Has anybody had any luck deer hunting lately?

Had work and other family activities all weekend so did not get out at all. I’ll be working this Saturday as well so Sunday is my only option. No matter what the weather I will be back out. The season is gonna be over and I’ve only had one buck that even somewhat tempted me all year so far. I have plenty of venison in the freezer so waiting on a big buck is fine. But if a fat doe pops out I may not be able to pass on the opportunity. If one blows at me I’m busting her on pure principle 😂

Good luck and hope y’all get a few more opportunities to hunt than I’ll have left this year. 

• Like 2

I was going to go today, but it was rather windy here. I don't like hunting in the wind. I've already put up one my son killed, and the two I killed. I'd like to get one more to make summer sausage. Maybe try some bologna or pepperoni too. Other than that, the freezer is about full.

• Like 3

I dropped a doe in the back corner of my property a couple weeks back. I have does out most mornings but usually as I am leaving for work. Had a big buck show up now and then through the late summer/early fall but he hasn't been back since rifle season started.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Me and little man went out a little while ago and he shot this doe. He's hunted about 30 minutes total this year, and has scored this and an 8 pointer. He thinks there isn't much to deer hunting.

zwkVnN9.jpg

My season sure hasn’t been like that! Haha But I also haven’t been able to get out this year like previous years. Congratulations to your son on the super fast successful hunting!

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I let several walk on Friday morning.  Oddly, I've had the experience more than once lately of seeing late season fawns with the does I've seen.

I did jump a bear on the way in - he was much more interested in the fallen apples than he was in me. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I let several walk on Friday morning.  Oddly, I've had the experience more than once lately of seeing late season fawns with the does I've seen.

I did jump a bear on the way in - he was much more interested in the fallen apples than he was in me. 

A bear??!!? You weren’t hunting locally I presume.

I probably would have encouraged him to let this one walk, but we were wanting to make a batch of summer sausage, and this was the perfect size. It also wouldn’t hurt to cull a few does around here.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Admin Team
42 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

A bear??!!? You weren’t hunting locally I presume.

I probably would have encouraged him to let this one walk, but we were wanting to make a batch of summer sausage, and this was the perfect size. It also wouldn’t hurt to cull a few does around here.

No, I was in north Georgia on some family property.  I was honestly hoping for some hogs.  They've been tearing up all kinds of stuff.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

No, I was in north Georgia on some family property.  I was honestly hoping for some hogs.  They've been tearing up all kinds of stuff.

I’ve never shot a hog. That would be pretty cool.

Edited by gregintenn

Got lucky this year, two eight point bucks, one on opening rifle and one on the 15th.  Both went to friends that don't hunt, now I am looking for a doe for me, and maybe another for one that went all summer sausage on the first one, if I get my doe.

qowX9ha.jpg

RzV54Ge.jpg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I'm not sure that's luck, Omega.

I've never made an entire deer into summer sausage until now. It's on the smoker. It's quite a bit of work!

Oh no, I don't process the deer for my friends, I drop them off at the processor after I field dress them.  Hunter's Harvest here does a whole deer as summer sausage for about $150, and $1 a lb for cheese and jalapeno if you so desire.  This year he paid $220 for fifteen 3lb logs, which he says is a good deal.  I have quartered them before for a friend that does his own processing, but that is as far as I will go, too much work to do a whole deer for them.  Me, I usually do a 15lb (5 logs), batch, but sometimes I will do two if I am comparing seasonings, cheeses etc.  This year I have a whole bunch summer sausage logs left, so may either skip it or make it late in the season.

• Like 1

I don't deer hunt much, if at all, but I do get talked into it by the guys that hunt here on the farm. One has had all his sons get their 1st deer here and his 13 year old bagged his 1st deer 2 weeks ago..........big beautiful 8 point. I told him to carry a baseball bat when he told his brothers since their first deers were does and a spike buck.  I even managed to pull the trigger on my 1st deer this year, a nice eating size doe. Now to just convince myself to actually get up early and go out in the cold to hunt I'd probably tag out up here.

• Like 1

I hadn’t  killed a dear since 2010 when my wife started med school and our lives got crazy, then with little babies around and her work schedule never could make time. Got on a lease this year and went one afternoon on Tuesday before thanksgiving. Not huge but the ole buck fever wouldn’t let me pass him.  Hope to go another day before seasons out 

59BBE183-2430-4083-AB67-545472EFE05C.thumb.jpeg.1c79557eced6ea76c0067346fc0beaa8.jpeg59BBE183-2430-4083-AB67-545472EFE05C.thumb.jpeg.1c79557eced6ea76c0067346fc0beaa8.jpeg

1AD237DE-1656-47AC-BF6C-998896A20721.jpeg

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Way to get back out there, Lumber_Jack!

Killed it with a Savage 99e .300savage to boot 😯. Folded like a wet dishrag. I thought about making a post about how continually impressed I am by the .300 savage round. Wish it was more popular so I could find more ammo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1