Pain Remedies

Defender

At 66, I've been very lucky in my life and have never suffered from chronic pain...until this year.  Earlier this year i began having severe (to me)  pain on the top of my left hand and from the elbow sown my forearm as well as a different kind of pain in the very top of my  arm, but not quite the shoulder.  It really is two different types of pain, the top part feels wither musculature or maybe in the bone, while the lower arm/hand pain is very different and feels  like its on the skin itself.  My PCP doc thought it might be nerve pain and sent me to a very highly regarded neurosurgeon. He sent me for xrays, and a coup[le other scope tests and said I had a pinched nerve in my spine  and he was sure that was causing the hand pain.  He did surgery on 30 July, removing C1-C5 and installing titanium spacers.  Here it is Dec and pain is no worse, maybe  even worse.  Last month, the surgeon sent me to a hand dr and that one said he didn't know.  My PCP is referring me to a different hand doctor.  Meanwhile back at the farm, I hurt.  Im on Gabapentin, 600mg 4 times a day, naproxen twice a day and Tylenol a couple times a day.  That stuff doesn't seem to help.  I use tiger balm on the hand and it helps some but doesn't last.  Can anyone that may have had similar pain recommend something?  Im interested in CBD type products, if legal, but have no clue what to try.  I ordered a non THC creme from the internet, but it was a waste of money.  I know, I know, Im a wuss, lol.

I feel your hurt. I've been on Chemotherapy Treatments for a year now and I developed numbness in my hands and feet due to the side effects from my treatment. My hands sometimes are buzzy or feel thick and I get a burning feeling in the tips of my fingers and it sometimes keeps me from doing any small tack. My feet are numb but they don't have the burning sensation like my hands do, and the skin on my hands peel sometimes and crack. It's hard to bend my fingers sometimes. I to took the Gabapentin 300mg four times a day but I quit it due to it combined with my other meds that for a week straight I would literally pass out two or three times a day during that week, so I quit it. I really don't know what to tell you to use for the pain, so far I've learned to just live with it for now, but it sucks. If you find something that works for you please PM me and tell me about it. Good luck sir.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Defender said:

At 66, I've been very lucky in my life and have never suffered from chronic pain...until this year.  Earlier this year i began having severe (to me)  pain on the top of my left hand and from the elbow sown my forearm as well as a different kind of pain in the very top of my  arm, but not quite the shoulder.  It really is two different types of pain, the top part feels wither musculature or maybe in the bone, while the lower arm/hand pain is very different and feels  like its on the skin itself.  My PCP doc thought it might be nerve pain and sent me to a very highly regarded neurosurgeon. He sent me for xrays, and a coup[le other scope tests and said I had a pinched nerve in my spine  and he was sure that was causing the hand pain.  He did surgery on 30 July, removing C1-C5 and installing titanium spacers.  Here it is Dec and pain is no worse, maybe  even worse.  Last month, the surgeon sent me to a hand dr and that one said he didn't know.  My PCP is referring me to a different hand doctor.  Meanwhile back at the farm, I hurt.  Im on Gabapentin, 600mg 4 times a day, naproxen twice a day and Tylenol a couple times a day.  That stuff doesn't seem to help.  I use tiger balm on the hand and it helps some but doesn't last.  Can anyone that may have had similar pain recommend something?  Im interested in CBD type products, if legal, but have no clue what to try.  I ordered a non THC creme from the internet, but it was a waste of money.  I know, I know, Im a wuss, lol.

I use a topical pain lotion compounded by a pharmacy in Smyrna. The lotion contains Ketamine, Lidocaine, and Pentocaine. The plus side is that since it is topical then the drugs do not get into your blood system like oral medications; however, you can still overdose if you try hard enough.

You must first search for a compounding pharmacy in your area, (unless you want to drive to Smyrna. 🙂 Then get your PCP to call in the prescription. Insurance does NOT pay for it, and cash price is around $275 IIRC, but it's 4 bottles that I only use maybe 1 per year. I use it locally and along my spine to block pain at the spine. The stuff doesn't reach too deep although it helps my shoulder out when it's hurting. It really knocks out pain in my hands and wrists. A friend of mine uses it for upper back and neck pain and loves it.

