Nicest rifle Ive owned, Winchester 1886

Spots

So did some trading around and ended up with a bucket list rifle gor me. Winchester 1886 .45-70. 24" barrel, full length mag tube, unfired in the orginal box. I am not much on safe queens so Ive got to decide to either shoot it or sell it off and buy one used that I will shoot. Anyway, wanted to share. 

20211207_164504.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I agree with the others........shoot it.  It is a classic design and made to be shot.  Of course, if it was an original, I would reply differently, but it is a reproduction of a classic design.  I love shooting my '73 Winchester.  Two joys of life.......... shooting lever action rifles and shooting pump action shot guns.  The stuff dreams are made of.

• Like 1
On 12/8/2021 at 7:36 PM, gregintenn said:

Crescent buttplate and 45-70….not a combination for the timid.

Definitely. My Henry 45/70 has a nice rubber recoil pad from the factory that " helps ", but still builds up some hurt after several shots. Still fun tho.

With that size cartridge, you can only expect some side effects, LOL.

Enjoy...........

23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

So you sell this, buy the 95, and then put it up for sale. What da heck??!!??

I ended up with a Browning 1886 SRC.  I thought i really wanted the 95, but you (i think it was you) were correct and the 1886 handles better. The 95 is also fancier than what im comfortable with in the woods while the browning src has a tiny bit if wear that makes it fit like a broken in boot. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 1886 Browning with a 26 inch octagon barrel that was manufactured in 1986. In my safe, it’s labeled as “The Rifle”. I shoot it every once in a while, when I need to put a BIG SMILE on my face. Then I watch my friends shoot it and get to watch their smiles. It’s the very last gun I would sell. What’s it good for?, FUN. Also helps if you reload. 

You can find powder puff loads on line. Look for 45-70 reduced loads. 
https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/reduced-loads-for-45-70.23766/
There are many other reloading sites you will find. IF you find Ammo in a store (Remington/Winchester/Federal ETC) it will probably be loaded to be safe in the old trap door Springfield if it’s not labeled differently. Hope this helps. 
Take care. 
Clark