Weight Loss

pop pop

I have lost enough weight that I can now wear an IWB holster in front of my strong side hip, comfortably at the 1:00 to 2:00 "o clock" position, and draw it easily. Lost a lot of my spare tire. And guys that is a good thing for me. 

Am planning to wear it to church WED night to see how sitting for a period of time feels, then if that works out will need to practice the draw stork now to ingrain the feel in my memory with my new presentation. 

Previously been wearing my SW 9 MM EZ at the 4:00 just behind the strong side hip. Snub in my strong side pocket, however, will move it to my weak side pocket. 

I have gone from 295 to 221 in the past year and half. My last A1C was 6.0. Who Hoo! Dropped 4 paint sizes. Hope I can hold it off. Lost my appetite.

Let you know how things work out.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I am diabetic and Dr's changed my meds and put me on Ozempic. It killed my appetite. Lost 28# recently but lost the other by hard work and cutting down on what I eat, and eating better choices

(Low Carb) tnhawk. My A1C was 5.9 (Dr wants it 6.5 or less) today. Just came from the VA Dr visit. Weight loss is the hardest thing for a diabetic to accomplish. Carbs go straight to fat.  

When I was 295 (18 months ago) I was miserable and decided to get it off. Takes a committed change of direction to get it off and keep it off. 

Edited t add; even got some side benefit, my bad right knee pain has eased up somewhat.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2

I fell victim to the quarantine 15. I was already a bit tubby, but now it really shows.  So far all efforts to lose it have failed as I do have some physical limitations and hard exercise is not an option. However, I can do light exercises.

I'm open to suggestions. 

• Like 1

From what I've observed and my personal experience, weight loss is about 90% what/how much you eat.  Exercise is good, but the table is where you drop pounds.  Diabetes, etc may complicate this formula, I don't know (and don't want to learn).  I've consistently run about 15 miles/week this year, but started eating stupid again a couple months ago (stupid = sub sandwiches, chips, cookies, Dr. Pepper, lots of bread).  Work made do it and all that.  Sure enough, I'm 10 pounds heavier.  While eating stupid, I ran 15-20 miles per week (and didn't go slower), but the scales didn't care.  I've been through this cycle several times and it just confirms that, for me at least, food is everything.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I fell victim to the quarantine 15. I was already a bit tubby, but now it really shows.  So far all efforts to lose it have failed as I do have some physical limitations and hard exercise is not an option. However, I can do light exercises.

I'm open to suggestions. 

Get a road bike and ride it.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

From what I've observed and my personal experience, weight loss is about 90% what/how much you eat.  Exercise is good, but the table is where you drop pounds.  Diabetes, etc may complicate this formula, I don't know (and don't want to learn).  I've consistently run about 15 miles/week this year, but started eating stupid again a couple months ago (stupid = sub sandwiches, chips, cookies, Dr. Pepper, lots of bread).  Work made do it and all that.  Sure enough, I'm 10 pounds heavier.  While eating stupid, I ran 15-20 miles per week (and didn't go slower), but the scales didn't care.  I've been through this cycle several times and it just confirms that, for me at least, food is everything.  

I try to limit my intake but exercise allows me to consume a bit more and burn more at the same time.  I enjoy eating lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I ride some too.  I will run in almost anything short of lightning and the colder, the better.  I’ll take 10F over 90F for running weather any time.  However, I am a total pansy weather-wise on a road bike.  A cold 30 mph headwind is just a morale buster for me.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Admin Team
11 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I ride some too.  I will run in almost anything short of lightning and the colder, the better.  I’ll take 10F over 90F for running weather any time.  However, I am a total pansy weather-wise on a road bike.  A cold 30 mph headwind is just a morale buster for me.  

It’s hard on those cold, damp days where it seems like you just can’t get warm. 

7 hours ago, pop pop said:

I am diabetic and Dr's changed my meds and put me on Ozempic. It killed my appetite. Lost 28# recently but lost the other by hard work and cutting down on what I eat, and eating better choices

(Low Carb) tnhawk. My A1C was 5.9 (Dr wants it 6.5 or less) today. Just came from the VA Dr visit. Weight loss is the hardest thing for a diabetic to accomplish. Carbs go straight to fat.  

When I was 295 (18 months ago) I was miserable and decided to get it off. Takes a committed change of direction to get it off and keep it off. 

Edited t add; even got some side benefit, my bad right knee pain has eased up somewhat.

I'm in the same boat. VA doc put me on Ozempic a couple months ago. Lost 10# +, lost appetite,  not hungry, nothing tastes really good. Used to eat a burger, now about half & I'm done. A1C down to 6+. Doc was pleased,  but takes some getting used to. Would like to lose 20 more. Would be easier on my knees & legs as well.

Good luck brother, hang in there.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Not sure if my knees are up to it. Don't really trust who I'd be sharing the road with either. 

I can walk a mile or two. But have to take a short break about every half mile. Damned COPD. The muscles are willing, but I run out of wind. 🙁

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

I try to limit my intake but exercise allows me to consume a bit more and burn more at the same time.  I enjoy eating lol.

This.