I hope this helps, but you need to get off the NSAIDs. They are NOT doing your kidneys any good.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Go to your local store and tell them you want Delta 8. Don't waste money on CBD. 

Do your diligence before you mess with D8.  Look at the process used to make it and decide if that is right for you.  Personally, I don't want to put anything in my body that is made by soaking a natural product in acid to turn it into something else.  In my opinion the only benefit of D8 over regular marijuana is that I can walk into any "CBD shop" and get all the D8 I want.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

Do your diligence before you mess with D8.  Look at the process used to make it and decide if that is right for you.  Personally, I don't want to put anything in my body that is made by soaking a natural product in acid to turn it into something else.  In my opinion the only benefit of D8 over regular marijuana is that I can walk into any "CBD shop" and get all the D8 I want.  

Good points. Everything comes with risk though.  Just ask people taking opioids. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Just think of the proven medical benefits many would be able to take advantage of if the the puritans in Nashville would get off their high horse.

It's interesting how the party that claims to be about freedom won't trust us with the devil's lettuce. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

It's interesting how the party that claims to be about freedom won't trust us with the devil's lettuce. 

It’s the whole pretense of righteousness and overt hypocrisy that’s maddening.

I’ll just leave it at that.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

I feel your hurt. I've been on Chemotherapy Treatments for a year now and I developed numbness in my hands and feet due to the side effects from my treatment. My hands sometimes are buzzy or feel thick and I get a burning feeling in the tips of my fingers and it sometimes keeps me from doing any small tack. My feet are numb but they don't have the burning sensation like my hands do, and the skin on my hands peel sometimes and crack. It's hard to bend my fingers sometimes. I to took the Gabapentin 300mg four times a day but I quit it due to it combined with my other meds that for a week straight I would literally pass out two or three times a day during that week, so I quit it. I really don't know what to tell you to use for the pain, so far I've learned to just live with it for now, but it sucks. If you find something that works for you please PM me and tell me about it. Good luck sir.

Yep, as I've said before; chemotherapy is a double-edged sword. Most of the times it kill cancer cells. sometimes other tissues as well. Chemo drugs within the last 8-10 years have been accepted by our cocs as a cause for neuropathy. Mine, in 08/09, told me it couldn't happen. Next year the medical community decided the drugs were likely the cause of so many patients getting neuropathy issues.

Mine started slow, and now are at a pretty high level. Gabapentin is a first stage joke. Doesn't help much. I was on 3600 mg per day and was ready to be bumped up until I asked for something different.

Pregambolin/Lyrica was and as far as I know still the next level pain drug for the neuropathy symptoms. I've been on it for almost 3 years and it does help. Not a cure, but it does help. Tramadol is the next stage, according to my medical staff. LOL! Yeah, you guys in our situation will understand that line. I have taken some Tramadol, but not on a daily basis. It helps, but again, it's not a curative. Just masks the pain.

Now about the CBD cremes...I use one produced locally for athritis in my hands. It works. That's all I can say. I have used it for knee pains as well, before and after knee replacements. Again, it worked there as well. Better than some of the custom pharmacy mixes and at a third the cost.

I'm getting a stronger mix next time to try on the foot pains. Been using 1000 and 1600 mg mix for the arthritis. But going for the 2000 for my feet.

DJTC45, I'm there with you on the foot pains. Slightly different though. Lack of sensation. Horrible balance. Can't easily walk on an uneven  surface. The once satorial use cane is now a must. Provides a trpod balance for me. The pains are sharp. Searing, lightning bolts as I call them. In the heels and thru the ankles and insteps. Thankfully not constant, but frequency is increasing. Swelling and tenderness, can't seem to get a comfortable sock or shoe. Using the diabetic socks now. They help. Hard sole shoes work best for me. My beloved New Balance walkers and running shoes are for short term wear only. Like around the house.

I find myself really missing walking. Always thought we'd start long walks and travel. Life sure does get interesting in the curves we get. Never thought that 3 years would make such a difference.

Gone up almost 2 shoe sizes now. And the 4E width is a must. Anything less is torture from the get-go.

Wish I could offer more insight to our problems fellows, but that's all I got. Prayers for us all.

• Like 2