Coyotes Mating season

tacops

Just a reminder to those with pets or small children.  Now through February / early March coyotes are very active and tend to be more aggressive.  At 0500 Friday I let my Boxer out for his morning perimeter check and business run.  He came back and had breakfast then he and the Boston Terrier went back out at 0520.  Within 30 seconds I heard my Boxer going nuts and I grabbed a light and ran out the back door.  I heard a large scuffle on the ridge about 25 yards behind the house and saw eyes moving up the ridge.  My Boston came up out of the creek and made his way to the house while the Boxer held perimeter duties.  The Boston had suffered puncture wounds and severe trauma to both shoulders.  This all happened in 15 to 30 seconds.  My little buddy is still at the vet and the prognosis is still up in the air.  My question is does anyone have any experience / recommendations for a night vision scope?  The time has come to release my wrath on some coyotes.

• Wow 1

Wow! Hope you’re dog is okay and heals up soon. If you want to get a NV setup without breaking the bank but still not be buying junk, look at the Sightmark Wraith. The version I have is the HD version but they came out with a 4K version no. Would definitely help you out with what you’re needing. You can record video day or night with it as well. 

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, rugerla1 said:

Wow! Hope you’re dog is okay and heals up soon. If you want to get a NV setup without breaking the bank but still not be buying junk, look at the Sightmark Wraith. The version I have is the HD version but they came out with a 4K version no. Would definitely help you out with what you’re needing. You can record video day or night with it as well. 

I just got back from the vet with my Boston.  He has 4 drain tubes, stitches, lots of meds and an attitude (to be expected).  Time will tell as to outcome but the vet thought he might fair better at home.  Vet could not get him to eat anything and he ate soon after getting home.  The wife and he are now piled up binging Netflix for the weekend, then back to the vet Monday.

I am looking at the Wraiths and some versions of the ATNs.  I was just hoping some folks on here had some first hand experience with some models that have performed well.  I don't have to have all the bells and whistles, just suitable clarity to see and identify targets out to about 150 yards max and good accuracy.  Just need to take car of my property area.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Alleycat72 said:

Nightvision vs thermal. 

Do you have any experience with either? What do you prefer and do you have experience shooting at night? What is your budget? 

I have limited experience with both but it was with early version stuff.  Equipment has advanced a great deal since then.  I fear thermal may be out of my desired price range.  I had hoped to find something that could provide target identification and accurate shot placement from 50 to 150 yards for under a grand.

51 minutes ago, tacops said:

I just got back from the vet with my Boston.  He has 4 drain tubes, stitches, lots of meds and an attitude (to be expected).  Time will tell as to outcome but the vet thought he might fair better at home.  Vet could not get him to eat anything and he ate soon after getting home.  The wife and he are now piled up binging Netflix for the weekend, then back to the vet Monday.

I am looking at the Wraiths and some versions of the ATNs.  I was just hoping some folks on here had some first hand experience with some models that have performed well.  I don't have to have all the bells and whistles, just suitable clarity to see and identify targets out to about 150 yards max and good accuracy.  Just need to take car of my property area.

Glad to hear that it looks better than it sounded. Full recovery is in my prayers!

You would be happy out to 150 with the Wraith for sure and can always upgrade to a better IR. The factory works fine but there are much better ones available if you find you enjoy messing around with it. I’m going to get a thermal next, but it’s a big, big price difference to get into that game. The technology isn’t cheap so neither are the optics. They sure are fun though! Good luck in the hunt and hope you bust the yote that got your Boston!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tacops said:

I appreciate the prayers, he needs them.  Is this the model of Wraith you are speaking of or another one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW21G53/?coliid=I18PW891SP4V4B&colid=EUWPSCIY0UTK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Yes, that’s the one I have. This is the newer version: 

Sightmark Wraith 4K Max 3-24x50 w/IR Digital Night Vision Riflescope, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874X3BM7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VC2BZTAT9WHG3890W3ZH

I don’t know alleycat72 except for seeing him here on TGO. He probably has much more experience with the NV and Thermal scopes than I do. I just wanted to give you an option to look at until someone else that’s used them more than I have was able to add to the conversation. Good luck in your search, hope you find what works for you soon. 

