Weight Loss

pop pop

Gradually over 5 years went from 356 to 270 lbs.  Was aided by three surgeries (two total knee replacements and a triple by-pass).  Lost my last 25 lbs during the pandemic while having a diabetic ulcer on my foot that limited my walking.  I can tell that my stomach capacity has greatly been reduced and am satisfied eating for taste and not bulk.  In other words I eat one sugar free cookie instead of a bag of cookies (or my weakness potato chips).  Would like to get down to 250 lbs.

• Like 2

For me, and what Ive seen, weight loss or gain comes at the table, but fitness and physical ability comes from activity, whether it be workouts or manual labor. 

I run between 230 and 250. I do very little "dedicated" exercises, but both of my jobs keep me active. At the plant i average 9-10 miles a day walking at a fast pace 5 days a week and on weekends I do a lot of gaff climbing and heavy lifting, mostly on ridges and embankments for tree work. I will bulk up in the winter and slim down in the summer but Im not a heavy eater. Breakfast is normally a bottle of whole milk, skip lunch and then eat a 1800-2000 calorie supper of beans, taters, chops, and garden veggies. Always finish eating and give it 3 hours before bed time. So far its kept me healthy enough. 

Even if weight loss comes mostly from diet we should all still stay as active as possible. We lose 10% of our muscle mass each year after age 40. Occasionally I'll see a person in their late 70's and 80's that has taken care of themselves and seem happy. That's good motivation for me. 

• Like 3

I have ridden bicycles regularly since 1976. I still have to not overeat to keep weight off though. During the pandemic when everything was shutdown I rode more and ate out less. Went for my annual checkup and the Dr. noticed I had lost 14 pounds since the year before. I told him it was due to Covid. He said "I didn't know you have Covid". I told him I didn't but since I couldn't go anywhere (especially restaurants) I rode more miles than ever so the weigh came off. I rode 7,400 miles in 2020. My usual goal for a year is 6,000 miles.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Even if weight loss comes mostly from diet we should all still stay as active as possible. We lose 10% of our muscle mass each year after age 40. Occasionally I'll see a person in their late 70's and 80's that has taken care of themselves and seem happy. That's good motivation for me. 

Dad has had both knees replaced. When he started therapy for the 1st one, he made a comment that's stuck with me....  He said he had no idea how weak he'd gotten. That motivates me to keep weight training when I don't really feel like it. I don't do anything heavy,  most higher reps with lighter weights for better endurance and less risk of hurting myself. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, peejman said:

Dad has had both knees replaced. When he started therapy for the 1st one, he made a comment that's stuck with me....  He said he had no idea how weak he'd gotten. That motivates me to keep weight training when I don't really feel like it. I don't do anything heavy,  most higher reps with lighter weights for better endurance and less risk of hurting myself. 

Same situation with my dad. He's only 65 but he's really stopped being active the past 5 years and it's showing. I had him over doing light duty with a chainsaw and he was worn out and winded after a few minutes. I beg him to come to the gym with me but he won't do it. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Especially this time of year. Let's face it, from Thanksgiving to New Year should really be called the fat season. Over eating is the tradition. 

I think the #1 New Year's resolution is to lose weight. I know it'll be mine. We shall see what happens. 🙄

I've had a standard practice for many years now. I start looking at my next piece of new exercise equipment in late summer, early fall. Then I ramp up "chatter" about said equipment when the new year approaches and I especially target those that say their resolution is to get fit. Then around groundhog day I started trolling the classifieds 🙂

32 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Especially this time of year. Let's face it, from Thanksgiving to New Year should really be called the fat season. Over eating is the tradition. 

I think the #1 New Year's resolution is to lose weight. I know it'll be mine. We shall see what happens. 🙄

Yep.  I run pretty early in the morning and I haven't seen anybody walking, running, or riding in months.  That will all change in a couple weeks.  Then they will disappear and come back in May before their beach trip.  Happens every year.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Then they will disappear and come back in May before their beach trip.  Happens every year.  

When I worked in the produce biz there was literally a bump in salad volume 6 weeks before Memorial Day. Managers all called it swimsuit season.

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Yep.  I run pretty early in the morning and I haven't seen anybody walking, running, or riding in months.  That will all change in a couple weeks.  Then they will disappear and come back in May before their beach trip.  Happens every year.  

January is horrible at Planet Fitness. All the new years resolution folks show up around the 2nd or 3rd week. They disappear by March though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have tried other fat-burning pills before and they would give me anxiety or panic attacks and wellabs does not. Gives you a great energy boost, makes you a little sweaty naturally, and overall has been working great! Doesn’t make you sick either like other diet pills. 

Edited by tintrestore
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, deerslayer said:
On 12/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, Erik88 said:

January is horrible at Planet Fitness. All the new years resolution folks show up around the 2nd or 3rd week. They disappear by March though. 

Didn’t see any new years resolution types this morning 😂

Did you happen to run by a Planet Fitness to see if they're all there?

• Haha 1
On 12/23/2021 at 11:56 AM, Grayfox54 said:

Do fat burning pills really work? I always that they were just snake oil and never gave them any serious thought. 

They work if you work. It's not a magical pill that's going to make you lose weight if you are eating double cheeseburgers and fries for every meal. Years ago I got pretty heavy in my mind, kind of like i am now. The last year or so has been bad to me I'm up almost 40 pounds over where I would like to be. Anyways, I used a thermogenic fat burner along with eating well and exercise and lost a ton of weight. I went from 260 back to around 215 in no time at all. I was running 5 miles or more every day and doing some light lifting. If you have a caffeine sensitivity they are not for you, you will gain more energy from them and I actually had better focus while on them. I actually just felt better mentally while on them too, maybe it was the eating right and exercising 🙂 Basically if you need something to get you over the hump and get going it will work for you.

7 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Start doing meth! They're all pretty skinny. Think of the savings at the dentist, too!

Good suggestion.  I can recommend double pneumonia as well.  During my last bout I lost something like 21 lbs. in 21 days ...

• Wow 2