too early to jump to judgment on this matter. Certainty the school shooting is very bad. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59523682

Why have the parents been charged?

On Friday, Oakland County lead prosecutor Karen McDonald acknowledged that charging parents in a child's alleged crime was highly unusual.

According to her office's investigation, the boy was with his father last Friday when Mr Crumbley bought the firearm believed to have been used in the shooting.

A post on the boy's social media later that day showed off his dad's new weapon as "my new beauty", adding a heart emoji.

Just one day before the shooting, a teacher said she saw the boy searching online for ammunition, which prompted a meeting with school officials, Ms McDonald said. After being informed of the incident, Mrs Crumbley texted her son: "LOL I'm not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught."

And on Tuesday morning - hours before the rampage - Mr and Mrs Crumbley were called into the school for an urgent meeting after teachers found a note by their son, including several drawings of guns and bloodied people alongside captions like "the thoughts won't stop. Help me", and "blood everywhere". The boy had also written "My life is useless" and "The world is dead", according to the prosecutor.

School officials told the pair they would have to seek counselling for their son.

But the boy's parents did not want him to be removed from school that day, Ms McDonald said, and did not ask him whether he had the gun with him, or search the backpack he brought with him to school.

At 13:22 later that day, Mrs Crumbley texted her son to say: "Ethan, don't do it." Minutes later her husband called police to report his gun was missing, said the prosecutor.

But authorities say the boy had already emerged from the school bathroom and opened fire on fellow students.

Ms McDonald said the charges were meant to hold the Crumbleys accountable as well as to send a message about responsible gun ownership.

"The notion that a parent could read those words and also know that their son had access to a deadly weapon that they gave him is unconscionable, and it's criminal," she said.