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

I don't have much experience with the lower end stuff. I've spent 100s of hours behind NV and thermal. I currently run an N-vision NOX on a 308 mostly. If I'm in an area with a higher human density, I'll sometimes drop back to a 5.56. 

If you've never hunted at night there are a few things to consider. 

Animals behave quite a bit different at night in regard to humans. You're tactics for day hunting can be used at night, but a coyote may not run away just because it sees you. Quite often it will come in to investigate you. I will circle down wind. I've watched one Stay within 30 yards of my partner and keeping pace the entire time. They can see the red glow from the ir light if it's in the 850 nm range. If it's never been hunted, it's probably not an issue. Some dogs look just like coyotes in a thermal. I always ask the coyote if it's a dog if I'm in an area with dogs. If I have any doubt, I'll literally say " hay dog ". If it's a dog, it will go nuts and start barking. A coyote will never make a sound, but it will watch you intently. 

In Tennessee you can "hunt" coyotes at night....yet.  You do have every right to protect yourself, your animals, and your property from coyotes if they are attacking. If I was hunting in Texas, South Carolina, ect.. this is what I'd do.

1: get a game camera and find out when it's coming it.

2: make sure it has a reason to be in front of the camera 

3: be ready at the time the camera indicates activity. 

A 2nd opinion would be a game call. I've used electronics, mouth calls, and my voice. I called a coyote just to get it's attention while my partner got into position. His shooting vector was too close in line with a structure. Afterwards I turned around just to have one 20 yards behind me sneaking up on me.

A 3rd option would be to find some good trappers in the area.  I don't trap, but it could be an issue with your dogs.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

I have one of the ATN models. It's a couple of years old and I know they have a newer version now. I've taken several yotes with it and it's good out to about 125-150 yards. I have mine mounted to a 20" AR .223 and it's dropped all of them with one shot. I like that it can be used in the daytime as well. The big con for mine is that it's heavy. I think the newer ones are lighter. It uses 4AA batteries and I purchased the Kental rechargeables and they work nice. You just need to keep them charged. I don't keep the batteries connected when not in use and that seems to work better. I keep the battery cover loose. I also purchased a separate IR light off amazon that is mounted to the gun and has a pressure switch. I think it was about $30 and really lights up the area. 

• Like 1

Alleycat 72 

Thanks very much for the information.  I am only looking to protect my property and pets at this time.  My longest shot I would be taking would be at most 100 yds and they tend to move closer than that.  I have ordered a hunting light that includes red, green, white and IR Red leds.  This will probably cover most of my area but I may go ahead and order a Wraith or ATN as well, if I can make up my mind which one.  The wraith or Atn are less than the vet bill.

With the Wraith 4K, due to the design of the mount ...
With the mount as far back as it'll go on the upper, the extreme rear of the scope is 1/2" in front of the castle nut. (ETA: On an AR)
This is w/o the rubber eye cup attached.
In comparison, most of my regular scopes are set +/-1/2" behind the castle nut.

I haven't mounted it to a traditional styled rifle.
But IMHO, this is an oversight and a design flaw.

The setup works ... but I don't like it being that far forward.

YMMV

Edited by DL126
  • Like 1

Well my little dog is healing up pretty good so far.  Still draining and on anti-biotics but he seems to be moving about and eating well.  I have been using the red light system when I let the dogs out at night.  I have seen quite a few critters of different kinds but no yotes as yet.  I just hit the buy button on a Wraith for the purpose of protection of my pets on my property.  If Tennessee ever legalizes night hunting for coyotes I will heed the advice of Alleycat72 and invest in a decent thermal scope.  I appreciate the input from everybody.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, tacops said:

Well my little dog is healing up pretty good so far.  Still draining and on anti-biotics but he seems to be moving about and eating well.  I have been using the red light system when I let the dogs out at night.  I have seen quite a few critters of different kinds but no yotes as yet.  I just hit the buy button on a Wraith for the purpose of protection of my pets on my property.  If Tennessee ever legalizes night hunting for coyotes I will heed the advice of Alleycat72 and invest in a decent thermal scope.  I appreciate the input from everybody.