My understanding has come down to this: your body is a simple machine.

Calories in - calories burned = 

= 0, you stay the same.

>= 0, you gain weight.

<= 0, you lose weight.

Tip whatever side of the scale suits your fancy. When I do both, pounds come off quick. 

A Peanut butter jelly sandwich and an apple for lunch WILL get you through (I work a physical job, am 6'4" 250 lbs). That 2400 calorie Firehouse® Steak and Cheese combo sure is tasty, but... That was JUST lunch???!! And you hit Hardee's for a biscuit and taters with a coke for breakfast?

The math is right there, ballpark it to the nearest 100 calories, you'll figure it out real quick.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yep.  I would like to find more time for exercise. I don't enjoy running, I do enjoy cycling, but between the traffic and my youngest coming along, I stick to the greenbelt and neighborhood. 

Exercise to feel better, eat to manage weight. Easy preaching, hard living. 🙂

For me it's portion control. I'm a stress eater and when it's good, it's hard to stop before I'm stuffed. 

@Grayfox54... stick with the walking. Do you have an inhaler to help keep you open long enough to make it through your walk?

Edited by peejman

I have an inhaler, but very rarely use it. Nor do I take medication for my COPD.  Normal, everyday activities go just fine. Its when I exert myself that I have trouble breathing.  I was fine until I got so sick back in 2019. What really pisses me off is that before then I used to walk 3 miles a day, every day just for exercise. No problem. Could have done more if I had the time. Walking and hiking the woods was a favorite thing for me. Now I'm just not up to it anymore and getting fat to boot.  🙁

Getting old sucks! 💩

For most people the largest obstacle to maintaining a healthy weight will between their 2 ears. I've seen it go both ways for a person to be "pre diabetic". 1 gets their act together and diet straightened out and the other says F it and embraces the "betes" . 🙄

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I have an inhaler, but very rarely use it. Nor do I take medication for my COPD.  Normal, everyday activities go just fine. Its when I exert myself that I have trouble breathing.  I was fine until I got so sick back in 2019. What really pisses me off is that before then I used to walk 3 miles a day, every day just for exercise. No problem. Could have done more if I had the time. Walking and hiking the woods was a favorite thing for me. Now I'm just not up to it anymore and getting fat to boot.  🙁

Getting old sucks! 💩

Give that inhaler a pull before you go for a walk, that's what it's for. I'm not a doctor, but have had allergy related asthma issues. While it may be called a "rescue" inhaler, you don't have to use it that way. I was advised to use it as a preventative measure before I exercised instead of waiting until i felt the constriction.  Asthma is worse in cold weather. 

You'll probably feel better and be able to walk further, which helps you feel better, which helps you walk further....

Losing weight is pretty hard, mentally.

Losing weight is pretty simple, physically:

<= 20g of carbs per day is losing weight.

> 20g of carbs you're gaining weight.

I have a problem with the first one. I eat like crap because crappy food is prevalent in my household.

12 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Losing weight is pretty hard, mentally.

Losing weight is pretty simple, physically:

<= 20g of carbs per day is losing weight.

> 20g of carbs you're gaining weight.

I have a problem with the first one. I eat like crap because crappy food is prevalent in my household.

The problem with many is they hear low carb and supplement with 1# of fat in a "carb free" wrap loaded with salt and sugar and 0 exercise. 💪🙂💪 nailed it lol.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I eat like crap because crappy food is prevalent in my household.

That's big part of my problem. Living alone and cooking for one is not good. I'm a decent cook, I just don't like to. 🙁

As the old saying goes: If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

That's big part of my problem. Living alone and cooking for one is not good. I'm a decent cook, I just don't like to. 🙁

As the old saying goes: If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy. 😉

Understood. same here.

Just come from my Pulmonologist. Had full blown breathing test. I have COPD/Asthma and have been treated for it for years now. My test results were great, and they even did the two squirts of albuterol then blow into the tube part of the test. My numbers went from 75 to 79 in 4 minutes after the 2 puffs on the buterol.  Greyfox, seriously take the 2 hits on the buteroal canister before starting the walk. Test showed it helped me this morning. The tester said, if she could have waited the full 10 minutes, my numbers would have been up another 5 points, at the least, so it really helps. 

Guys about the only way to get the weight off is not put it into the mouth to start with. I went through a period, a year of riding bikes 50 miles per week, every week. Never lost a pound that I could say bike riding helped in weight loss. Just didn't work for me. Have a treadmill and have walked 2 miles  a day, for years, except when knees would not allow. Helped with blood sugar levels, but not to loose weight. 

It takes less food in, better choices of healthier food (low carbs), and exercise to get it off. Then one must work to keep it off. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, peejman said:

Give that inhaler a pull before you go for a walk, that's what it's for. I'm not a doctor, but have had allergy related asthma issues. While it may be called a "rescue" inhaler, you don't have to use it that way. I was advised to use it as a preventative measure before I exercised instead of waiting until i felt the constriction.  Asthma is worse in cold weather. 

You'll probably feel better and be able to walk further, which helps you feel better, which helps you walk further....

If it's anything like my son's it also seems to be an appetite suppressant.