Oxford High School Shooting- Oxford, Michigan

9 hours ago, Links2k said:

The mom’s text messages to the son before the shooting and other social media could very likely harm the parents. The prosecutor seems to be ready to throw everything against the wall.

If the info in that article is true then they deserve every charge. They should have sought mental help for their son and instead bought a handgun. 

• Like 3

At first glance charging the parents concerned me as a step towards losing a little more of our already weakened 2ndA.

If the charges are they encouraged and provided a gun and to a kid that was showing obvious signs of a mass shooter, resulting in death, then I'm OK with it. 

If the charges are they had an unsecure gun that the kid took then I'm not OK with it.

It's a very slippery slope that could morph into laws penalizing an owner who's gun was stolen. Or mandatory safe laws leading to inspections, registration and the rest of it.

Saying that if what we hear is true...

The unique actions and inactions of these parents compared to most of the usual mass killers parents we hear about warrants punishment. 

• Like 2

The parents are culpable to a degree without a doubt.  They bought a 15 year old kid with issues a pistol.

I don’t know Michigan law but it seems they are going to make a statement here.  

It’s old-fashioned thinking these days but parents are, or should be, held accountable for their minor children’s actions.  The world would be a much better place if we went back to that.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Garufa said:

They bought a 15 year old kid with issues a pistol.

This is basically the definition of involuntary manslaughter. They didnt do the killing,  but did enable their son to commit the murders both by their actions and inaction.  That's a terrible place to be and I hope this does send parents a message. 

• Like 2

Riding around in my work car today (14hrs, yuck!), I listened to quite a bit of news about this. 

Parents were found in an "artist's warehouse" in Detroit. Their lawyer told police he couldn't get ahold of them, i.e. they were incommunicado. Their car was spotted on the street, police set up a perimeter & they were found.

One internet news report has a neighbor/friend/relative saying the parents spoiled the kid rotten. Based on the mom's texts, I can believe that.

The shooter posted pics of the gun on his social media saying (paraphrasing) "Look at my Christmas present!"

Heard another report that the kid had the pistol in his backpack when he & the parents were meeting with school officials. No clue if that's true or not. 

Some school officials are now being "charged", whatever that means. Seriously doubtful anything will stick, even criminal negligence. Some argue the kid should've been suspended pending a psych eval. I can't disagree with that.

The local DA had a press conference (of course) where she listed the gun maker, model, caliber & the store where it was purchased from. Kinda pissed me off she named the store as they did everything they were supposed to do in a legal sale. Hopefully, they won't get a bunch of negative feedback. I'm sure some of the crazed gun grabbers will march around their shop.

My observations:

1) WHY in the wide, wide world of sports would these "parents" buy this psycho kid a pistol AFTER the school repeatedly expressed concerns about his behavior? WHY?

2) Studies show the vast majority of school shooters were on, or have been on in their past, some ADD drugs of some sort. For a long time, the US mil wouldn't take recruits if they've been on Ritalin or other ADD drugs as a kid. No clue if that's still the case currently or not?

3) Not a fan of red flag laws by ANY means, but I think there should've been something flagged by the local po-po should either of the parents try to buy a gun. Not deny the purchase, but have someone have a SERIOUS talk with both parents about the circumstances. Too bad the gun shop didn't know, then they could've denied the sale themselves.

4) Caller after caller on some of the national talk shows (I have sirius radio) were saying "we have too many guns!" I was screaming back at the radio, "How many is enough???"  LOL! Jackasses. 

5) On one hand, I blame the school as much as the parents. The school could've kicked the kid out for an alternative school or mental treatment. Yes, the parents probably would've sued but I doubt they'd have won that one. To be fair, the schools have a LOT on their plate already without making them either fortune tellers or amateur shrinks. But surely the guidance counselor could've pushed for something? 

I was bullied quite a bit in junior & high school. To this day if I see certain guys in person we're going to revisit those days & they're not going to like the visit. But I NEVER even thought about taking one of my dad's guns & killing some guys over it. This is a societal failure, IMO.