Glad to hear your dog is doing better! Congrats on the Wraith purchase. If you want to be able to take it on and off of your rifle check out this mount by ADM. An actual return to zero QD mount. Absolutely love it and it does what it says it will. 
I just ordered my first thermal optic a couple days ago and it’s delivering tomorrow. I’ll have it in hopes of TN passing it, but can also go to other states and hunt until the.  I have family in Missouri and Texas so I have to plan some trips. 
Give your dog a pat on the head for me and I hope that he’s back to 100% soon!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I just ordered my first thermal optic a couple days ago and it’s delivering tomorrow. I’ll have it in hopes of TN passing it, but can also go to other states and hunt until the.  I have family in Missouri and Texas so I have to plan some trips. 
Give your dog a pat on the head for me and I hope that he’s back to 100% soon!

I will be looking forward to a review on your new optic and thanks for the well wishes for my buddy.  Oh, I will check out that QD mount, Thanks.

• Like 1

I have the ADM mount from Outdoor Legacy Gear.
It places the scope in the same position on the rifle as the supplied factory mount.

I have been told by ADM, (via email), that the mount listed below will also work for the Wraith.
Said they were bringing in a Wraith yesterday for testing.
This style would allow for a more rearward positioning of the scope.
I haven't yet received an update from any tests on their behalf.

https://www.admmfg.com/ad-b3-c-cantilever-acog-base

For bolt guns ....
https://sightmark.com/collections/mounts/products/wraith-long-mount-for-bolt-action-rifles

Edited by DL126
  • Like 2

I ordered the Wraith HD 2-16x28 due to the increased field of view at closer distances.  It arrived today and I have just been out trying it for view and clarity.  When I decided which version I wanted I went to order and it just happened that they went on sale at 20 percent off so I got it for 390.00 + tax.  I realize this is a budget unit in the world of night scopes but I am very pleased so far.  Once adjusted, 25 to 150 yards is very clear and it appears that it would exceed that with no problem.  The supplied IR light worked fine for this range but I also have another more powerful weapon mount IR if needed sometime.  I plan to mount it and sight it in this week.  I hope TN adopts night hunting for yotes so I can justify going thermal down the road.  My Boston is doing well and will get a lot of stitches out in about a week.  I also learned during my vet visits that "Hydro Therapy" is an expensive term for rinsing with warm water.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, tacops said:

I ordered the Wraith HD 2-16x28 due to the increased field of view at closer distances.  It arrived today and I have just been out trying it for view and clarity.  When I decided which version I wanted I went to order and it just happened that they went on sale at 20 percent off so I got it for 390.00 + tax.  I realize this is a budget unit in the world of night scopes but I am very pleased so far.  Once adjusted, 25 to 150 yards is very clear and it appears that it would exceed that with no problem.  The supplied IR light worked fine for this range but I also have another more powerful weapon mount IR if needed sometime.  I plan to mount it and sight it in this week.  I hope TN adopts night hunting for yotes so I can justify going thermal down the road.  My Boston is doing well and will get a lot of stitches out in about a week.  I also learned during my vet visits that "Hydro Therapy" is an expensive term for rinsing with warm water.

First off, glad he’s getting better! And yeah vets tend to not be cheap in most cases but glad they’re around for sure.

Second, glad to hear your NV showed up and you’re enjoying it  I’m not sure which IR comes with that but I didn’t realize mine had adjustment and had it on flood and couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Tightened up the beam and BAM, huge difference. Hope you pop some yotes with it soon!

• Like 1